Throttle finger lifts

Hi, @hkboondoggle and welcome to Mudspike! :mudspike:

I supplied the shape files for other DIY’ers and tinkerers to use as a base for their builds, so there’s no detailed description.
But since you ask I will definitely try to help.

First, the screw holding the spring to the clamps is just screwed in between the two clamp parts. No threads. Just used a small self tapping screw.

The infill and walls will depend on your slicer software. I just used the default settings for PLA in the slicer that accompanied my printer (Flashforge finder and FlashPrint).

The springs were just some I had in a box I bought some years ago, cut to the appropriate length. They’re about 5mm outer diameter.

The pins are 3mm diameter and 10mm long. Press fit into the finger lift.

Here are some additional pics of the assembly. The screws are M3, but you can use other screws of similar size.

5 Likes

Many thanks for the clarifications.

Though I would like to know if it is possible to insert wire screw sleeves in clamp 3 & 4?
'cause I’m not feeling confident in tapping a reliable screw thread on PLA.

Also, the springs are being held onto the finger lifts with a couple of 2.5 mm rods inside the lifts, correct?

No problem at all, in my experience. But you could easily drill out space for a nut, if you like.

That would work. I threaded the hole and used a 10mm grub screw. But a rod will probably work just as well.

2 Likes

Weeell, whaddaya know!

5 Likes

I’m looking to repeat my success with the fingerlifts that I made, but now for the CM2 throttle.

The CM2 has a larger throw and with the throttles at idle, there’s not much space under the handles.

And the handles are pretty large, so extending the fingers to grip a finger lift handle may prove to be a challenge.

The left throttle handle is rather small. The finger lift would have to be very thin so it won’t obstruct the right handle. And that would mean I need to place it so it can only be reached by the pinkie…

So, I’m thinking out loud here and would appreciate feedback.

Maybe I could make some manipulators on each handle for the idle lock, and go with a sturdy push through detent for the afterburner…?
Or, maybe I could make a single afterburner finger lift for just the right handle?

1 Like

That certainly is a challenge.

Did they make that choice because of that slider switch on the right throttle? Just curious why they would have made the left throttle so small. It looks like they increased the size of the right one and that meant making the left smaller so that the throttle grip was not so wide (ie: hand position is 80% on the right throttle). Is that hat on the left throttle annoying to use?

This works well on the TM:WH, so I would say give it a go.

1 Like

Nah, it sits pretty well under the pinky…

True…

3 Likes

Would be very useful. KISS Thanks Troll.

2 Likes

A push through detent is always an option. Otherwise longer levers? Would be quite ugly though and possibly even annoying…

2 Likes

Longer levers could be cool, but way outside the scope of this mod…

I’m thinking ball plungers and a screw passing through…?

1 Like

Hi Troll, nice job here. Your creation inspired me to finally register here, this is my first post.

I don’t have a 3d printer, but I DO have two Virpil throttles: the T-50 (version 2, with the five way hats), and T-50CM (version 3, with similar handles to the CM2, but has the toggle switch on left throttle and the larger base with more inputs).

I’m interested in potentially using your mod on the T-50CM, but due to its handles being closer in design to the CM2, I imagine getting Shapeways to print the files you’ve already posted would be a waste (I don’t have a 3d printer). Do you concur with that?

That said, one thing that’s a little unclear is the quantity of each STL that would need to be printed to use the original files (if I or someone else decided to use them on an original T-50 throttle). Could you please clarify that?

Thanks for the mod again!

3 Likes

Hey there, @RogueSqdn and very welcome to Mudspike! :mudspike:
I have sent the mod parts to a guy with a MT-50CM throttle. Waiting to hear how it fits.
I’ll let you know.
Here’s a pic of the parts.

You’ll need two of the Clamp 3&4 parts and one each of the rest.

There’s also a collet object. That’s just to reduce the 5mm pivot hole down to 3mm. If you need those you should print four collets.
Printing these at Shapeways will probably be expensive as they have a fee for each object.

But if I were you I’d wait a while… I’m designing a detent mod for the CM2 throttle that may change the earlier mod for the better too. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the info… I figured the collets needed multiples but wasn’t sure about the clamps.

I’ll wait for the new one to be finished before trying it. It’s not an immediate priority for me due to the excellent Winwing throttle.

9 Likes

WOW! That is a stylish sim pit!

Cool pit!
That Winwing throttle (which would be a much better name for it, vs. ”Super Taurus”:wink: ) looks really nice! Unfortunately it won’t fit my fold away simpit.
Happy with the TPR’s? I have them too and were pleasently surprised with them. I have modded them with a damper and extra springs. There’s a thread here at Mudspike about that, if interested.

Not really happy with the TPRs. The motion is great, but the quality has been poor in two respects:

1. Lots of play before engaging the wheel brakes.

2. The metal bracket that attaches to the back of the brakes have snapped in half, requiring me to get replacement from TM.

I ordered VPC ACE2 pedals last week, they should be here on Wednesday.

I like the pendulum motion as well. Can’t say I have noticed any play in the brakes though. That said I had to return my first TPRs because of a faulty brake sensor. The replacement has been perfect.
The VKB pedals are based on BRD’s design, which are very sturdy and of high quality. I have the BRD F2 pedals and they are great, but of a different design. I’m using the TPRs mostly because they fit my SimBox perfectly.
Before that I have had two different pedals from Slaw. They are really works of art! Great style and function, but slightly too big for my use.

Welcome @RogueSqdn. Extra points for the beverage holder.

It’s repurposed from my Obutto. :sunglasses: