RotorX Helicopter Build Thread

Well… :poop: happens.

2 Likes

Glad the pilot is OK, sadly that helicopter is completely destroyed.

1 Like

Yep. It had served Mark for 20 years. Glad I got to fly it. Mark is an icon within our little Rotorway community. We need him back ASAP.

4 Likes

What a bummer! :cry:

Kinda sim-related. Late last spring two sim buddies visited us in NJ. One, who up to this point I had not met after 10 years of online flight together, came all the way from Belgium. On day two we visited Old Rhinebeck. The flying there wasn’t to start for another month but the museum was open. As we were the only customers, they gave us a personal tour after we helped move some planes around. One of their nicer machines is a Spirit of Saint Louis replica. One of us asked why the circular brush patterns on the sheet metal. The answer was that it looks nice and hides scratches and imperfect bends.

I figured I would give the technique a try in a spot that nobody will ever see.

Here’s before:

and after.

It only took an extra half hour and the result looks decent (better than the photo). You can see in the top shot on the pilot side (a/c left) panel, I got a bit too aggressive with the hammer. In the bottom shot the blemish is a little harder to see.

7 Likes

I did something similar in my SimBox, for the same reason.

But instead of a neat circular pattern, I moved the rotating brush around in a random pattern.

This was also a technique used to surface treat sheet metal that also dulled it a bit.

3 Likes

I finished the doghouse. No more Dzus fasteners to install!

15 Likes

I’ll trade you my porch…

3 Likes

Looking really nice @smokinhole. :+1:

Wheels

I would take that trade but not the commute !

3 Likes

Thanks @wheelsup_cavu

That looks like a fun li’l shakey egg! It also looks like something you could easily do severe harm to yourself with so please be careful whit that thing! Measure twice, cut once but quintuple check!

2 Likes

You sure…?

9 Likes

Pfft. Birmingham in the morning as the sunlight glints of the smog and the traffic gets violent has that beaten.

6 Likes

Get in line! I asked first…

2 Likes

Hey, listen @Troll. Its up to him. Scandinavian paradise or urban collapsed hell. I know what I’d choose.
Hence why I’m sat in a metal box with the doors locked in Birmingham at night. Its a choice. I made a choice

Admittedly that choice may of been to slack off at school and ruin my life but it was my choice :rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

Are you sure we’re not related? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That’s a view for poets and dreamers!

4 Likes

I suck at poetry and I only dream about flying, so I’d rather build a helicopter. Or plane… I could live with that too.

2 Likes

frozen paradise. remind us little later as the globe warms a bit :wink:

btw good looking bird @smokinhole . its getting together nicely.

1 Like