The Mighty Eighth | MicroProse

I never played B-17 II. I played so much of the first B-17 that the loss of MP and the fighter element just annoyed me so much I never bothered.

I did play many hours (time compressed!) in B-17 for several years though. The crew mgmt screen you would switch to and try to revive your downed tail gunner in the middle of an attack while also trying to line the sight up on the target…

1 Like

Maybe this?

3 Likes

Same here. I bought B-17 II, but it was so plagued by poor performance that I dropped out after a mission or two.
Played the :poop: out of he first one, on my Amiga, though…

1 Like

Memphis belle was my B17 game. Campaign was great, persistent crew and what not.

I flew many hours over a couple years playing the second game. It was so cool, the scale and the battle damage and crew management aspect. Bringing back a wounded bomber was probably the neatest challenge out of all my flight sims at the time.

Then the fighters were pretty well modeled too, I thought. It was a lot of fun. I hope they hit the mark on this one, it has the potential to be incredible.

2 Likes

Yes!!! That was it! I had to watch it as a kid, Kevin Costner and Kiefer Sutherland, wow.

2 Likes

It might be wise for Microprose to look for their own niche instead of copying BoX or DCS.

Could be a mix (gameplay wise) of:

• Star Trek: Bridge Crew (VR)
  • Bomber Crew (that indie game)
  • Iron Wolf

I’ve played neither of these games but I’d imagine it would work.

Strong focus on crew interaction with a basic sim-cade flight model and physics.

4 Likes

Screenies from the Microprose Website

B-17 Flight Deck

Screenshots

B-17 Dorsal Turret

Screenshots

B-17 Tail Gunner Compartment

Screenshots

B-17 Rear Fuselage (Waist) Compartment

Screenshots

B-17 Forward (Nose) Section

Screenshots

B-17 Ball Gunner Compartment

Screenshots

B-17 External View

Screenshots

6 Likes

Other batch of screenies for the B-17

Bomb Bay Compartment

Screenshots

Radio Compartment

Screenshots

There’s also a great website that does a section breakdown of the plane.

8 Likes

Air Combat Sim podcast with Sergio Costa regarding Microprose and the Mighty Eighth

4 Likes

https://us19.campaign-archive.com/?u=36f144f6a13c508dbdbdbaa87&id=8c9c157617&e=44460ecd69

(just showed up in my email!) (Sorry not sure why the image isn’t showing, it’s a newsletter update about the mighty 8th. Editing this in cause just posting the link and ‘look what came in my email!’ sounds a little sketchy :slight_smile: )

6 Likes

Cool! I wondered when we’d see that engine in a flightsim…

There was some super cool news about the upcoming game(s) in the latest PC Pilot (where those pictures are from).

Also a nice article/interview with “Damson” about retro flight sims

I’m not sure if those screens are proprietary or not (PC Pilot magazine). Unfortunately, without much research into it…I think I agree that they need to be hidden here. Apologies, but I don’t want to step on any toes.

So much for me thinking this would never happen. Should I put in a new Drive now and name it Mocroprose?
Dang, I love this! Thanks Chuck!

It’s definitely in my top 5

2 Likes

But it sure beats sitting through Red Tails! LoL

2 Likes

Some news on the B-17 front (fronts?)

https://us19.campaign-archive.com/?e=44460ecd69&u=36f144f6a13c508dbdbdbaa87&id=7673e31736

I am ridiculously excited to see what Microprose has coming for WWII sims/games. Like, Cliffs of Dover excitement level (and we all know how that worked out) but I don’t care.

5 Likes

I immediately put The Mighty Eight VR on my Steam wishlist!
Nice to see that MicroProse is picking up Outerra too… Could be a fun toy!

2 Likes

Outerra already exist since years, if you are not a fan of pure sandbox world engine and build all from zero. It will be as good or boring as it was since public access many years ago. My hype for outerra died years ago when the project died also into something that or community do something or its like as fun as many other sandbox games/engines that already exist and much more featured. Outerra alone is as fun as if you get Unreal 4/5 engine as a sandbox “game”, yyou can do whatever you want, and community can build things for it…
What i’m more excited and hyped is what MPS will do with that engine to produce full featured and complete games like B-17, Apache, …