StormBirds FlightSim News-Community Q&A: Catching up with Jason Williams

Interesting Q&A with Jason Williams published today.

Community Q&A: Catching up with Jason Williams – Stormbirds

3 Likes

Thanks for that.

I never really played IL2 very much (it would have to be at least 12 years since last time) or know much about the Company that made it, or Jason Williams.

However, reading between the lines I can’t help but admire someone who will choose principles over a paycheque.

2 Likes

IL-2 Great Battles is an excellent WW2 simulation. Doesn’t have clickable cockpits but there are complex engine management features in the simulation, along with superb flight models and weapon ballistics. So many different maps to fly on and so many aircraft to control.

2 Likes

Hmmm! Just looked and the last time I played IL-2 (1946) was 2012 :astonished:

I am seriously tempted, but just to get the WWI content (Flying Circus - Vol1).

Not being lazy, I have had a look on the interwebs, but would value opinions from here more than anywhere else. How is it, especially for single player? Or am I better off picking up Rise of Flight?

2 Likes

Il2 great battles is damn good, it’s come along way since 1946 …:grinning:(also knowing your background) did you know there is a bloody good tank sim now built into it … which you can do almost full combined arms (only infantry missing)

The fliying circus is far better than rise of flight (imho) and works flawlessly in vr with great fps … but for me it’s the tanks …nothing is better than sitting in the turret of a tiger in vr :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Steam sale …… just saying ……(just living up to my bad influencer status) :smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

6 Likes

earned

Just. Only because of the 70% discount… Maybe :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Here’s an example of a guy playing with the campaign system in IL-2GB. He does a nice job with story telling and does some nice visuals. Kind of gives you a feeling of how single player plays out.

2 Likes

An older video but nice cinematography in how IL-2 GB Flying Circus looks and feels.

https://youtu.be/rP-D27AxB2M

3 Likes

Bought stalingrad. Played it twice. Need to give it an actual proper thrashing at some point.

3 Likes

and on the ground :grin:

2 Likes

Nice interview. I’m not so sure that I know more now than I did in October. Jason is a big fan of the genre who figured out a way to carve out a little living supporting his hobby. He also gave focus to both RoF and IL2. A good 12 years of my sim life was dominated by titles he commanded.

5 Likes

@Victork2 , @Harry_Bumcrack, @schurem and anyone else …how about on the next fightnight we go and invade a server :smile:

3 Likes

Damn was gonna put a hilarious comment about old men playing fortnight but you edited :joy:

2 Likes

sorry :laughing:

2 Likes

I like idea of combined ops

2 Likes

By that, i mean i think sitting in a tank with @tempusmurphy while @schurem covers our mistakes, sounds amazing.

We still need to multicrew on steel beasts as well, although that isnt getting much use since ghpc came out

3 Likes

Jason’s a pro keeping his cards close to his vest. Probably wants to imply conflict without actually burning bridges. A good practice in a small business community.

Please count me in on this. I seem to be missing fight nights. Are they a certain Sat each month?

3 Likes

Sure, I am keen to have a go.

1 Like

When is this meet up with IL-2 Great Battles? I would be interested as well.

1 Like

OMG this thing is amazing in VR.

I have managed to sneak away to get a few minutes to channel my inner Biggles and treat my kite like you treat your woman… And I don’t mean take her home at weekends to meet your Mother. Woof!

6 Likes