The Mandalorian TV show [spoilers]

YES! THAT!

1 Like

The women and children too? :wink:

I was sort of surprised he disintegrated so many of them to be honest. It felt a bit dark and gritty before that, but that sort of cemented they weren’t just doing a live action remake of the Star Wars Rebels cartoon. Cool.

2 Likes

I wonder what a female Jawa looks like and a baby one…hmmm :thinking:

2 Likes

My wife and I just watched the first two episodes.
We like it so far. The German voices are good, too.

2 Likes

You can’t appreciate the show fully unless you listen to it in the original Jawan.

4 Likes
3 Likes

For… certain reasons… I can only watch Mandalorian episodes every two weeks or so, so I won’t be reading here much except on nights like this when I have just caught up.

I like the show so far. Not like “WOW this is the best I’ve ever seen!” But good. Both my wife and I are entertained.
I like all the little nods to the canon movies (loads of them) and series (Like the Loth-cat from Rebels) and some of the (IMO rare, I never was a big fan) good pieces of the old EU that they salvaged and included. (Like the Blurghs! I was surprised to see those, IIRC they originally appeared in one of those frighteningly bad Ewok movies George Lucas made. Not sure… maybe they were in The Clone Wars too).
And the western movie atmosphere.
And that they actually manage to convey emotions for the main character despite not showing his face. That’s hard.
…yeah, and Baby Yoda. I admit it. :wink:

My dislikes so far (mild, as almost always. I am neither a fanboy nor a hater concerning most things in life):

• the helmet thing. I hope they explain at some point why these Mandalorians for some reason act so differently than the others we know.
  • IMO they overdid the “AT-STs are SUPER dangerous” act. Seriously. The Ewoks piled up some logs and that was it. Chewie swung on top and captured one. That kind of thing.
  • the scene when he climbed the sand crawler. IMO the scene was a bit… clumsy. Both in what Mando did and what the Jawas did.
  • how the hell do these bounty tracker thingies work? Either they work magically well, then it is absurd why he would think he could just hide on some not so remote planet, OR they have their limitations and he…somehow forgot to take those into account? That’s a bit weird.

But yeah, looking forward to the next one. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The bounty hunter shootout scene reminded me of a scene in Police Squad where Lesslie Nielsen and a bad guy are shooting at each other from behind the same trash can.

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/bFHRvkfugkw

:laughing:

7 Likes

:joy::joy:

1 Like

Episode 7. That ending. :worried:

I have spoken… (for the last time)

5 Likes

I’ll be honest. It did break my heart.
If only IG-11 had been standing perimeter defense it could have interfered with the imperial scouts.

3 Likes

Ep 8! Season finale. The J word was finally mentioned. And IG taking one for the team. Season 2 can’t start soon enough!

3 Likes

JFC, I loved it but at the same time there were a couple of “and the plot goes like this and this. Done!”.

The Scouts hitting the baby yoda truly sent me in Berserker mode.
I thoroughly enjoyed IG 11 mauling them.

As @Chaz said, can’t come soon enough…

3 Likes

Finally watched episodes 7 and 8. Absolutely the best of the series! IG11 was an absolute bad ass.

My only wish is that they would have kept the Mandalorian’s helmet on for a few more seasons.

4 Likes

We just finished the whole series and loved every bit of it. It was like an extended trip down the Star Wars memory lane. So many references and appearances of old, nostalgic themes and similar characters. I swear I thought the cantina and even the same booth where Solo shot Guido was used…or was I just imagining that? The dude they were hiring even carried a Solo-like blaster.

Anyway…it was all great. The music and scenes. The AT-ST coming out of the woods…the banter of the speeder troopers. I have spoken. This is the way. So many great lines ready to be repurposed for cringy Dad’s like me…

5 Likes

Finished the season a few days ago, and watched the first four episodes again on a big TV (at a friend’s place, my TV is broken right now).

There are LOADS of Easter eggs / references in there. I am sure I did not notice every single one, but I am a huge nerd so I spotted dozens instantly. I’ll talk about a few of them in a moment.

And one little thing for us simmers:
Have y’all seen the joysticks in Mando’s ship?
TM T.16000 ! :smiley:

4 Likes

Ok, Easter Eggs / references / fun facts

Some of the usual sites on the net have spotted most of them. But here are some I found interesting/funny:

• Life day mentioned (references the Holiday Special)
  • toilet (first seen in Star Wars IIRC)
  • Mando’s rifle (from the Holiday Special)
  • surprise scene (when he is surprised by the Blurghs) is just like Luke’s Tusken Raider surprise
  • Blurghs (from the Ewok movie!)
  • IG droid’s head is a part of a jet engine
  • Kowakian Monkey Lizard (those are eaten! Despite being somewhat intelligent. Really dark)
  • Lothel Cat (from Rebels)
  • Gina Carano was a UFC fighter. Love that character and she is a good choice because she looks like a fighter. A strong woman and not like some starved top model. IMO she is hot, but I’d be careful and definitely not mess with her.
  • Ben Burr, Amy Sedaris are pretty fun characters (and her droids are from ep1)
  • actors in general are quite nice. Some familiar faces.
  • Mos Eisley cantina, droid is like the one on Jabba’s sail ship.
  • beggar’s canyon is mentioned. The pod race went through there and Luke mentioned it in Ep4
  • droids and races in general. A LOT of known ones from all movies, from the OT, PT, and ST as well as Solo (the captured blue four armed creature)
  • ships and Baby Yoda are models/puppets, not pure CGI. Interesting!
  • door droid is like the one Jabba has.
  • Camtono (white container with Beskar) can be seen in Ep5. Fans have wondered what that is for years!
  • one scene has a steel pipe like the one used in the trash compactor scene. I had to laugh.
  • loads of other well known props, like the grey crate (Jedi Knight players recognize it instantly)
  • darksaber! (Seen in Rebels).
  • reference to the high ground (Ming-Na Wen’s character has it)
  • the fighter that the criminals try to launch (beforebthe X-Wings show up) is a MagnaGuard fighter from Ep2
  • the fighter pilots in that scene are all writers/producers/directors for Lucasfilm.
  • the Republican soldier killed on the prison ship is Matt Lanter, who was a voice actor for The Clone Wars (Anakin)

And I could go on and on. But that’s what YT is for. There is a video of some guys who spotted over 60 references.

TL;DR:
While the show has its weaknesses it is absolutely clear that the people who made it are massive star wars nerds themselves.

4 Likes

On the other end of the spectrum, we just cancelled Disney! At first Mando was fun for my daughter and me as we tore it apart a la Mystery Science Theater 3000. But that eventually got boring. What I will miss is the artwork at the end.

I really enjoyed those concept art paintings as well.

And yeah, the show sure has its weaknesses (like some major inconsistencies with other Star Wars stuff and a rather weak storyline).
And of course the aesthetics and the western like way the story is told sure isn’t for everyone.

1 Like