The Russian Ministry of Information video thread

3 Likes

These videos are good to get the positioning of the various support vehicles around aircraft. I usually put a couple static aircraft at a base in my missions with a fuel truck or what-have-you parked around them, servicing them.

https://youtu.be/dPJIf6VmXU8

4 Likes

I’m dig’n the jazz flute musical accompaniment on the second video…you should put it in the What We Hearing thread. :grin:

2 Likes

It’s to bad they don’t use more of that music in the videos as I would prefer it over the stuff in the first video. Otherwise that channel has some really good Soviet era aviation footage and the videos are reasonable in length.

1 Like

rough surface takeoff and landings, and some great shots of the hind … not sure about the music though :grin:

2 Likes

Oh come on, that music is fitting as can be. Russian soldiers with an old accordion singing about how utterly awesome they are. It’s as russian as the chopper you’re looking at. As a russophile, I find it just perfect. :cccp:

3 Likes

Not sure? Not sure what about Comrade? Not sure if will only bring tear to eye? Or will bring full weeping for the glory of the Motherland! :cccp:

.:wink:

1 Like

I cannot wait to fly one of those in dcs…

9 Likes

Oh man, a mug only a mother could love :rofl:

Talking about the helicopter of course :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Not really Russian…but certainly not NATO…lol…so this is where it goes…

7 Likes

There actually is a Chinese Air Ministry Thread in the forums. We’ll let it go this time but if it happens again, I’ll report you to the administrators. :wink: :slight_smile:
Chinese Aviation Ministry of Information Thread

7 Likes

I should really hang out here more and learn about the layout… :rofl:

9 Likes

Not aircraft related but interesting look at some Russian artillery.

6 Likes

That’s awesome. Amazed at all the moving parts of the semi-auto loading systems.

Good find @RedBravo65. :sunglasses:

Wheels

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jll1boO0Vbo
how russian aircraft get their nato names

4 Likes

Great video! Obviously something I picked up way back when, this video spells it out very well - I wish I had see it in 1985.

He doesn’t try to tackle the Cold War naming convention for Soviet subs, for which I don’t blame him…likely because there really was no rhyme or reason I could discern other than using English-language letters.

Up the the Akula and Typhoon classes of sub, all were named for the NATO phonetic alphabet. So we had Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India, Juliet, Kilo, Lima,Mike (single unit class; sank 7 April 1989), November, Oscar, Papa, Romeo, Sierra, Tango, Uniform, Victor, Whisky, Yankee and Zulu. (I think there might have been an X-Ray but pretty sure no Quebec)

Now you are probably saying, “what’s so wrong with that?” What is “wrong” and made things confusing is that they didn’t go in alphabetical order. For example the Foxtrot and Whiskey were old-model diesel-electric subs(SS) while the Alpha was a new-ish nuclear attack sub (SSN).

The initial nuclear subs were the November SSN, the Echo SSGN (guided missile attack sub) and Hotel SSBN (Ballistic missile sub). Then they went to Victor SSN; Charlie then Oscar SSGNs; and Yankee then Delta SSBNs…if there is a pattern there, I can’t see it…maybe that was the point.

Some of the subs were “updated” or “modified” classes which got a roman numerals added to the initial class and updated classes (Oscar I , Oscar II; D I, II, III, IV) or “Mod” tacked onto the name …or both (Mod-Echo II).

Obviously this was a method doomed to ultimate failure as eventually you run out of letters…which they did. When the Typhoon came out they switched. The story I heard about the Typhoon was they had meant to use the Soviet name for it so named it Typhoon. Except that wasn’t the Soviet name of the sub, it was the Soviet name of the sub’s missile (NATO nomenclature SS-N-20; Sturgeon) …sort of how we used to call a Washington-class SSBM a “Polaris SSBN” after the missile it carried. So we got that one wrong. I believe the Akula-class SSN is named correctly…not sure the Russians make the Akula I and Akula II differentiation that NATO does.

To bring this back to Flight Sim stuff…the Kilo in DCS was the last Soviet SS to receive a NATO alphabetic code name. In the OpenBeta I have also seen a crude looking Tango SS (newer than F and W; older than K).

4 Likes

Didn’t the Soviets use alphanumerics for their subs for most of the cold war? K-19 etc?

2 Likes