Rising Storm 2

It’s a tactical first person shooter. Helicopters are not on every map, and when they are present they are there to deepen the gameplay of the infantry, not to be a force unto themselves.

2 Likes

This…

The helicopters are a balance thing, they take away guns on the ground but offer the US side a way to quickly deploy infantry behind the lines, at a cost of making quite a bit of noise. They are a addition to the game, not a focus.

The loach will also spot enemies like a recon plane, allows the option to drop smoke to mark fire support, and has a minigun for directly supporting ground troops. The Cobra simply Cobras.

Ah yes I was only talking about the Huey you see, but yes indeed. A loach and Cobra take way infantry guns on the ground, and the spotting of the loach only works when the enemy is moving. otherwise it does nothing.

1 Like

So the open maps are fantastic, I love stalking the woods for innocent victims!

And in the game… :wink:

1 Like

If there’s an image that would describe my playstyle when I’m on NVA/VC and I get the RPG / Coach Gun kit:

1 Like

2 Likes

I played it a bit over the weekend and enjoyed it - it definitely has that Red Orchestra feel of where when you miss it’s not the gun that’s doing the missing.

In public servers there is a whole bunch of team killing, general chaos and people running in every single ordinal direction of the compass at once. The two sniper slots and the helo spaces are pretty popular as well.

I couldn’t go more than one 45 min session without having to go do something else (real life etc), so while I liked it I’ll sit out of this one. It needs some time and a good team to play to get the most out of it.

2 Likes

So, part of me wonders if RO/RO2/RS/RS2’s gameplay mechanics are partially to mostly at fault here.

RS2 is better at this than say RO2 and RS, but compare the time to kill, communications, respawn options, and health/medical system in RS2 versus Squad, or even Battlefield. Teamwork is hard because people die quickly, there’s no way to revive downed teammates or heal wounded ones, and the respawn points are frequently relatively far away from the front.

RS2 introduced the Squad Leader / Squad Tunnel respawn mechanic which I think was a great addition, but the lack of a medic class and proximity-based voice chat definitely ups the chaos a bit.

1 Like

I also find that with some of the lighting, players often look similar if you don’t get a real good luck, and because it’s so easy to die, people don’t hesitate, they just fire. I know I’ve killed a couple people by accident because of it.

1 Like

A little of column A, a little of B. Also a lot of new players that don’t know the mechanics and maps yet, always helps the chaos. I remember the free weekends in RO2 being awesome to level up :wink:

I’ve taken an afinity for either the grenade launcher, or the RPG and sneaking up on the favourite dropzones. I always enjoy hunting down the survivors of those incidents with the hunting shotgun, aptly named imho.

1 Like

RO2 had squad leaders that functioned the same way as currently, only difference is the tunnel for one side.

I’d love a local voip, and I’m kinda shocked it’s not in the game. Medics I’m less sure about. The ease of dying has always felt like an intentional choice in RO world. At least since I’ve been playing the measure of a successful team is how well they’re able to coordinate, utilize fire support, concealment, and above all else movement in numbers to force an opponent out of an area, then interdict and overwhelm their ability to reinforce. This goes hand in hand with quick death, if players aren’t dying, how can reinforcements become a factor? A more in depth healing system would slow down play, especially for the assaulting side, while I feel revive would turn already madcap scrums for the objective into an interminable siege fight.

Firstly, get gud. Secondly I find the easiest, most rapid way of determining team is infantry backpacks. The American forces where large bulking field packs, the Vietnamese wear slim, tapering sacks. My VID process is usually backpack → uniform color → head wear.

Explosives are a distraction on the path to optimal space age murder momentum. For the killing of commies from 5 to 500m, I always use the M-16A1. Accept no substitutes.

1 Like

Well, for sure. I’m terrible at the game. Just such a different style. Also lack of experience.

Same goes for id of enemy forces… that’s just lack of play time. The factors I mentioned play into it, but it’s nothing that can’t be overcome by playing more.

To be clear I’m not advocating for a medic class- For better or worse heavy chaos has always been a part of Tripwire’s RedRising series. I kinda like it- I think the games have always captured a grizzly side of the fight that’s often not found in the likes of ArmA or Squad.

It’s waaaaaaaaaay too fun to use, isn’t it? I love that the buckshot distribution is actually well-modeled instead of the damage curve dropping to zero around 15 feet away. On the US side I’ve had a lot of fun using the stake-out version of their shotgun as well. RO/RS has always had a great feeling of ‘oomph’ to their weapons and RS2 is no different.

Frankly, unintentional team killing in RO is like gravity, it just happens. I wouldn’t sweat it too bad. The only thing authoritatively recommend is if you have a chance to check your map before throwing a frag, do so.

nothing is more frustrating than working your way into a cheeki flank on an objective and then getting killed by a friendly frag.

1 Like

I don’t follow you. What do you not get about a mobile explosive ordnance delivery device… Are you feeling a bit sickly today perhaps?

With little exception, there are few problems that can’t be solved with a four round burst of 5.56. I get 35 of those without resupplying. You get three RPGs. The murder momentum can’t, won’t, don’t stop.

2 Likes

It’s funny - At first I was kind of salty at getting killed numerous times without ever seeing the guy who shot at me.

But then I noticed in the event log that on several occasions when I had shot indiscriminately at an archway far away in hopes of suppressing them, I killed one or two players. In effect I killed several players without seeing them either.

Now less salty. Now less squinty. ABM, SAS.

Always Be Moving

Shoot At Something

1 Like

The first one is free to own today. Obviously mainly a MP game, so not super handy forever (although RO2 is doing ok), but great for the price :slight_smile:

1 Like