Thoughts on new PC.

I could not say but I thought the signal had to come from the GPU via one of the ports. GO retro and get a CRT :wink:

1 Like

Parts are starting to arrive…

Corsair RM850i PSU and two 120 Noctua PWM case fans with dust shields.

I may be easily impressed, but I feel I bought quality when it comes in its own little pouch, and the braided cables have their own bag. :wink:

1 Like

I’m thinking about my liquid cooler setup… Haven’t got it yet, so I’m just throwing around ideas inside my head.

It has a reservoir w. pump, radiator w. fans and a CPU block. The GPU has a built in liquid cooling block.
Now, in what order should I put things, in the loop? I guess it makes sense to put the radiator after the warm parts…

->Reservoir/Pump-CPU-GPU-Radiator->

Or

->Reservoir/Pump-GPU-CPU-Radiator->

Does it matter?

what about a couple of T joints and put them parallel then they should get the same cooling effect … rather than the first thing heating the coolant then going into the second item already warm… just an idea… not sure how this would effect the flow rates

Thought about that… But that would require equal flow through the cooler blocks, since there’s only one inlet to the radiator. It would work with two radiators, though. The reservoir/pump has got two inlets.

But most people seem to use a single loop. I haven’t seen any consensus about the order of the cooler blocks.

The graphics card has the higher TDP, so i’d put it last, counter current principle and such…

Please elaborate some. Didn’t understand. This is new knowledge to me… :slight_smile:

TDP = thermal design power, the thermal output of the system that the manufacturer specifies

A typical desktop CPU will be somewhere in the range of 60W to 100W while mid to highlevel graphics card will be in the range of 150w to 300W.

In most use cases, the GPU will put out significantly more heat than the CPU, so putting the CPU first gives you more thermal efficiency given that the cooler component will get the cooler water while the hotter component will run hot enough that there’ll still be significant gradient between the radiator and the cooling fluid to facilitate thermal conduction.

These are all pretty academic thoughts though, i don’t think you’ll see any significant difference unless your fluid becomes so hot that one of the components (GPU or CPU) runs into its thermal throttling regime, which is unlikely if you didn’t completely undersize your pump and radiator.

2 Likes

Thanks!
Roger that.

Interesting stuff, that I never would’ve considered…

1 Like

My advice fwiw go to cpu before gpu as the coffee lakes are so much cooler running than previous chips
Think about res- rad- cpu- gpu- res. If you find its running hot add push fans to radiator. I personally think it will be fine. Also I assume the fittings will be quick release ? Leave enough length on tubing to alternate set-up until you find sweet spot. Don’t overlook a drain tap in your loop too you will need it for coolant change eventually :smile: sent from my bath

My “Thoughts on new PC.” are I still love my five year old PC (4.5 GHz w 24 GB of 2400 MHz RAM), and you’ll never see me liquid cooling anything.

Also, the GPU always seems to be the biggest bottleneck.

Example …

untitled-6

BTW, VR is a rabbit hole that I rarely like to visit.

They are called “compression fittings”.

Hmmm! Never thought of that! :slight_smile:
I guess I would remove the loop before emptying the liquid anyway. Just in case… Or, actually, out of case…! :smile:

Yeah, the manual touches this as an option, and that some users report slightly better cooling, with the res just before the hot spots. But it also states that straight routing of the tubes is more important. So I guess it will come down to how the parts are placed in relation to eachother.

«Rabbit Hole» is a good metaphore! :smile:
Don’t think I would upgrade either, if I wasn’t hooked by VR. And I don’t actually expect dramatic improvements with this new setup.

More parts in the mail today…

Just waiting for the Liquid cooler…

2 Likes

Where is the TIM ? What did you decide to go with ?
Will you be having a mobile disco with all those RGB LEDs :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s supposed to be some K3 with the XSPC RayStorm cooler.

I doubt I will use them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok I must repeat that the Kryonaut is the bees knees of TIM

1 Like

Ah! I didn’t catch that reference earlier. Will get some.

Edit: Ordered! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let me know how you like the Maximus Hero. I’m having to re-build my 8700k system around that board after having all sorts of trouble with the Asrock Z370 Taichi. My TrackIR hates the Taichi. It doesn’t come with USB 2.0 ports and it wouldn’t play nice with the Intel USB 3.0 Host Controller. TrackIR would hang, causing BSOD during restarts and resuming from sleep. Spent hours and hours trying to figure that one out. Then, I had 4 of 8 SATA ports die on me… not fun. To top it off ASRock support is pretty lame. I tried to setup an RMA for the board but there is no support phone numbers listed on their website. You have to fill out a form and wait for them to get back to you. Plus… they don’t work on weekends. I later found out the reason for 5 stars and 97 reviews on Newegg for the Taichi. Its because Asrock setup a rebate program that required you leave a review to get the rebate!

I used Asus boards for years and never had any trouble so looking forward to getting this headache behind me. I went all air-cooling this time, not that I was ever big into custom water cooled setups. Temps on my 8700K stay in the low to mid 20’s with the Noctura D15. No overclocking yet, waiting to rebuild my system on the Maximus before I hit that up. Here’s my solution to silent and cool computing. I moved my gaming rig into the basement below my office… works great :wink:

4 Likes

That Noctua cooler is awesome. I have the same one on my (now rather long in the tooth) 2500k - even overclocked to 4.8 the temps stay pretty much locked at ambient +5C or so :+1:

1 Like