Shopping for a new PC... and I’m kind of lost.

That is a really nice set-up Paul, a good balance across the board.

For me, I still struggle with the cost/value prop of the 2080 Ti, and don’t want to buy a 1080 Ti. I also don’t want just 8GB GPU memory, so the 2080 is less inviting. I’m also noticing that 32GB of RAM would suit me far better, as the days of 16GB seems to be hitting a wall sometimes (especially DCS is large missions and MP), but then don’t want to go buy more DDR3 that I’ll need to throw away very soon.

Do let us know how it goes, as really interested to hear how things work out for that set-up. It’ll only take a few screenshots of FPS counters on screen and it’ll push me that required inch/centimeter over the edge to pull the purchase handle. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ll let you know how it goes. I’m certainly looking forward to getting it all up and running with DCS and X-Plane.

1 Like

That’s an awesome PC!

1 Like

Dan, are you using liquid cooling on the CPU and/or GPU? How are you liking the 2080 Ti?
That case looks amazing btw.

1 Like

Yes and very happy with both. Thank you. Your 570x will shame it though.

If it looks anywhere near as good as your rig, I’ll be more than happy.

I’m now thinking that sometime next year I will have to start looking at a decent 4K monitor. The 10 year old 32 inch 1080p TV I am using now really isn’t going to do the new PC any justice.

1 Like

I just installed an extra 16gb to my pc today. I checked ram usage in dcs and it was 15+GB usage. It never got to that with just 16Gb installed

2 Likes

Seems like this might be for you - attempting to build a Gaming PC for the 1%

So, you are telling me that I need a second RTX 2080 Ti then? :wink:

7 Likes

:laughing:

This. My son just built his first gaming rig for Christmas. We unboxed everything and I was expecting an experience much like the six I built post-Y2K. I was almost angry at how easy it was.

I also have a question.
Should I get Windows 10 Home or Professional for my new PC?
Until now I always went for pro, but I wonder if it is still worth it. For example to turn off all that damn telemetry, Cortana and whatnot.
I am only used to Pro since we use that at work, so the differences are not very clear to me.

The main difference is the ability to join a domain and use a group policy. You also don’t get Hyper-V, BitLocker (handy for that laptop left on train), remote desktop and a few other corporate toys. If you don’t use those bits then Home is fine. You’re limited to 128GB of RAM vs 2TB on Pro, so DCS 2019 might be a squeeze :slight_smile: .

6 Likes

Ok, thanks!

Ignoring the current cost of RAM, I’m just wondering what kind of setup is needed to cram 2TB of memory into a system. Since that’d take about 128 sticks of 16GB modules, if my math is correct.

Just to stop 3rd party hosting datacenters from putting a database like MSSQL on Win10 Home to save some money. 64-bit DB’s often have a lot of RAM as it’s cheaper to scale up a single machine that way rather than scaling out to lots of other DBs. Win7 and XP had the same sort of restriction, basically to stop them being used as large servers on the cheap. Gotta keep Bill in the bling.

2 Likes

But… Where do you even find 512GB modules?! My mobo can only take 4 sticks!

Unless there’s some kind of PCIE expansion board that has 128 spots for sticks.

Intel racks common in datacenters (8 Xeon’s with socket P) take about 48 32GB DDR4’s. Something not that high end would be Intel Server System LSP2D2ZS580202 Product Specifications so that’s about 1.5TB RAM.

2000W and only 1.5TB total memory? And Intel onboard graphics?

Lame.

2 Likes

When is delivery @PaulRix? If you are out of town I’d be happy to hold onto it for a bit!