TAW 2.0

So on a whim this morning I tried getting the updated Total Air War 2.0 mod working and ran into a loop of problems that I can’t figure out. The install process seems to go fine until I get a crash of the installer…but things seem to proceed normally. Perhaps I could get things working if I could get the Application Compatibility Toolkit to work…but I don’t understand how to launch that despite having read the manual addendum. I’m feeling a bit clumsy…and it reminds me of the old days of PC sims where I spent more time configuring than playing… :rofl:

When I attempt to run the Program Compatibility Assistant I get this message:

TAW-005

I’m kind of stuck. Any ideas?

OK…trying out a newer version of Windows ADK:

And that allows me to open Compatibility Administrator…let’s see what that gives me…

1 Like

Nuts. Still getting the same DirectInput error on launch… I’m gonna have to give up. Burned two hours on this this morning for something that tugs at me out of nostalgia more than anything…

3 Likes

Try to get in touch with @damson
I am pretty sure he can help you.

1 Like

Solved…! You have to have a joystick or controller plugged in!

7 Likes

11 Likes

Modern Family Abc GIF by HULU

5 Likes

Using a flight sim with keyboard and mouse, yes you can, but its offending the Aircraft Gods

7 Likes

Great! Enjoy it. Recommend reading notes from one guy.

Campaign - War Won! How to play and win in campaign. - F22: ADF / TAW - COMBATSIM Forum

1 Like

I had also that problem but after un-plug HOTAS Warthog and plug-in old USB Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 (joystick) everything was ok. If I remember well the problem occurred when HOTAS and the joystick were connected both.

1 Like

You know what’s hard to believe? I haven’t had my HOTAS plugged in since I moved into my new house back in November.

1 Like

Some early WIndows flight sims might have trouble with controllers having more than 32 buttons. IIRC Joint Strike Fighter and Enemy Engaged AH and CH (vanilla versions) had this issue. Even if your stick doesn’t have that many buttons it still can have “virtual” buttons. In my case I had this issue with VKB Gladiator NXT, to resolve it I had to limit the number of buttons to 32 in the stick config software.

With your hotas unplugged, now you understand why you only kill 10 aircraft per mission instead of 50 as before when you was using your hotas. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes