Steam Sale 2016 - June 23 - July 4?

There’s a bunch of things to try here if you hadn’t found it already:

Already found that thread (thanks anyway :slight_smile: ). Not sure if that is my error though, they say they have an error message (41) which isn’t the case for me.
Updating drivers now and so on (reluctantly, because I usually don’t change anything when the games I play run fine)
EDIT: Reminder to self: 364.51 was working fine for my games. I’ll switch back when something goes wrong. :smiley: )

EDIT: No joy. Doing a repair again, watching football in the meantime :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you try forcing a workable resolution in this bit?

C:/Users/*username*/My Documents/My Games/DiRT Rally/ hardwaresettings/
you then want to right click on hardware_settings_config.xml and open it with notepad.

So I spent a bit if time with simple planes today. It’s pretty fun.

I wouldn’t compare it to ksp except in the sense that you are building craft.

I haven’t done anything other than the flight school stuff (build plane with guidance, landing, solo flight (circuit), ground school and weapon info).

Then I went into the first “mission” which is a race. The tutorial plane you built is not fast enough. So you have to build a new one. Some other pre-built planes (jets and stuff) you can try though. The p-51 isn’t fast enough either.

I managed to cobble together a weird looking bird that was too slow but easily agile enough. My attempts to speed it up resulted in not having agility… too little pitch authority meant I couldn’t climb fast enough or turn fast enough. I have yet to succeed!

There are some really nice looking models for download on the site, but I. Have no idea how people made those… I’m assuming there’s mods or workshop parts or something because I don’t see those shapes in the default list. I could be missing something though. Thinking ill need to watch some building tutorials on YouTube.

It’s not as complex as ksp to be sure. There seem to be some combat missions where the AI fires back (ground and air units). I need to learn to build better craft before trying those, but Im looking forward to it. It’s a fun little game for $9.

1 Like

I wanted to, but the whole file doesn’t exist, because the game creates it during the first startup (which didn’t happen)

Spent a couple more hours with SimplePlanes tonight. What a fun little game to tinker around in. Took me a lot of trial and error to get a single prop design that could compete in the races and win. It has horrendous takeoff stability, but once you’re going 400mph it’s great. There’s two courses where you need to fly at about 80% power to make the turns reasonably, though one of them I only miss 1 checkpoint going at full power. Landing it is a breeze.

Not really a sim, but it’s good fun.

well glad to hear people enjoying it, I went ahead and picked it up earlier today, haven’t got to it yet though. I was in the buying mood. Luckily I don’t have a whole lot I’m looking for right now, so might make it out of the steam sale relatively ok.

I had a similar issue with another game. I could only start when disconnecting all game controllers.

You might give it a try.

Dirt Rally is working fine on my rig though…

Thanks for the hint.

Didn’t work though. Here is what I tried until now, all based on suggestions from the Internet:

• Disconnecting all USB devices (including my two USB touchscreens) except my keyboard (disabled keyboard software as well)
  • replacing my gamer mouse with a simple one
  • disabled my Logitech controller software
  • disabled Firewall and Antivirus
  • closed all running programs that weren’t necessary
  • restarted Steam several times
  • rebooted several times
  • validity check of game files (several times)
  • deleted the drt.exe and let Steam restore it
  • checked that there is more than 50 GB free on every drive
  • checked Internet connection
  • Installed new graphics card driver
  • cursed uncontrollably
  • started the exe directly
  • started the exe with Admin rights
  • started the exe with compatibility modes (several of them)
  • disabled Steam Cloud
  • disabled Steam overlay
  • changed language to English (in case it was a problem with i18n)

EDIT: Ok, by now I am basically acting like Angry German Video Game Kid, so I’ll stop here for a while and play Rise of the Tomb Raider, which happens to be a GREAT game.
Meanwhile I’ll copy the Dirt Rally files over to my gaming notebook and try it there.

Runs on the notebook fine on max settings.
Playing with the Steam Controller.
I need a wheel. And improve my skills. Because I suck :grin:
Can anyone recommend an easy track to practice?

Germany :smiling_imp:

Don’t forget to play with manual transmission.

The nice part about having a birthday this time of year is that it coincides with the steam sale.

I’ve gotten Battlezone 98 Redux, House of the Dying Sun, and Stardew Valley.

I’d do a write up and video on HotDS, but the latter of those mentioned is literal crack and I can’t stop playing it.

I just bought two more:

and

I am also thinking about buying Bioshock and Alan Wake since I somehow never played them…

downloading thát mod again :slight_smile:

BTW simpleplanes is funny. Instead of dabbling with the races I immediatly designed something that resembled a StuKa and did some combat. Was a lot of fun. I couldn’t deal with one threat so I decided to slap some jet engines onto it so I had something that resembled a crossbreed between a StuKa and a Gloster Meteor. Very funny. To end up my session I designed something that had to resemble a Mirage 2000, it was surprisingly controllable although a little intense on the trim wich is not something unexpected for a real world FBW design. I saw someone compare it with KSP and while KSP might be the better overal game there are some things that simpleplanes does a lót better, naturally these are related to… planes.

• Wing shape influence on the flight model.

In KSP your wing design hardly seems to matter as long as you’ve up some thought into placing your CoL in correlation to your CoM. A straight wing design like an A-10 has no different stall characteristics when compared to a design that looks like a Delta Dagger as long as the wing surface area is similair in size. In Simple planes my Mirage stalls before my Stuka does. But my Mirage has an easier time reaching high speeds than my stuka-meteor does and has better characteristics at high speeds. While it is possible to try to create nice wing designs in KSP using the LEGO click-on parts, you’ll have a much easier time recreating your favorite aircraft with the wing designer in SimplePlanes.

• airfoil shape actually matters.

In KSP any wing always provides lift. Even your tail horizontal stabilizer. In Simpleplanes you’ll be able to set the airfoil design as well. So the vertical stabilizer has a symmetrical shape and does not actually provide any lift in nominal conditions. What’s worse in KSP is that wings always have an upwards force vector attached to them. You can see this by going into the debugging menu, and allowing visualisations of the forces at hand. Fly your plane upside down and your plane will fly just fine with the force of lift canceling out the force of gravity. In SimplePlanes this won’t work and your plane handles realisticly.

• control surfaces

in KSP you have some slap-on control surfaces wich are hard to make look right. In Simpleplanes you can cut out the control surfaces in the wings and control their size. You can get close to, but not actually create Stabilators like seen on aircraft like the F-15, F-16, MiG-29 and pretty much any other supersonic jet. I was not able to create elevons for my Mirage but splitting each side into two surfaces, one for roll and the other for pitch did the job just right :slight_smile:

My verdict is that it’s a funny and intriguing game for €8, but currently there’s not overly much to do. Just a handful of missions to do with your design and endlessly playing the dogfight mode.

OK guys- hold your horse and get THIS!

Get the demo and don’t dare to speak! GET IT!

4 Likes

The review that sold it for me: “Weyland Yutani Employee Simulator 2115. 10/10”

3 Likes

Can’t figure out how to add the snapshot thing on my phone…

Anyone familiar with Order of Battle: WWII?

It’s f2p with pay dlc x2 at the moment and a third upcoming. It looks interesting. Multiplayer too.

1 Like

Just paste the link to the Steam store page. If it’s a site that the forum software recognizes it makes it into a ‘onebox’. So this typed in your message (on it’s own line):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/312450/

turns into this:

Ya… must have been copying only part of the link. Thanks.

Any thoughts on the game?