Scale Modellers, lets talk :)

I came across this (bit different) diorama on YT. :joy:

1 Like

Seasprite is finally done: Full album

I forgot to post a couple other projects I had finished between the Tony and the Seasprite.

Tamiya (Italeria rebox) Mirage 2000C:

JMSDF Harushio (never figured out how to clean up the sides of the diorama base):

12 Likes

Oh wow they are sublime @Clutch but that Sub is EPIC even for you

3 Likes

Greg just uploaded a really interesting video on the Ki-61.

1 Like

I saw that the other day and wished it had been out when I was building mine. I hope he does one on the A6M series one day. I’ve got the new Eduard dual kit. I’ll do one in gray and one in green, and if the engine detail is there I’ll have the engine on display from one of them. Last time I tried detailing a radial was probably 2008 :joy:

2 Likes

Finished the OH-1 but not my best work. Lots of silly mistakes. First time trying open panels and can’t say I’m a fan of painting those.

11 Likes

I just see a beautifully assembled and painted helicopter with complex camouflage, dark panel lines, rivets that really pop out and lovely exhaust pipes!
Great job, can’t have been easy with opened canopy and panels

3 Likes

They’re so silly that I can’t see them!
Well done!

3 Likes

The rivets were actually the cause of many of my problems haha. They’re molded way too prominently and aren’t that visible on the real aircraft, plus they caused issues positioning decals and causing some silvering. I should have sanded them down.

1 Like

Such a coollittle chopper. They lived up to their name in wargame red dragon, being very sneaky and very deadly. In that game, a guy with a binocular and a radio is very dangerous, and these boys packed stinger missiles as well!

3 Likes

looks really good ! but how about the rotor blades? I guess there are some tricks to make them look slightly bend.

There are some rotor bend tricks, but I’ve never gotten anything to be consistent. The OH-1’s rotors, whatever they’re made of, don’t flex that much. The bend is so sublte I didn’t think it worth the trouble at 1/72 scale. Same for the aerial antenna that should stick out the tail (can’t find something thin enough and straight enough).

1 Like

Woow this is 1:72?? I thought it was a bigger scale. Very impressive!

Just had to look up a picture, very straight rotors indeed and a terribly thin antenna on the tail:

1 Like

Same here! Looks great.

1 Like

Next one on the bench. I wonder if anyone can ID this one.

5 Likes

That looks a bit like the Mitsubishi MU-2 that Chris flew a lot in X-Plane. That one didn’t have the weird extrusion on the nose though

3 Likes

Ding ding ding. This is the SAR variant used by the JASDF. A former student who’s enlisting gave it to me as a bday gift.

2 Likes

I’m not particularly good at build logs but I post all my WIP pics on Scalemates: Clutch - Scale Modeler Profile

Last night I had seepage issues with masking some orange stripes like Freak did with his F1. Happens to the best of us haha.

2 Likes

I don’t even see it :person_shrugging: Guess I am not looking carefully enough.

I read somewhere that half the skill of modelling is learning how to fix your mistakes.
Btw what is the tape in this picture for?

1 Like

Oh that’s dry fitting the parts without glue to make sure everything fits nicely. I’m painting the wings before attaching them to the fuselage, and it would be a disaster to find a gap at the wing root after painting them.

1 Like