SpaceX

Just tuned in.
Since the village isn’t cleared yet I’d say it is at least two hours until a possible launch.

Edit: wait, it changed to “scrub” just now… :frowning:

Scrubbed.

1 Like

Yeah, not today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrLequ6dUdM

Just watched the Falcon 9 launch. Not landing here, though, at sea, so it was brief.

6 Likes

HAPPENING NOW?! @Victork2

1 Like

Wow, they did it. Small fire, but it looks ok.

3 Likes

It landed. Softly.
Burning though.

Sadly I missed most of it. Just came live a minute before landing.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting @Aginor, I would have missed it all if it wasn’t for your post notification. Caught the landing, which was epic!

4 Likes

Woop woop! They made it! That was awesome!

4 Likes

It might still blow up.
But that looked A LOT better.

4 Likes

The Saturday Night Live comedian Elon Musk seems happy - nominal is good:

Nice quick view:

4 Likes

That was awesome! Look at these guys go! Next thing we know they’ll make it do a double flip before landing, just for fun. :grin:

It definitely looks like their Kerbal way of “let’s push the big red button, see what goes wrong, then learn from that and do it again until the explosions stop happening” approach is quite a lot faster for R&D than the whole “let’s figure it out on paper for 10 years, then get it right first time” NASA approach.

Obviously testing suborbital or even earth orbit stuff is easier than longer missions - no real launch windows to worry about and you don’t have to wait for years to see if it will work. Can’t do that with Mars landings.

4 Likes

But Mars is easy compared to Earth. Thin atmosphere, that’s mostly inert too. Lower gravity. Easy peasy.

Kerbal is the right way to go. It’s more entertaining than the Big Bureaucracy as well. Boom!

I know you’re chatting in jest, but that’s the tricky thing about Mars, though - at least if my KSP memories are correct.

There’s an atmosphere, so you have to worry about reentry heat…meaning heat shields in the design…but there’s not enough atmosphere to slow down enough for soft parachute landings…so you need retrorockets for touchdown. Because of the atmosphere, takeoffs need ascent profiles rather than just getting over the hilltops in full prograde and ideally you have an aerodynamic shape at the top too…it all adds up. That thin atmosphere makes things quite complicated!

5 Likes

Although a very different landing profile, this design or a variant of this thing, is meant to be landing on the Moon in 2024 and likely way before SpaceX gets to Mars. The relighting of the raptors and their general reliability is an important step even for the Lunar variant.

3 Likes

I missed it :pensive:

Thanks to @schurem and @fearlessfrog for attempting to wake me. I’m gutted but appreciate you guys trying.

1 Like
1 Like

Why should they crash? Isn’t it possible to master the landing technology on Earth and successfully land on Moon? I think everything will be okay.