The Official 4th Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - 2018 Edition

VATSIM can be very realistic for planned events (Calendar - January 2023, https://www.vatsim.net/events), when they stock up the controllers and have entire routes fully staffed. This is anything from simple narrowbody hops (ORD-CLE, for example), to epic Cross the Pond (CTP) events over the NATs. The controllers do a really good job of trying to work in as much real life procedure as possible. That being said, most controllers just use the VATSIM chat window to send down your PDC, which you can consider “ACARS” if you want.

Yes, I’m a commercial multi pilot and SR22 owner :slight_smile: I’m taking a hiatus from Silicon Valley right now but I was formerly a software engineer.

This shot summarizes my early days in aviation. Here I was, a mile above the earth, suspendended in air by thin sheets of aluminum riveted together decades before, and then suffered upon by countless student pilots for thousands of hours. And we placed our fate in its hands.

7 Likes

At some point I will have to give VATSIM a try. I have thought about trying out PilotEdge too, but the monthly subscription has deterred me from starting down that path (I don’t know why as I used to spend much more per month playing iEN’s Warbirds way back when).

The SR22 is on my list of airplanes I would like to fly someday. I’m ever so slightly jealous :sunglasses:.

**Hampton to Pago Pago **
Leg 12 - Cochin, India to Darwin, Australia

I needed a “big leap” to make the 1 January deadline and yesterday I got one. My flight plan to Darwin is 3,567 Nm. It is going to take several hours (it ended up being 9.1). As I mentioned, I was going with a Boeing Business Jet-3 (BBJ3). The BBJ3 is the long haul version of B737’s/BBJ’s. It is essentially a B737-900 ER. Two extra fuel tanks are installed, one each in the forward and aft cargo bays. I topped them all off.

My route:
VOCI SID ARONA W46 MDI M300 IDUDO L645 SADRI N563 SALAX A576 SJ A464 TPG M774 KIKEM A464 IKUMA J61 CURLY UY91 DONYA STAR YPDN

So the good folks at MAD (not the magazine) had stripped out the luxurious furnishings from a BBJ3 and turned it into a long range cargo hauler. I’m going to designate it a B737-900F ER…a “Nine Hundred Fff-er”, as it were. Then they tasked me to get it to Pago Pago before the earlier arrivals drink all the virtual beer.

Start up, taxi and take off were nominal…OK I had a hard time getting the navigation system aligned…I always screw up the sequence…it took a couple tries…then we were ready to go. It is a pre-dawn start so I can (hopefully) land in daylight.

Take off was to the West so I took the ARONA-5 SID…
02a%20SID%20MFD
…to get onto the eastward flightpath coming back over the airport.

02 SID

Heading to TOC…dawn as Sri Lanka comes into view.

Over the Bay of Bengal…lots of water, not really worth a screen shot. So I went off to the yacht club to check on my real boat…and have a Guinness .

Back in the cockpit flying over Indonesia (Sumatra Island)…

…across the Strait of Malacca…

05 SOM FMS

… some thunder storm activity in the strait…

…over Singapore…

and out over the Java Sea…hmmm…java…I think I’ll get a cup of coffee.

Sea Story:

When STENNIS was transiting the Java Sea in 2004, I went up to the Flag Bridge with a cup of coffee so I could honestly say that I had some java while looking at the Java Sea…its those little moments that make life wonderful.

Then back over Indonesia (Island of Kalimantan)…the last time I looked, the charts of this island include a few “uncharted” areas where terrain elevation is uncertain…the aviation equivalent of “Here there be Dragons”

Over the Java Sea again towards the Flores island…

…and then over Timor.

FMS Stuff

Fuel Management: While climbing I turned on the Main/Center Tank pumps and the Auxiliary fuel tank system. The way it works is that the Main tank empties out to a certain point, then fuel is pumped into the Main from both Auxiliary tanks. This “refills” the Main, at which point fuel is stoped pumping from the the Auxiliary tanks. When the Main tank level is again reduced to that level, the Auxiliaries fill it again. And so it goes. Interestingly enough, this is the same way the F-4E uses its external fuel tanks.

Step Climb: I also worked the Step Climb feature of the FMS. Fairly simple. You tell it the next flight level you want to go to, it counts down the time and distance and literally tells you “Now” when it is time to climb.
99%20FMS%20SC%20Fuel

Traffic! FSX ATC did its usual “stellar” job of de-conflicting air traffic. This B737 was at the same flight level and evidently on the same airway. Fortunately my TCAS caught it in time for me to climb…and way before ATC caught the conflict.

I had two other sightings not at co-altitude.
An Airbus…

…and a 777.

Australia was in view as I hit TOD and started down hill.
Winds Aloft were mostly favorable util I hit the Java Sea, then I hit some headwinds, up to 15 knots…not too bad, but now I had a nice tail wind. My fuel looked good. Initially the FMS said around 14 K lbs at YPDN. As the flight went on, the calculations went up to 20 K lbs…I guess that Step Climb stuff really works…

As I got closer, and lower, the weather started looking worse. But Darwin Intl (YPDN) was VFR so it couldn’t be too bad.

I used the DOYNA 2 STAR and got set for a RNAV RWY 11 approach. A bit of rain but visibility is good.

I settled in on glide slope and switched off the AP. Using the vertical view I was able to (mostly) maintain the glide slope.

The landing was smooth but off center to the left…still this is Australia and that is the side of the road they drive on…so….

Auto Brake, Spoilers and Reverse Thrust all worked as advertised.

Taxi off the active and head for the stand. (I forgot to load the enhanced scenery! Doh!)

Shut down and open the door…and evidently jump to the ground.

So with only 3,701 Nm to go and 3 days to do it in…I may just take one more, shorter, scenic hop before wrapping it all up.

9 Likes

It’s a blast. If you’re ever in the Bay Area I’m always up to giving rides and handing off the controls.

2 Likes

Sounds like the same type of weather I went through a few days ago…in the same area…

Fantastic flight and great look at all the hard work and procedures that make one of those long transoceanic flights happen. Superb!

They probably still told you to hold… :smile:

We have a satellite boys! That’s why we are shutting down the TeamSpeak…we are going into the satellite business…!

LOL…

Houston…we have a problem…

I found video of @Sine_Nomine talking to MAD CNTL:

Woot…!

Wow…me too! LOL…insane

Haha…

odds

3 Likes

That was a hack of a ride CG! Next year, maybe a slingshot around the moon before making a perfect splashdown at the 2019Christmas destination?

4 Likes

That’s a generous offer, thanks! I do occasionally drop into SFO, so maybe I’ll give you a shout sometime.

1 Like

So I had some free time today. I had originally planned on making one additional stop, but since I could do it all in one go that’s what happened. The route:

Graciosa Bay to Pago Pago, with Rotuma as a checkpoint roughly halfway. I only had one other leg of more than 1000 NM, so I figured the last one wasn’t a bad place. The presents have been brought, the secondary beer has arrived, but I hadn’t heard anyone say anything about fireworks.

Got us covered.

Virtavia’s B-29. As with all Virtavia/Alphasim products the systems modeling is lacking, but they have some pretty nice models on their current releases.

A B-29 off a 2700’ coral runway you ask? If Cygon_Parrot can land a Space Shuttle in Pago Pago, the least I can do it try and take off in one of the heaviest, most prone to light on fire, long take off run aircraft of WW2. I mean what’s the worst that could go wrong? All that stands between glory, and firey incredibly explosive death is 2700 feet of crushed coral, some palm tree’s, and 8,800 shp not deciding to light itself on fire.

The office for the next few hours. Compared to most other heavy bombers of the time (particularly American ones) was incredibly spacious and airy. The “greenhouse” cockpit was a first, and would carry over to the later B-36. For those who aren’t familiar with the B-29’s troubled operational beginnings, the Wright R-3350 Duplex Cyclones (later used in the Constellation) were prone to lighting themselves on fire. ALOT. For a variety of reasons the engines had tremendous trouble being kept cool. The second prototype built had to abort halfway through the first test flight due to an engine fire, and only 2 months later crashed due to an engine firing killing all on board, as well as 20 on the ground.

So with all that running through my head, there are a couple problems that I have to address with this takeoff. First runway length, this is WAY short for a B-29, usually operating off of 8,000’ or longer runways. It is reasonably warm, 78 degrees OAT, not sweltering but every degree counts. There are tree’s just past the end of the runway, so I need to be climbing as soon as I get the wheels unstuck. Climbing however is slow, which means less air going into the engines, which are already throttled all the way up for takeoff, which means hot engines getting litte cooling. Hmm.

In my favor, it’s about 1300 NM to Pago Pago, so roughly 1/4 of the B-29’s range, we can go very light on fuel. The plan, is to add some extra flap extension to help get us airborne, firewall the throttles, and as soon as we’re airborne and not going to hit terrain, back off from takeoff power, level off to let th engines cool down some. Open up the all the cooling flaps as much as I can for take off, and hopefully nothing lights off.

30 degrees flaps (normal is 15) and 47.5" manifold pressure did the trick (being something like 24,000 lbs of fuel lighter probably helped some too). This rendition of the B-29 has a massive yaw to the right on takeoff, and you’ll spend most of the flight fiddling with the rudder trim. I have no clue if that’s realistic or not. Also I’m pretty sure with Virtavias system modeling, there’s no way to actually torch an engine. Even with that limitation, I do my best to make sure to keep the engine temps under control.

We quickly accelerate to 190 MPH IAS (no clue why the B-29 uses MPH, but it does), which is climb speed, with no over temping. I set 43" and 2400 RPM and head skyward.

FL30, IAS of 240 MPH, per the GPS doing about 340 knots over the ground. Not bad for this old girl. It really is a pretty model. With some deeper systems modeling it could be an epic FS aircraft, but alas I doubt that’s ever going to happen.

Now for a tour, as we’re in the air for about 4 hours.

First up the flight engineers station. 90% of the knobs and switches have no practical effect sadly.

The bombardiers station Norden sight in view. Sadly it is not modeled in anyway shape or fashion.

Same with the nose gun-sighting head swung into position. The B-29 featured an incredibly advanced for it’s time (and today it’s still pretty impressive) system of centralized fire control. Using the sighting heads around the bomber 5 gunners controlled 4 turrets remotely. The gunners job was to simply track the target, range it correctly with the reticle in the sight, and the gunnery computer did the rest. The master gunner could assign from none to all turrets to a sight head, and the computer did all the calculations for lead, range, and parallax (as the sighting heads were well offset from the different gun locations). And all of this occured in pressurized temperature controlled comfort!

Between the seats view.

The autopilot panel, and the radio stack (Com 1, Nav 1, NBD) there is also the default FSX GPS.

Land spotted in the distance, that’s Rotuma, the halfway point roughly.

Real world B-29 missions could last for 12+ hours. As mentioned above the B-29 was fully pressurized and temperature controlled, making it much less fatiguing to sustain these missions. The forward section of the AC was connected to the aft section by a pressurized tunnel that ran through the bomb bays, and usually featured a small wheeled cart you pulled your self over on. The aft section had a galley and berths. The tail gunner, as tail gunners always do, was stuck by himself in the tail gun station. It was pressurized, but there was no pressurized connection to aft crew space. Barring injury or calamity, they were alone in the back from the time the climb started, until the time the AC got back under 10,000’.

I really should have come in from the other side, but that’s what flight simming is for right?*

A beautiful touch down, just about to put weight on the nose gear. I could have had a bit more flare to bleed more speed, but this worked out just fine.

And stopped. 20,000 lbs of New Years eve supplies delivered.

So my overall route covered approximately 12,300 NM and probably ~55 hours of flight time. I flew 19 different AC, ranging from large widebody jets (the VC10) on down to a light GA plane with the SIAI-Marchetti SF.260. Overall it was a great bit of fun, flying a bunch of AC I hadn’t wheeled out of the hanger in a long time, or that I had my eye on for a while. It turned out different than I had planned, but that’s half the fun right?

11 Likes

Congrat’s!! That was an epic journey! You arrived at Pago Pago just a little before me!

1 Like

Last leg for me too! Christmas Island to Pago Pago…

I decided to swap airplanes for the final hop. So, I give you (drum roll please), the awesome Avro Vulcan.

She slips the surly bonds and we are on our way.

The view from the cockpit isn’t the greatest, but look at the main panel! You can see that despite the futuristic shape of the Vulcan, it really wasn’t all that far removed from the Lancaster in some ways. The first flight of the Lancaster was in January 1941. Just 11 years later, the Vulcan prototype took to the air for the first time.

Cruising along at FL430.

I stayed high until I picked up the Pago Pago NDB. That meant that I had to hussle down once I picked up the beacon. Boards out and down we go…

Once I descended through the cloud layer, Pago Pago was right below me. I figured a flyby would warn my fellow Mudspikers that I had finally arrived. Hopefully there will be a beer waiting for me when I get to the bar :wink: .

After the flyby, I just made a teardrop pattern to line me up with Runway 04.

After touchdown, I popped the Chute…

Taxiing up the second runway, towards the parking area.

Finally shut down at Pago Pago!! :sunglasses:

It has been a fun trek once again! Happy New Year everyone!

11 Likes

The Vulcan, I’ve been thinking about picking that one up. This whole thing has not been good for my wallet lol.

In that cockpit screen shot it looked like your heading bug was off…a problem with X-Plane? :wink:

1 Like

As they were refueling the jet, I took a look around YPDN…wandered over to the military side…and saw this. Some bloke, named “Bogus…something”, wanted me to fly it on the last legs of the Mudspike Christmas Flight. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

In this case, your wallet can breathe easy… :sunglasses:

@BeachAV8R found it on X-Plane.org. Evidently it was originally payware, but now it is available for free…

Avro Vulcan BMk2 - Military Aircraft - X-Plane.Org Forum

1 Like

Mumble mumble bah humbug mumble mumble. I’ll be at the bar… :wink: .

2 Likes

Agreed Paul. It’s amazing the types of aircraft that were conceived and developed in the 2 decades following the end of WW2. Doing some follow-up reading on the Vulcan after your previous flight, I found this BBC documentary fascinating.

https://youtu.be/I4GKYDCgNNw

3 Likes

Nice route and nice last leg…! Thanks for sharing your journey…

Thanks for sharing another incredible journey. I share your enthusiasm for space, but probably not so much for the math of it :rofl: I did surprise my mother as a young boy when I went to the library (what are those???) and checked out a book on orbital mechanics.

Have a great 2019! Good luck with the new job posting…

3 Likes