Tactical Combat Flying For Two - Part 1: The Tactics

A new Mudspike article published at: http://www.mudspike.com/tactical-combat-flying-for-two-part-1/

Guest writer Fridge shares some thoughts on flying tactical combat missions in a three-part article series: Tactical Combat Flying For Two. Tactical Combat Flying For Two – Part 1: The Tactics After the Mudspike DCS World 2015 Fall Fly-In, a few of us were on TeamSpeak talking about the challenges of finding and flying in…

7 Likes

Very nice!

The visual cues stuff is fascinating, although I have a hard time memorizing those ‘make the fin look like this’. I guess that’s why they get paid. :slight_smile:

Plus, the real-life formations are certainly more spread out than I had assumed, although I guess that makes sense to avoid collisions and where visual acuity is better.

Nice article! I’m looking forward to reading the subsequent chapters.
I really like the look of TacView. It looks like a great tool for debriefing missions. For those who use it, which version do you have? The Pro version looks great but a little pricey.

I have the pro version but any version is good. The online debriefing tool is neat but I have not used it much. There will be a couple of videos featuring TacView in the next chapter.

Really nice article…with excellent graphics to demonstrate. I sure could use more practice with this kind of stuff…I’m pretty loosey goosey out there on people’s wings…

Excellent article. Looking forward to the other chapters.

Formations ought to be as close as possible, preferably in such a manner that you can visually inspect the rivets.

1 Like

The visual cues become second nature pretty quick, its more about establishing a picture in your mind, When he is that big he’s the correct distance away, and every formation is a plus/minus situation IE tac line abreast is 1-3 miles, thats a pretty big window to float around in.

and yes, when you are tactically maneuvering, the last thing you want is to be very close to somebody else, cause then you have to watch out for them, instead of the bandit.

Another way to think of the Tac line abreast and why it is the cornerstone of tactical flying (air-air wise) is think about if a bandit jumps one of the two jets (visually), if you are flying closer than a mile or so apart, the bandit is essentially attacking both jets at once, and they both have to respond to the attack.

If they are a mile or two apart, the bandit has to pick one of them, the one he picks defends, the other just does a break turn and oh look! Then bandit is right in front of his guns/missiles, and will shortly be dead.

Near Blind and I demonstrated this very well a while back ( over a year ago) on a Heater only 104th day, we went in and I think came away with something like 8-1+ kill-loss ratio in F-15’s versus flankers in visual arena fighting. Didn’t matter where the Flanker attacked from, or how he attacked, as long as we were spread out, he had to pick one of us, which opened him up to the other. Most died within 180 degrees of turn.

4 Likes

I honestly use the free version.