The Mandalorian TV show [spoilers]

I mean, I’m kinda tempted to go 4-1-2-3-5-6, because Anakin.

But I also think he’d LOVE Rebels, and is definitely still too young for Clone Wars.

I am a purist in that regard.
Movie series should be watched in their order of publication. Just like book series should be read in that order.

And I do think that the new movies are good enough that one should have seen them.

Rebels is pretty cool, the problem is that if you don’t know the main series movies you miss so much stuff.

2 Likes

I absolutely agree with you, but for this exceptional circumstance. Kids need the whizz bang of the new stuff to keep their attention
My boy zoned out completely during the Trench Run on the first death star. I after 30 years am still on the edge of my seat for it. But during the pod race in Ep 1 he was cheering and shouting the whole way through. A boy, slightly older than him driving a rocket sled, against aliens while being shot at and crashed into. It blew his mind. So did the (admittedly, awful) part with Anakin stealing the Naboo starfighter (did we see that one again recently or is it just another one)

The airfix models of the original films, while absolutely amazing, are of their time aren’t they. I still think they look more realistic than CGI, but they just don’t work for kids attention spans, especially 5 Yr old boys. They work wonderfully for 36 Yr old lorry drivers who still weeps when Death star 2 explodes though

5 Likes

that could be the factor for me, never watched the orig trilogy. did watch one (or two?) of the newer movies but wasnt particularly hooked.

maybe will give it another chance.

1 Like

Its hard to explain how the movies make me feel, even now as an adult. There is a whole lot of emotion and time invested in them that a new watcher probably wouldn’t be replicating.
It’s a long winding story from beginning to end that I’ve loved since day 1. But I absolutely understand that they are not the be all and end all greatest movies ever made, I mean they are for me, but I’m not blind to the faults and the silliness of them.

I have a similar issue with the Mad Max films and trying to explain how much they mean to me as well. My wife just doesn’t get it, which is cool. But to me they are so important just like Star Wars.

I was so so worried when Disney took star wars. I thought it would be the end for me. I’d hate it. But I don’t. Mandalorian, Boba fett, and Episode 9 have just been utterly wonderful so far. It’s not often I feel like we get something as wonderfully fresh that doesn’t crap all over the nostalgia. It happened with Tom Hardy in Mad max and its happening over and over again with SW. I feel genuinely lucky and actually quite emotional about it all.

4 Likes

ARE WE TWINS SEPARATED AT BIRTH?!?!

2 Likes

Yes. Mandalorian has channeled classic westerns all along IMO (our lone hero rides into town, solves a local problem and receives assistance).

The most recent Boba Fett episodes have been incredible.

The sound effects of the Naboo starfighter have me twitching as a car guy, plane guy, and Star Wars nerd.

1 Like

Part of me also thinks the Zahn Trilogy should be required reading before watching the series as well.

1 Like

Also, I liked the prequel trilogy; Episode 1 was the introduction to Star Wars for my youngest siblings (they were 7 and 3 when it came out), and there’s a lot of good undererlying story and intrigue going on, which is something in my opinion the sequel trilogy lacks in a big way (but I’ve already made my feelings about those films known in other threads).

Re-watching the prequel trilogy, especially now that The Clone Wars has wrapped, is a totally different experience- so much deeper and more tragic.

I guess I’ll see what I can sneak past Dr. Mrs. Girlfriend if the boy is home sick from school today or tomorrow.

2 Likes

Same here, 2nd and 3rd are fantastic. 1st is good fun

1 Like

Exactly the other way round for me. 3 is meh, 2 is outright annoying for the most part, but I can stand 1 just fine.

Edit: as a whole I like them though. They are Star Wars.

2 Likes

Thats interesting. I thought 3 was the best of the prequels. Plus that fight at the end was the first “proper” lightsaber battle since the originals and it was bloody epic.
Funny how we all see things in different ways isn’t it!

star wars episode 3 GIF

2 Likes

Yeah it is really interesting, we both like Star Wars a lot, just different parts of it.

That exact scene the gif shows alone ruins the fight for me. All that useless twirling they do all the time.

I even prefer the sequel trilogy fights.

The Maul vs 2xJedi fight in Ep1 is one of my favourites though.

4 Likes

I LOVE that bit lol :laughing: the noise it makes is epic

2 Likes

That fight was epic. The music really worked there as well.

3 Likes

… And this is happening…

8 Likes

WARNING: SPOILERS

The season finale of The Book of Boba Fett… or was it Mando :wink: … was certainly entertaining. Cad Bane’s arrival at the end of episode 6 was :fire: :fire:, but it’s too bad he was killed off so soon in ep 7. Would’ve been great to see more of him in the next season. His character was great in the Clone Wars.

ICYMI, the Obi-Wan Kenobi series starts on May 25. There is certainly no shortage of Star Wars series in the coming years! Andor, Ashoka, Lando, Rogue Squadron (December 2023)

I don’t know that I’m fully convinced of that. There was that electronic sound like a life support system or something at the end there, so maybe we’ll see?

Having said that, I really want a pet Rancor now- would make my commute to work much more entertaining.

True. We all thought Boba Fett was dead. Anyone can be brought back to life in the Star Wars universe.

1 Like

Isn’t a ford f-150 not pretty much that? For a city dweller I mean, it’s just an expression of rancor towards environmentalists :wink:

1 Like