Show us your sim pit!

Well i just bought some plywood. Time to make homepit number 8 or maybe 14 ?? My pits always evolve. Making pits etc… is too fun to stop just after one.

Now aker barnes mk.1 will be base but i will redraw it to be suited for my center stick and VR setup :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tuned my old pit, new is still under work.

But least i can fly now , that trackball mouse is best thing ever for VR

5 Likes

There’s some poetry to the amazing collision of old-school and new-school simming hardware here. Rock on!

2 Likes

Yes, i like my retro stuff too much to throw it away.

That suncom throttle is great, quite 1:1 copy of F-15E throttle , was bit pain to rewire to arduino :stuck_out_tongue:

Pedals are nice, ball bearing and solid metal. I may make wheel brakes to them but i really like to russian style wheelbrake lever in T-50 stick so its not number one priority.

My sim pit is done! I found big mouse pad material to cover the whole deck with. The bottom of the pad is the tan color and has a rubber grip feel. The top mouse side is the white fabric - not thrilled with the color, but it is what it is (it is made to be “sublimated” - like in a heat transfer print process). It won’t stay white for long… and I don’t know how to print on a surface that big.

This pad material is in two thicknesses - 6mm for the desktop, and 1.5mm for the upper deck and keyboard tray.

A lower crossbar was added to support the rudders - the subwoofer was not enough to hold the rudders in panic mode…

Man, we need a dog. That ^^^ popcorn has been there for two days.

This is the ‘upper deck’ with the wiring for a USB hub and mic. There is another USB hub under the table for the stick, throttle and rudders -

I figured a way to mount the mic using a plastic cable clamp -

This is the ‘keyboard tray’ with an old HP wireless kb on it. The tray is a thin piece of stock to support the kb over the deck cutout when I’m not using the joystick, it slides up under when not needed -

Lower crossbar painted, popcorn picked up, and the cat says we donna want no stenken dog…

All done.

22 Likes

Neat.

1 Like

My simpit just became a little less ghetto. I spent about 20 euros in the DIY store for a length of 110mm pipe, an end piece and a connector. I took one of the sides of the box I used previously and made that the floor plate. Screwed the end piece firmly to it. Then I glued the pipe, cut to length into it. I sawed an opening for the chord into one side of the pipe connector piece so the stick slides into that and is kept from twisting. Glued the connector piece to the pipe, et voila. About one afternoon’s work. It flies delicious.

The stick isn’t fixed, its kept in place by its shape and gravity, making the thing easily and quickly disassemblable in case of wife attack.

The pipes are sold as “sewage pipe 110mm” :smiley:

16 Likes

Damn Schurem. You added a sewage pipe to make it less ghetto.

Kidding. Looks great. What extension did you get, or was that DIY as well?

3 Likes

I checked out DIY but tools and materials would have set me back at least 40 euros so I bought a 10cm VirPil extension.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Awesome work dude!! that looks really cool man, with the extension on top it looks MADE for action!

top job!

1 Like

I have been considering a Warthog stick for a while now, will definitely get an extension and a sewage pipe if (when) I finally order the stick. That is some top notch efficient DIY’ing!

2 Likes

You will not be sorry, it is a great stick. Sure it might not be perfect, but its the only one with a metal handle. It has fine resolution too but that handle. It doesn’t look or feel like a toy, it’s a motherlovin’ weapon.

1 Like

My Simpit

From before the rudder pedals and the new trackball

Screen estate. 32" Panasonic TV + 2x 26" Medion on GTX 1070 and 2x 8" Eyoyo on GTX 970

Controllers

Controller platforms are adjustable side to side and forward and back.

Pedals

Driving mode

Flying mode

Happy Simming

6 Likes

Lots of cool ideas there!
Looks like two ipads there. What’s the use of those?

The removable floor for the pedals gave me an idea… I’ve been thinking about how to incorporate driving pedals in my SimBox.

Did you make the pedals yourself?

Ohh. I am blushing. Me inspiring you! Whau.

I have to thank you for all of the inspiration that you have given me. With the Simboxes the Styrspak and so forth.

It is 2x 9" Android tablets used for exported functions with DCS Virtual Cockpit.

The car pedals are Logitech G27 reverse mounted without the plastic thingie. Very easy to do. A G27 pedal reverse mount search gives some good videos.
I have also swapped the pedal springs around to give a better feel but cannot remmember which to where.
The brown on speeder and brake are fake leather as i am a barefoot simmer.

Happy Simming

1 Like

So I finally managed to grab an hour away from parenting and working to knock up a ‘prototype build’ of my sim pit

Now obviously with an hour or so to play with it isn’t the most ‘pretty’ design but it does serve a useful purpose. I’ve taken loads of measurements and made some slight adjustments and this rock solid wooden contraption will soon make way for the mk2 welded steel adjustable model. So I thought you might like to see the first baby steps into making something I’ve wanted for years (with a little help from a certain somebody from mudspike who is slightly amazing at this sort of thing)

9 Likes

Huh… haven’t I seen that chair before :wink:

2 Likes

Possibly…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Huh… haven’t I seen that chair before :wink:

Possibly…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll let you know when I get off the floor

2 Likes

So, waiting for pointCTRL I caved in and got myself a pair of Thrustmaster MFD controllers. Just too neat lol.

So how am I going to mount those… And preferably in a way that is relatively easily undone, as this simpit is smackdab in the middle of the living room.

2 Likes