Thoughts on new PC.

Installing Win10 on my newest machine was a breeze. Loved it. Well I mean as much as you can love installing things. You know what I mean!

1 Like

Yeah. I remember the days of installing DOS first. :wink:

Remember Win95 boot disks? That was a quantum leap.

I vaguely remember having to install DOS and CDROM drivers anyway… :slight_smile:

I’m happy to report that the new PC is running like clockwork!

DCS is already installed. Downloading IL-2 now. Will need to setup Oculus and SteamVR next.

And then I thought I’d make the clock run a little faster… :wink:

@Cib… Any input on this?

Not Cib but what’s your endgame? Do you want to play it conservative and run on stock voltages or do you really want to push the boundaries?

In short, if you remain on stock voltages, there is practically zero potential to kill your hardware. Maybe that’s a good starting point. If you want to dive deeper, you’ll probably have to do a bit of reading what people typically get out of your set of hardware.

Depending on your motherboard, there may even be some overclock default settings for your hardware in the UEFI.

If not, you could just start by cranking up the CPU multiplier in the UEFI CPU settings until the system stops booting. Then work your way down until it boots. At that point, i’d run a load test to see if it’s reasonably stable (note that the thermal punishment tests that some people run are unrepresentative of the load that the system will face during day to day usage, so maybe try the CPU heaviest game in your inventory, that will give you less unnecessary headroom). If it is, voila, if not, decrease the multiplier a bit and repeat the testing process until you find a stable setting.

2 Likes

Thanks for stepping in, @sobek!
I’m just interested in a healthy boost. I hear 5GHz is doable on this CPU.

So I take it from your reasoning that I can just increase the multi to 50, and see how it fares…?
And then increase the voltage, if needed?

I guess speedstep or turbo should be off, or…?

Sorry Buddy I have ISP issues, Its like being in the 19th century, my smartphone died too last sunday. Isolation is a PITA

BIOS advanced settings there is a preconfigured setting to up it to 5 Ghz its the easiest way to test your cooling etc

1 Like

I found this video.
Tried his settings, and things are fine, until the Prime95 test, which crashes the PC.
I’m now running stable at 4.8GHz.

Edit: Using the correct Prime95 version allowed for a stable run @5.0GHz…so far :wink:

Will have a look for that setting you mention…

AVX offset will allow the OC and only use the maximum for gaming and non AVX aplications

1 Like

@Troll, do you have X-Plane 11? I couldn’t get it to load above 4.8.

I do! Will download and try.

The new PC works great!
There’s quite a lot to do to install everything in one go…
Now I have Steam, Oculus, DCS and IL-2 up and running.
Gained a substantial performance increase, but still not even close to max settings, in VR. Not that I expected to be.
Downloading X-Plane now.

Are there any tricks I need to apply in Win10? Stuff that can be turned off to save some CPU cycles…
I remember I got a tip to turn Hyperthreading off, in BIOS, on the i7 4790K. What about the 8700K?

@chipwich
X-Plane 11 latest beta installed and running fine… @5GHz on the CPU.

1 Like

Thanks Troll for linking that video. I tried those settings, and can fly around a bit in the C172. But load a complex aircraft, and it runs for about 5 mins, followed by a system lockup. The recovery screen shows CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, which I guess could be driver related. Still, if I fall back to 4.8, I don’t have lockups in any aircraft. Will keep tinkering, but given the very negligible performance improvement, I’d rather have stable.

PS: I should say that my case does not flow a lot of air. It is rather built for being compact and quiet. So, I should probably be happy with a stable 4.8 OC.

Ok, I have only tried the C172 and the Beech Baron, so far… Maybe if I try something with heavier systems, things may different.

What kind of temps are you getting?
I find that my CPU core temps fluctuate alot. 30-60°C.

Pics of the new PC, in actual SimBox use, with new dustfilters on all fans.

9 Likes

All set for a LAN party :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice! That turned out really well I think.
How’s the noise level of it, seeing the fans are pointed your way, more or less?

And, not to change the subject completely I hope, that rail system for the rudder pedals looks intriguing, do you have any close ups of that by chance?
I’m looking to constuct something similar myself for my old simPed’s, although I was thinking of using a pair of drawer rails, and a spring loaded pin. But this looks simpler/better I think.

Thanks! I think so too… :slight_smile:

I don’t have any numbers, but rather quiet. At least when compared to my old PC.
The front fans are the ones pushing air out through the radiator. Hardly notice them,

Have a look here:

I’ll be happy to answer any questions in that thread.

1 Like