Through the lens - VR pics

I was a pax flying in to Sumburgh for my new job flying the Islander just after this event. As we turned around at the end of the runway the tail was sticking out of the sea. The aircraft was replaced with a Let410 that appeared to be a great workhorse. If you did not mind a long delay for mail bags in Orkney and travelling in the early hours it was agreat way to get to and from Shetland. Air Ambulance Shetland based pilots only. I was told the crew did not see the threshold at first and went below minima. Then they saw it and put down. The wrong end threshold. Might just be a tall story but it amused me when I saw the tail and thought this was going to be what I might do.

Forgive me for spamming - just having a lot of fun revisiting some old modules.

The old AMX still looks OK-ish…cockpit is pretty dated and lots of stuff not working, but the flight model is still fun and it is pretty good for just stick and rudder flying in VR. Somehow it gained an afterburner (but performance is still in line with the real AMX…pretty poor…)

This one gives me hearburn. The Avroliner Project RJ70 I think this one is. Bought it for $29 back in 2015 and the developer has not responded to any e-mails or requests for updates. It seems to be getting some kind of updates once in awhile…but I think they are very, very, very little being done to it, and I’ve seen multiple posts with people saying the developer never responds to e-mails. I’ve chalked this one up as a loss - or at least - I can enjoy it “as is” because I won’t be buying anything more from them again.

It is just an odd thing to me why a developer walks away from something. Yes, I know…time versus profit…but so much of it is done and pretty darn good. I mean, this had to take thousands of hours…so why not polish it up here and there and keep selling it?

My only though is this - if you do nothing to it, and people keep buying it off the website - your work invested from the point you decide you don’t care into perpetuity is zero work for X dollars of gain. And anything more than one cent is free money at that point (well, except you have to run your website). I dunno. I just don’t get it.

It is a fun airplane though…performs nicely, is not great as far as VR controllers, but works fine with a mouse and the VR headset. Autopilot works good…a good green needle plane for getting decent loads into small areas.

And to show how truly depraved I am…this old C-27J freeware…it has a 2D cockpit that works in 3D (but its flat)…but the thing flies pretty good and is fun in VR.

So there you go. Totally useless stuff in this edition of “What Am I Looking At Tonight”…

5 Likes

4 Likes

Thanks for your patience @PaulRix - I had been hoping to get some VR time with the CRJ last night and it didn’t work out… So very, very initial impressions - it looks great in 2D and looks really good in VR. At least in the Reverb G2 I can run at 100% scaling or whatever it is called in MSFS and the MFDs are readable with no problem. By that I mean I can read the ACARS messages or EICAS or whatever they are called on that plane. Performance seems fine. These through the lens shots are not very good because it is only 6PM here and there is a ton of ambient light coming in the room, resulting in lots of glare and bad focus…but you get the idea…

A bummer (and this may be a MSFS limitation) is that the HUD is not focused at infinity, so you get a clear image in both eyes…but not focused at the appropriate focal length - so the HUD is pretty much unusuable in VR.

Overhead panel clarity and functionality felt good. I’m not a huge fan of the “roll the mousewheel” to make a switch move even though it may more closely mirror a movement, because my zoom is also mapped to that so if I’m slightly off the switch I end up zooming in and out real quickly… I should probably just disable that (cockpit zoom) in VR…it really isn’t necessary…

I have not dug into the FMC yet. Seems pretty functional though. Nor have I looked at the autopilot…but the plane feels good. In VR the MFDs might have a bit TOO much curve to them. I had noticed this same thing in VR with the P3D version of the CRJ…like they exaggerated the convexity (is that a word?) and it seems even moreso in VR. Not really noticeable unless you are looking for it though.

Feels like a fun plane. I’ll be wringing it out the next three days or so…but it seems like a solid purchase. Definitely the most advanced 3rd party aircraft brought into MSFS thus far. Bodes well for the future I think… It has a nice tablet on the left side of the cockpit that has a million config options.

3 Likes

Great, thanks Chris. It’s pretty much a given that I’ll pick this up sometime soon. I probably should wait a bit though because I have had a heavy month of sim purchases…MilViz Corsair, various scenery addons, and a hydraulic damper add on for my crosswind pedals, which should be arriving by the weekend. :crazy_face:

1 Like

6 Likes

A couple shots on @Wes’s HPN server last night…a fun mission by @Franze with great atmospherics now with the new clouds…

And me and @boomerang10 on the SFrog server…

3 Likes

@fearlessfrog getting some gas and weapons while I get configured for battle (triple checking my seat is armed)…

Coming back nearly empty…time to refuel and rearm…

Harpooning two ships (they shot first)…

Triggering all the Feng shui adherents with this load out…

I was trying to figure out LGBs but failed…so brought them all back…landed with about 700 lbs…

4 Likes

That reminds me - need that good looking Mudspike hornet skin! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll send em’ to ya in the morning!

2 Likes

:laughing:
You’d have to mount them on backwards (facing the front door [of the ship]…err, the bow?) to be fully covered, right?

Just spent a chill 0+55 (in that mission I uploaded…edited it some more) with LGB in the Viper and Hornet. I have a lot more time in the Hornet but they seemed to be easier in the Viper. Odd. And perhaps not quite correct yet perhaps.

2 Likes

700lbs?! I start getting real anxious when I get down below 2000 if the boat’s not in sight, because I know I’ll be really tight after my third bolter… :sweat_smile: :rofl: :shushing_face:

1 Like

Could u send me that hornet skin please @BeachAV8R? I haven’t got that one

1 Like

Finally managed to bomb something with the Hornet and ATFLIR… It is very satisfying. The clouds can make it interesting.

6 Likes

@Fridge with the Harpoon kill on the cruiser… poor @fearlessfrog -a-pedia had to walk us both through the steps again… My Harpoons took off northbound and probably sunk half of Turkey’s navy on accident…

3 Likes

I’ll put a link up tonight!

2 Likes

4 Likes

Got me. What is that?

1 Like

That’s the C-101CC… :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Have you got it figured out yet? I see the huge changelogs and think I will wait till they finish updating. Still a lovely plane for sightseeing :slight_smile:

1 Like