SPOILER ALERT - Game of Thrones final season

For sure there are a bunch of different ways to spin the King Slayer. He’s definitely the biggest wildcard. Should he perpetrate a betrayal, it’s hard for me seeing anyone but Ser Brienne putting him down. After all, she’s his biggest admirer and vouched for his being accepted at Winterfell.

1 Like

There are two possibilities:

One, the writers are writers and not, shockingly, military. The plan wasn’t good because it was meant to be dramatic to watch, not tactically sound. As if the words “tactically sound” and “dragons” belong in the same sentence anyway…

Two, the plan was supposed to be bad. The various parts of their army were used to working alone. Dothraki don’t have spearmen. Unsullied don’t have cavalry. Neither have artillery. That left the main characters as the planners and honestly none of their military actions have worked well. John blew the Battle of the Bastards pretty much. He won the Battle of the Wall more due to centuries’ old preparation by previous Lord Commanders, not any special insight of his own.

So expecting any brilliant insight from him at this point doesn’t make sense. He seems to rely on his being “right” to carry him through more than being good.

Cersei has made good decisions. Sacrificing Casterly Rock to take Highgarden down, getting Euron’s fleet to take out the opposing fleet in the night, and apparently neutralizing the Dornish army in the process (leader captured and killed after a coup…no leader left with revenge on their mind? No? Anyone? Ok then, I guess the Dornish bureaucrats get to shine now).

So in other words, the plan was supposed to be bad so that they would win but be hopelessly decimated in the process, as Cersei hoped would happen.

No military plan can beat the will of the writers.

2 Likes

Yup.

Well. That episode clears up why they deus ex’s rhaegal. Imagine two dragons doing that?

Also… God this season is bad. You can totally tell they crammed the ending into 6 episodes in my opinion. Majorly disappointing. Oh well.

I don’t think this episode was particularly good even. Just a dragon flying around melting everything. Filler for the rest really. Oh well.

1 Like

Yeah. Each episode after the night king death has been worse than the last. Everything was ‘too fast’ in all of the episodes before tonight but all I could ask myself tonight was why they chose this route. I read a great article on the BBC about the writing and, yeah, they started at the end and wrote their way backward in time to where they were. It shows and it is pretty messy. It is so obvious where they needed to go (the end), they had n episodes to do it in and it really shows.

I think that everyone who harps on writers when it takes them too long to finish a series should take a serious look a this and understand why writing takes as long as it does. GRRM is having a hard time getting the characters and story to go where he wants and he has had years of struggle since the last book working this out. Give someone an unrealistic deadline and, yeah, this is what you get.

I really enjoyed the spectacle and Clegane bowl was cool.

We need a DCS dragon mod…

1 Like

For some reason I really want a Starbucks …strange…:grin:

1 Like

My snarky comment during the show was, “She finally learned how to fly that thing!”

Sure, it was a rushed Hollywood mess, like the Kings Landing troops suddenly forgetting how to fight and Jaime surviving a couple of kidney-ectomies. But I really enjoyed it last night overall. Many redeeming moments.

Jon Snow is a more resolute man than I.

That dragon carries a lot of juice!

1 Like

I’m with you here. Nearly word by word.

1 Like

I think it’s really a bad sign when I’ve reached the point where the last episode is next week and I don’t even care how it’s going to end anymore.

It happened just after the Long Night episode… I don’t think it’s a coincidence.

1 Like

This is going to toilet fast.

Really sad that they lost ball so easily.

This season is fail, after fail. :(:no_mouth:

When I was in high school the term was “senioritis.” You’ve been accepted to college, your grades are pretty much set, so skipping classes, slacking off homework, etc is the rule of the day.

David and Dan are starting work on the next Star Wars film(s). After 10 years they wanted to move on and get this done with as fast as they could. George didn’t want them to stop with only 73 eps. HBO didn’t. The cast wasn’t particularly tired of it. The ONLY ones who decided how much time was left was them, and obviously there was still enough story for a good 80 if not more.
But they rushed, cramming things in. In past seasons, it would take a character the entire 10 ep run to go from Winterfell to King’s Landing, now it happens between the end of one ep and the start of the next.

Good article on IGN that echoes how I feel about the episode (and season):

I think even Doctor Strange cannot see a happy ending for the final episode.

Will we see Tyrion find his inner king slayer?

My prediction goes to:
Jon on the Iron Throne and Daenerys either “politically” or personally defeated and leaving for Essos.
A new some-sort-of Political/Mexican Stand off will begin between the two.

Surprise! Daenerys is now bearing Jon Snow son in her.

Also I can foresee a new “greater enemy” being created.
A new Night King? Something different?
Can’t tell, but we will be left with the feeling that the history will repeat.

2 Likes

Don’t forget that Bronn is still lurking about with his crossbow somewhere. I think that he was in a German guest house last week.

3 Likes

Interesting…

" More recently someone recalled that in 2017, a Game of Thrones parody episode in the Simpsons predicted Daenerys Targaryen’s laying waste to King’s Landing with her remaining “child,” Drogon."

5 Likes

That GOT to be fake.
(Get it? GOT… to be fake? Game Of Thrones?)

3 Likes

9 Likes