SimBox NG

Ha!
It works! :slight_smile:

Although I got a BIOS message saying that a new CPU was installed… I just reseated the old one, cleaned it and applied new thermal grease.

Seems to be working fine though.

1 Like

Thank you. I would have questions, but I am still processing it all, so many well thought out details.

2 Likes

Off to a great start bro, looking really nice!

1 Like

I have ordered some extra beam supports and fittings, as I don’t have enough to finish the SimBox. And since I started working today, my plan is that the new parts arrive in time for my next off period, in a week. I put DHL on the case, to make sure :wink:

I started on the lid of the box, which will be wood, as I want a little bit of organic material contrasting all that aluminium. I will stain it a grayish brown, and put a semi gloss clear laquer on top.

I need to decide which joystick I shall use…

The Baur BRD-N, or the Virpil MT-50.

The BRD-N is a behemoth! The MT-50 will take up a lot less space in the box.
There is room for the BRD, but the MT-50 will be easier to install. The MT-50 has the built in brake handle, but as my DIY handle works just as well, that’s not an argument. I could even make a new mount for my handle and put it on the MT-50, should I want to use the Warthog handle.

I love them both. Great sticks!

1 Like

Why not both? Is there no way to build a base enclosure that could allow you to swap on the fly, or with somewhat minimal effort?

There’s no reason to switch sticks, unless one breaks.

They both do the job very well. One is bigger. The other one, smaller.

I guess that speaks for the smaller MT-50.
OTOH, the compact size of the MT-50 is the only thing that makes me think that the BRD-N will last longer.
The MT-50 has an incredibly strong centering force. It’s as strong as the BRD-N, but in a much smaller format. But, it’s all metal and should be able to withstand years of use and abuse…

I guess I could start out with the MT-50, and see how it goes. If I have regrets, I can always open up the construction to accept the BRD-N.

1 Like

A little progress on the lid…

DHL has picked up my order. I hope the package get here until wednesday…

1 Like

When I grow up I want to be as handy as you @Troll :grin:, sad thing is when i FINALLY grow up, they will be putting me in a pine box.

2 Likes

The trick is not to grow up! :wink:

1 Like

Looks like my package of parts is stuck in Shenzen, China, due to flood rains… I hope people over there are ok. The parts will get here when they get here.

In the meantime I do other stuff. Today I visited my local tin pusher. They’re called Tak&Metall (Roof&Metal). I love simple and straight forward names like that! Great bunch of guys too. :slight_smile:

I had them cut out a roof for my PC case. I chose a aluminium pattern called «rice». I will probably put things on there, so a no-slip surface is probably a good idea.

4 Likes

Got a message from DHL!
They have picked up my package and are expecting delivery on monday!! Well in time for my off duty week!

Yay!

1 Like

Looking at the links for the sidewalls.
Is this the way to do it, I wonder?

34%20PM

1 Like

Is this looking down the long axis? ie: pilot facing us with left and right sides that deploy?

Yes.

First stain layer on the lid.

1 Like

Two days from Hong Kong to Northern Norway!
Thanks, DHL!

We’re back in business!!

2 Likes

Radiator support bracket.

That’un ain’t goin’ nowhere!

4 Likes

Went to the garbage dump today…

Goodbye, old friend!
We sure had some good times together…

2 Likes