Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (with Spoilers)

I would give a testicle, either one, for a LucasArts - caliber game that lets you take part in the Battle of Jakku and after.

But of course we’ll probably never see that.

Thanks, Disney

1 Like

To be fair to Disney:
Good Star Wars games being produced stopped happening way before Disney bought Lucas Arts.

1 Like

And yet still a couple of promising titles in development were canned by Disney.

I guess some things are not meant to be.

Sometimes I do wonder… was it just the wrong time?
Where did Lucasart go wrong?

They lost a lot of ground when the prequels came out. I strongly suspect the push to do something, anything, with prequel content may have stifled a lot of creative ideas. It also followed the general trend of the time, in that the late 90s-early 00s there was a huge shift from publishers developing to developers creating for publishers.

Unfortunately, with EA at the helm, you can forget about any good ideas coming from the IP now.

2 Likes

Such a tragedy, yes. The Raven Software titles were really innovative games regarding the saber mechanics…

1 Like

Raven software did some cool stuff with that quake engine. I also liked their Star Trek games a lot.

I shudder thinking about what they would do to something like X-Wing or Tie Fighter

Well, software house Double damage did a mock up Star Wars shooter for EA to consider but it reeks, sorry, looks like an Ace Combat clone in space.

If the space combat was somewhat akin to the old X-Wing games (perhaps mix in some elements that Wing Commander oder Freespace did a bit better) I’d be one happy camper…

Man I actually liked flying all those ships in X-Wing Alliance, even the freighters were fun.

1 Like

Eeeeh, not quite.
More like Shadow of the Empire for N64 (at least- I had it for N64)

I had it for PC and it was fun, but… being used to the aforementioned games it was weird to be on rails…
A well done on rails shooter can be fun, for example I actually liked the space fights in the Star Wars The Old Republic MMO because they were kinda cinematic, but still… meh. Maybe as part of a bigger game but not standalone, except if it is cheap.

Shadow of the Empire for me was the first truly 3D game I played in a console.
I loved it and completed it at 100% or really close to…

That said, I still hope someone will make a proper X-Wing/Tie Fighter/Alliance sequel…

1 Like

Best scene in the movie. Interesting discussion on The Internets about it. Many feel that that scene should have belonged to Admiral Akbar and (according to the rumors…who knows) there was some discussion about it, but the political sensitivity of having someone named “Akbar” commit an act like that…well, you can figure that out. Damn shame though…because it would have been a more fitting and glorious end for that character…

2 Likes

I call shenanigans. The movie was a determined deconstruction of legend with a extra helping of subversion of expectation. The OT built up the rebellion as heroes. This movie’s point was neat, well heroes make mistakes, heroes are not perfect, and above all, heroes die, often in stupid and unglorious ways.

It was fitting of the movies tone that Akbar, hero of the rebellion, Victor at Endor, gets destroyed by a pair of TIEs because he didn’t close the hangar door and no one on Mon Calamari thought to install some CIWS.

2 Likes

Well, it looks like it was nothing more sinister than just the plan was to do it that way all along:

“That’s how it was designed,” he concluded. “That’s how it was intended. But it is slightly incidental, isn’t it?”

1 Like

I’m still wondering how this was a thing, when we know FOR A FACT that cruiser had shields.

I really hate this movie.

1 Like

How was the MoCal cruiser in Rogue One clearly taking hull hits from TIEs when “the deflector shields were down to 50%”? Movie physics are subservient to the needs of the plot, infinitely more so in Space Fantasy.

The physics in Star Wars don’t make sense, they never did.
I love Star Wars but just don’t think about it too hard, it ruins every single movie.

1 Like

Go back and watch again. Profundity was taking hits, yes, but you didn’t see hull damage. Not until Devastator showed up and focused fire on the cruiser.