Show us your sim pit!

Damn Schurem. You added a sewage pipe to make it less ghetto.

Kidding. Looks great. What extension did you get, or was that DIY as well?

3 Likes

I checked out DIY but tools and materials would have set me back at least 40 euros so I bought a 10cm VirPil extension.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Awesome work dude!! that looks really cool man, with the extension on top it looks MADE for action!

top job!

1 Like

I have been considering a Warthog stick for a while now, will definitely get an extension and a sewage pipe if (when) I finally order the stick. That is some top notch efficient DIY’ing!

2 Likes

You will not be sorry, it is a great stick. Sure it might not be perfect, but its the only one with a metal handle. It has fine resolution too but that handle. It doesn’t look or feel like a toy, it’s a motherlovin’ weapon.

1 Like

My Simpit

From before the rudder pedals and the new trackball

Screen estate. 32" Panasonic TV + 2x 26" Medion on GTX 1070 and 2x 8" Eyoyo on GTX 970

Controllers

Controller platforms are adjustable side to side and forward and back.

Pedals

Driving mode

Flying mode

Happy Simming

6 Likes

Lots of cool ideas there!
Looks like two ipads there. What’s the use of those?

The removable floor for the pedals gave me an idea… I’ve been thinking about how to incorporate driving pedals in my SimBox.

Did you make the pedals yourself?

Ohh. I am blushing. Me inspiring you! Whau.

I have to thank you for all of the inspiration that you have given me. With the Simboxes the Styrspak and so forth.

It is 2x 9" Android tablets used for exported functions with DCS Virtual Cockpit.

The car pedals are Logitech G27 reverse mounted without the plastic thingie. Very easy to do. A G27 pedal reverse mount search gives some good videos.
I have also swapped the pedal springs around to give a better feel but cannot remmember which to where.
The brown on speeder and brake are fake leather as i am a barefoot simmer.

Happy Simming

1 Like

So I finally managed to grab an hour away from parenting and working to knock up a ‘prototype build’ of my sim pit

Now obviously with an hour or so to play with it isn’t the most ‘pretty’ design but it does serve a useful purpose. I’ve taken loads of measurements and made some slight adjustments and this rock solid wooden contraption will soon make way for the mk2 welded steel adjustable model. So I thought you might like to see the first baby steps into making something I’ve wanted for years (with a little help from a certain somebody from mudspike who is slightly amazing at this sort of thing)

9 Likes

Huh… haven’t I seen that chair before :wink:

2 Likes

Possibly…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Huh… haven’t I seen that chair before :wink:

Possibly…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll let you know when I get off the floor

2 Likes

So, waiting for pointCTRL I caved in and got myself a pair of Thrustmaster MFD controllers. Just too neat lol.

So how am I going to mount those… And preferably in a way that is relatively easily undone, as this simpit is smackdab in the middle of the living room.

2 Likes

The included bases are quite useful, but you’d need something to prevent sliding rearward when pressing them (or hook a second finger around the frame at the same time).

Going without the base (thumbscrews), you can remove the top bar that the two support arms clip into (couple screws on the back), making the backside flat. Then just a square of double sided tape in each corner, or perhaps Velcro.

I use Velcro for mine.

Those are solutions to a secondary problem. The primary problem is to think up a (removable!) mounting that puts them about 5cm above and behind the stick.

I can’t just plonk them on the desk. The extended stick would not work when facing the desk. That’s why I turn 90 degrees to the left to fly, put the pedestal between chair and pedals and the throttle on a kitchen step. That works like a charm (except when I bump my elbow into the desk because my pit is not as roomy as some of the planes I fly)

The MFD’s are a problem however. I can put them on the shelf behind the pedals but that puts them about 50cm too far back. Not only is it uncomfortable leaning forward that far, it also destroys their purpose: to have real buttons in the same space as the virtual ones.

I’m now thinking about some sort of cobbled together wooden support structure. But that would be a hassle to take down/set up and it would be rickety. Rickety is no good, I’m almost 100kg (that’s a good 200 pounds) and not in bad shape. When I move my body while feeling tactical, things I bump into better be sturdy lol.

So what to do? what to do…

2 Likes

Maybe something like this? Monitor arm.

Could probably find one with better articulation at the various joints. This one maybe.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I was thinking too. And then pointCTRL got back to me making for a far more elegant solution. Sending the MFDs back.

1 Like

Exactly what went through my mind.
But there are still guys with physical cockpits flying VR.

Subject of individual taste of each comrade :slight_smile:

Aw,

If you press one of those MFD buttons with the same finger pointCTRL is strapped to. Well, it opens up warmode on many of the jets with an entirely different set of functions! Also they go twice as fast.

4 Likes