Tobii Head & Eye tracker 5

4 Likes

Head and eye trackingā€¦ Interesting!

Man, that head/eye tracking looks so smooth and user friendly Iā€™ve been hovering the finger I buy stuff with on the internet over the $233 US (10% off) button all day LOL! A bit pricey ā€¦

1 Like

Oopsā€¦I just did something rash. :nerd_face:

6 Likes

Itā€™s not unanimous at all. Despite Tobiiā€™s latest marketing push and a lot of new sponsored videos or the Reno Air Race sponsor, some people still have a hard time getting used to it, over TIR. I Want this to be good, though Iā€™m sick of wearing my cap and shutting the window every time I want to flyā€¦

Seen this?

If I donā€™t get along with the Tobii 5 then Iā€™ll return it and try the AIMXYZ. I suspect that I will do ok with the Tobii device though because I havenā€™t used TIR for several years now.

1 Like

So, do you need to wear something on your head, like a hat or clip? Or does it lock on to our planetoid sized craniums? We are pilots, arenā€™t we :grin:?

2 Likes

Me neither. Gave mine to my brother. In fact, the TIR5 didnā€™t work that well with my ultrawide monitor, especially when leaning in. Interested to hear if these new trackers are better.

No, in the case of the Tobii, it tracks your gaze. Not sure if it tracks the face too. The AimXY tracks the face and head without wearablesā€¦

1 Like

I just pulled the trigger on a tobii to try it out. I have the TIR5 with the pro clip and it works fine most of the time. My biggest gripe is the TIR will get a little micro-stutter when fps in the sim drops down below 60 fps. I normally run locked at 60 fps for the smoothest possible tracking. Iā€™m really hoping the tobii is immune to this issue and has smooth tracking with variable framerates.

The Tobii 5 tracks both your head and eyesā€¦and you can adjust the sensitivity for both independently (at least in MSFS)ā€¦ so, that would allow course changes with your head movement and much finer adjustments with your eyes. Sounds like it should feel pretty natural.

Iā€™m looking forward to trying it later today. VR will still be my primary method of simming for most types of flying, but I am hoping that this will be a good solution for airliner and IFR flying in general. Also, sometimes you just donā€™t want to wear a headset. I donā€™t wear headphones when simming, and so the IR Track Clip solutions are a bit of a pain. I also have a large window behind me in my ā€˜officeā€™ which plays havoc with the TIR (or similar) sensors. Iā€™m hoping that the Tobii 5 can cope with this a lot better than the older devices I have tried.

1 Like

LOL! I hope so. :wink: My head actually has gravity.

Looking forward to see what you guys think!

1 Like

really interested to hear your thoughts on these guys. I love my TiR 4. best thing for learning a new cockpit. be nice not to have the wiring etc attached

1 Like

So, this thing is pretty neat. It takes some tweaking to get things dialed in, but it works well in DCS and MSFS. I had some initial frustrations trying to get it to work in MSFS, but some Googling revealed that OpenTrack interferes with the Tobii drivers. So I uninstalled OpenTrackā€¦still no dice. Some more google-fu indicated that you need to do a deep dive uninstall of OpenTrack using a program like Revo Uninstaller. After reinstalling OpenTrack and then uninstalling it again using Revo, everything started working in MSFS.

Itā€™s certainly nice to have head tracking without having to attach anything to my noggin. It still feels a little clumsy to me, but that is probably because I have become used to the 1:1 smooth head tracking we get in VR. Iā€™m sure I will get used to it with a little more practice. It does track smoothly now that I have tweaked the settings a bit. Iā€™ll reserve judgement as to whether it is worth the money until after I can test it with sunlight shining into the room through the window directly behind meā€¦Track IR couldnā€™t cope with that .

7 Likes

Love to hear your results. I still tend towards TIR over VR but have similar issues ā€œdungeoningā€ my office!

Does it work natively with DCS?

Itā€™s not native but easy enough to set up. You have to have the Tobii software running in the background and point it to the DCS executable in the Bin folder of your install (you only have to do this once).

5 Likes

Well I got mine yesterday and sadly its back in the box already for return. I couldnā€™t get the tracking anywhere near as smooth as my TIR5. In MSFS I couldnā€™t get the head positioning to work so there was no ability to lean in. No amount of adjusting the sensitivity sliders would fix that. Tracking was smooth in MSFS but just like TIR the closer to 60 FPS you are the smoother the tracking is.

In DCS it was terrible. As PaulRix mentioned DCS doesnā€™t have native support. You have to install the Tobii Game hub to configure it. While there is a large selection of settings in the Game hub I couldnā€™t find any combination of them to make the Tobii tracking as smooth as my TIR5. Everyone says to turn off eye tracking which I did but it doesnā€™t seem to help. After giving up on my own settings I went in search of someone elseā€™s settings. I found a post on the DCS forums where someone posted their configuration and I tried that. After no improvement I gave up. The author also admitted he isnā€™t using the Tobii anymore. :laughing:

So itā€™s back to TIR5 for me. I use the pro clip on mine and highly recommend it. TIR runs at 120hz so it tracks the smoothest at 30, 60 or 120 fps. I run my sims locked at 60 fps and tracking is incredibly smooth. There are some wireless pro clip options out there now. I think Iā€™ll put the money from the Tobii into one of those instead.

4 Likes

Itā€™s definitely not perfect, but with the lighting conditions in my office/game room, the Tobii tracks much better than the TIR and Open-Track solutions I have tried. Iā€™m not having any issue with leaning backwards, forwards or side to side, so Iā€™m thinking that there is something going on with the way you have it set up in MSFS.

Have you seen this video by Q8Pilot?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s probably what I was missing with MSFS. I searched the key bindings for center, recenter, etc. but didnā€™t think of ā€œresetā€. :man_facepalming:

The bigger problem for me was the tracking smoothness in DCS. Nothing I tried worked to fix that.

1 Like