The Official 4th Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - 2018 Edition

I Highly recommend the following books. Valiant boys, Victor boys and vulcan boys if you even have a passing interest in the subject of the development of the v bomber’s. The author Tony blackman was an avro test pilot and is a fantastic writer. Well worth a read.
I have a slight obsession with the Victor… And by slight I mean huge.

1 Like

Thanks for the link Dan. That was interesting to watch. The 1950’s would have been exciting times to be a pilot I think. Progress was being made at such a rapid pace during that period.

My time in the RAF (1990-1999) was at an interesting time when it came to types used. We had the Phantom, Buccaneer, Nimrod, Tornado GR1, Tornado F3, Harrier GR5/GR7, Jaguar, Victor K2, Hawk T1/T1A, Tucano, C130, and Dominie (HS125). The Vulcan and Victor had been retired only a short time before I joined up. Now, only the Tornado is still in service as the GR4, soon to be retired, as well as the C130 (much like the B52, I suspect I’ll probably be retired before they leave service)…

Enough of my reminiscing on a previous life. Seems like yesterday though.

3 Likes

No! More please! I could read about and listen to RAF anecdotes till the end of time! My stepfather was a dog handler at brize norton and never went near an aircraft as far as I can tell, even his stories are amazing!

Hmm… well lets see what I can come up with. I’ll post on a separate thread though…

1 Like

Looking forward to it Paul. :slight_smile:

Wheels

Don’t expect anything too exciting from me. I was just a lowly Senior Aircraftman who made tea and coffee in the tower. :wink:

1 Like

I drive eggs around in a lorry with a 25 foot chicken painted on the side in the dark with a bit of real flying in the summer! Trust me your stories are the ones we want to hear! Looking forward to it!

1 Like

That’s ok, Someones gotta do it. :sunglasses:
No matter the person’s rank it seems everyone who served has at least one absolutely hilarious, screwball, or downright WTF story from there time in the military.

Wheels

1 Like

Doh, I’m still on FSX, maybe it’s time to make the plunge to Xplane or P3D. Decisions, decisions,…

You should give X-Plane 11 a try. It is on sale through Steam right now for just under $40 (usually $59).

MUDSPIKE FLYING CLUB!

You have some serious talent there CP! Do you still do any pen and ink work?

@Sine_Nomine - that is excellent!

One thing to consider is that the details/summary tag seems to hide content for emails subscribers (a bug) so wanted to let you know. We actually have quite a few ‘email lurkers’ that just like to receive a summary of stuff happening here. I need to sort out how the details/summary reveal thing will work for that.

1 Like

WOW! you are hugely talented! Thanks for posting that it’s an incredible painting you should be very proud of your work!
Plus the K2 in the hemp colour is a gorgeous monster

I think yours looks like it has much more life in it!

1 Like

ŠNR 2019 ! ( Happy New Year '19 )

To all that reached destination and also to all others ( including me :slight_smile: ).
I got stuck very early on my trip. Distracted by irl stuf and my new 4k monitor ( flying all the DCS I was omiting lately ).

I hope I will slowly continue on this virt adventure in 2019 as it will be shame to skip it completly.

Leg08 Bella Coola to Juneau (CYBD - PAJN)

P3Dv4 mods used for this leg:
JustFlight DH.98 Mosquito FB Mk VI
Orbx: all layers plus PAJN and CYBD
Active Sky P3Dv4 and Cloud Art
Sound set from this freeware Mosquito.

Summary

I imagine like a few of you MUDSPIKE members, since a young boy, few WW2 aircraft captured my imagination like the de Havilland Mosquito. While the Mossie’s missions were endless, the FB (fighter bomber) Mk VI type, which sported four 20mm Hispano cannons and four .303 Browning machine guns in the nose is arguably the most popular. Surely, it is what I invision when de Havilland Mosquito is mentioned.

My mission would be to relocate this fine example from Bella Coola, BC to Juneau, Alaska. While the details were somewhat cloudy, the rumor was that due to the recent passing of its wealthy owner, the Mossie was being being spirited away to prevent its being divided among the inheritors of the estate.

My recent acquaintance, who I will refer to as “camo T”, not only was an incredibly adept tour guide of the Bella Coola valley, but also seemed to have her hooks deep into the soul of aviation. In other words, she had a lot of pilot friends. One of them took a liking to my arrival in the old Beech, and felt that I’d be a good candidate for the Mosquito sortie. A fee was offered and hastily accepted. Little did he know that I would have paid for the privilege.

Fortunately, I was given and hour of dual instruction prior to my departure, which included a single approach and landing, my “instructor” riding slightly behind me in the navigator’s seat. Although the checklist he provided stated that the Mossie could be brought over the fence at 105 kts with full flaps, he warned me not to let her get slow, lest she do the original version of the Saber dance.

Had to post so that I could relocate. The story will continue here.

My contact shook hands while wishing me god luck with a wink and a shrug. I topped her off and made sure that the beer barrels were secure in the bomb bay. Returning to the cabin, pulling up the ladder, and closing the hatch, I had a look around. Some sane individual had installed a few “modern” radios in the electronics bay. Still, this would be mostly an NDB trip, my first of the journey. Not completely understanding how the nav radios would be presented in the panel, I would maintain a modicum of sanity and verify my position on my tablet EFB’s moving map.

I’m not sure who restored the Merlins, but they certainly seemed eager to the task. Both rumbled to life and brought me to the line with confidence. But damm, the checklist sure is lacking manifold and rpm guidance. Will need to fly this one with an ear to the cylinder block. I should probably refer to a Spit manual!

Before launching, I consider removing the gunsight. It sure gets in the way of some necessary reading.

Even near MTOW, the Mossie accelerates briskly and we break ground early. As I enter the scattered overcast, I turn my head for a last look at a fading Bella Coola.

With a 4000 + feet per minute climb, there is little fear of hitting the hard stuff. This thing is a rocket.

Soon enough we break out on top of both mountain and clouds.

IMHO, life does NOT get better than this.

I might as well look the part.

After a while, I begin to feel at home with the Merlins. This is the engine that took many a Mustang to Berlin and back, is it not.

Happy as a clam at 200 kts indicated, or a nice calculated 300 true.

Hmm, that so called NDB instrument is looking like chopsticks to me. I hope that it gathers the signal soon. And the fuel gauge doesn’t exactly make me feel warm and fuzzy. Even though I have the outer tanks selected, only the starboard central shows consumption. A knuckle tap doesn’t have noticeable effect.

Author’s note: as I would find later, some of the switches in the cockpit had little or no effect on aircraft performance. Like the radiator covers. No change in engine temps on or off. Still, I kept to the schedule for them and the fuel valves. With more time, I’d map the fuel valves to consumption. But the props kept turnin’, so I’m saving that for a later date. Sadly, the manual is lacking some key information and there is not a dedicated forum for this aircraft. I replaced the sound pack with one from a freeware Mossie. Will link it ASAP.
I absolutely love flying her regardless.

While on top, we enjoy warming rays from the west. Hope the sunshine follows me to Juneau, but the TAF says otherwise.

I bet that this vintage kit on the right is worth a king’s ransom. For me it’s a boat anchor at the moment.

At last the needles confirm that the radio is working and that we are pointed in the right direction.

We trade one NDB for another and motor on. I bet that there are some hungry bears down there just waiting for me to screw up my fuel management.

But you little cubbies go hungry. We are getting it on like we are going to take out a radio station in Berlin.

As long as I can see the fjords, I am not too worried about the approach. Doesn’t usually work out that way though IME.

Like I was saying…

We held on a little late, then began a 2k fpm descent, appreciating a break when we had one and cross referencing FltPlan Go on the way down.

I can hear myself now, “The engines ran like Shimano Dura Ace, right up to the point that they quit.”

In we go.

And out we come about 800 over.

I add 2 kts for each kid, 1 for Claudia, and the Mossie rewards me with a beautiful landing and rollout. Of course as soon as the wheels touch, a light rain begins to fall. At 2C this will most likely be snow if a couple of hours.

Ha, bet you don’t see one of these every day, I think looking at a shocked line boy.

Wondering if they have direct service to Pago Pago.

Of course initially I taxi to the wrong building. But not seeing a hangar door for the Mossie’s safe keeping, I refer to my iPad which directs us to the right ramp. Not much of a bush pilot am I.

Tinkering with some of the switches that I was afraid to throw during flight, lest I bomb bears with beer, I find one that lights the fluorescents. Cool.

OK, one day to go. I obviously need something with longer legs faster.

8 Likes

Dura Ace, really?! Campagnolo Super Record if we’re going classic (though I am a SRAM Red man myself).

You appear to be flying a bunch of birds I’ve had an eye on, the Just Flight Mossie has been in and out of my basket several times lately. It sounds like a solid buy?

1 Like

I’d say while it’s on sale and for lack of a better offering, yes. If you are looking for Carenado level 3D art and A2A systems accuracy, definitely pass. In other words, if you like the screens and don’t mind a few things inoperable, it’s a lot of fun.

PS: new bike has SRAM. Circa 2004 Trek has Dura Ace with a gazilion miles, been up all of the major TdF Alps climbs multiple times, had worn out wheels replaced 3 times, I can’t kill the damn thing. Never seen such a bulletproof groupo.

1 Like

I picked up a freeware Mossie from here. It’s the bomber version, and graphically it’s not quite as pretty. Then again it’s freeware. I was looking at the Just Flight one, hoping for good system modeling, though it sounds like it’s a bit lacking there, so I may wait for it to end up on sale.

We run Shimano on our patrol mountain bikes at work, and they have been pretty bullet proof (I was an instructor for a couple of years). I will definitely say that Shimano’s stuff is rugged. Far as SRAM once I went double tap I could never go back.

2 Likes

Hampton to Pago Pago Leg 14 - Darwin to Cairns
“Aus-pocalypse Now”

“Darwin…dang it! I’m still in Darwin”, I said out loud…and then wondered where I had heard that before.

The clock was ticking. I needed to get on with the trip. I was so close. Actually, that wasn’t true, I was still pretty far from Pago Pago…but it felt like I was close.

As if they had read my mind, the “MAD men” called with my next assignment. I was to meet them in a dark alley over in an isolated part of the aerodrome at dawn. I wasn’t thrilled about meeting them in a dark alley…and who says “aerodrome” any more.

I was early. As I entered the alley between two old hangars I caught a glimpse of my new ride. I knew that flying the 737-900-F-ER was too good to last. But still this was ridiculous.

A commuter turboprop for a 900 Nm trip? Were they serious? They were. I sighed and began preparing for the flight.

Naming the J41 “Jetstream” is more than a little misleading since its max altitude is FL250-at least 10,000 feet below the real jet stream, and with max speed at altitude 211 KIAS…you get the picture. This trip was going to take longer than I had anticipated.

I was given a flight plan. It was simple enough.
YPDN -D-> RUSKA W473 KOW W364 NONUM STAR YBCS

Preflight included doing fuel calculations by hand. In the J41, with trips over a couple of hours, you have to start trading payload for fuel. I figured the Christmas gifts at 1200 lbs in the cargo hold and another 340 lbs in the belly pod, plus 10 PAX. My rough-very rough-fuel calculations…an average 250 knot GS…1200 lbs the first hour and 1000 lbs every hour afterwards…carry the three…gave me 4900 lbs…I was under max takeoff weight…which was a good thing.

Next, I needed to look up the takeoff V speeds…I turned on the map light,…it gave the Speed Reference cards an ethereal glow…somewhere off in the distance I heard a dingo howl…

Next came the weather. I looked out the window. It was dark and rainy. Good enough.

The FMS is not like those found on Boeing’s or Airbuses. It took a bit of “experimentation” (and cracking a manual) to get the flight plan set with VNAV and fuel calculations. I got all the numbers entered where they were supposed to be, so it was time to go. I taxied out…

Takeoff is always fun…and often a bit challenging, if you do not want to melt an engine or two going down the runway. The plane is actually pretty powerful but a bit finicky. On cold days, you will hit the torque limits before 100% power. On hot days, you will hit max EGT temperature before 100% power. This morning it is warm. I hit max EGT and leave the throttles there. The plane practically jumps off the ground at Vr…

…and climbs smartly.

One thing about the Ausie Bureau of MAD, they sure like their tail livery.

As we settled in at FL220, the north coast was off the left wing.

This aircraft was named “Viggen Avenger”…what an odd monicker…

After working the power and prop condition levers, I got both engines exactly the same…

…which was nice, until I realized that my RPM was too low – needed to be at least 96%.

The Gulf of Carpentaria came into view. (That’s the big bite taken out of northern Australia.)

Crossing over Groote Eylandt…

…and the creatively named Groote Eylandt airport.

(Looks like Ant has reworked the airfield. I’ll have to check it out sometime)

Then its out over the wide, wide gulf.

Making landfall on the eastern shore of the gulf.

Doing some aviation crosschecking as I near Kowanyama…the FMS/GPS is keeping’s on the route…and we have a little tailwind to help things go a bit faster

The turn over the KOW NDB onto W364.

It is looking a bit cloudy at several altitudes up ahead as we cruise over Queensland.

The northern spur of the Great Dividing Range come into in the distance…

…and pretty soon it is all mountains and scattered clouds below.

It looks like I’ve got a bit of icing…on go the deicing boots and prop heat.

As the coast comes into view, I begin descending…

…working my way through the cloud layers…

…until I break out with good visibility below the clouds.

(YBCS is just over the coastal hills.)

A final navigation check as I fly the CODIE 5 STAR to an RNAV RWY 11 approach.

Turning final.

On final but i’m high and fast…one thing the J41 does not like to do is come down and slow down at the same time…but I’ll give it a try. (The clouds blocking the VASI are not helping.)

I manage to lose the “extra altitude” and shed speed down to Vref (Dang, I forgot to enter it)…left for line up…

…on the ground…

…and rolling out.

Taxiing in.

Parked and unloading. Thus ends the penultimate leg of this great Xmas adventure.

The MAD agent in Cairns meets me on the tarmac.

“You are late.”, he says.

I was actually a few minutes early but I don’t want to argue, so I just shrug sardonically.

“Follow me.”, he barks and heads towards a company vehicle.

It seems like we drive all over the airport to get to another cargo ramp. We get out of the vehicle and start to walk towards a HEAVY LIFT L-100.

“Your next aircraft is up ahead.” the MAD agent says, “You need to get wheels up as soon as you can. It is at least a five hour flight to Pago Pago.”

I am a bit puzzled. While I like flying the L-100 / C-130, I hadn’t know MAD to ever lease another freight hauling company’s aircraft for one of our runs. Heck, I seem to recall them assigning a MAD pilot to fly some sort of ancient Tri-Motor rather than lease a competitor’s jet. Something is not right, so I decide to find out.

“So, why are we are using this L-100 for the final leg?” , I ask nonchalantly, trying to hide my confusion.

“What?!”, the agent barks back, then in an annoyed tone, “No, not the HEAVY LIFT plane…our…your plane is just behind it.”

He quickens his pace and I have to practically jog to catch up, so it takes me a moment to notice…

“Oh no…they can’t…they wouldn’t…”, I think.

But I know, they would. I’ll be taking an old 707 converted cargo jet for the last leg…flying outer the vast Pacific with only the old INS and Doppler navigation systems to keep me on course…the same kind of aircraft that I had to leave in Norway due to its cantankerous nav systems and “difficult to accurately calculate” fuel system.

The clock is ticking…

7 Likes