Tropical Storm / Hurricane Florence / update Michael

You need an LCAC…come in off the ocean out of the rising sun…they’ll never see you coming…

2 Likes

See us, no. Hear us, yes- from halfway to Bermuda. Got to take a ride on one of the ACU-5 LCAC’s back when I was recruiting.

I’LL BET IT WAS FUN AND IT CHANGED YOU FOREVER

:rofl::hear_no_evil:

2 Likes

Not gonna lie, it was pretty awesome. One of the BM’s I was friends with from my ship had transferred up there as a pilot, so we got to catch up afterwards- he had some great stories about playing with the Marines doing practice beachhead landings with Cobras and Harriers playing along as well.

2 Likes

Just spent the day ferrying more personnel into and out of Wilmington. The amount of flooding is amazingly persistent.

Further south - down near North Myrtle Beach, this shows the sheer volume of water moving down the river, but out of its banks. It looks all calm and serene until you see that all of that water is moving…

1 Like
2 Likes

Looks like an amazing organization Beach.

But why in the bleep do they always have to use over dramatic music in those types of videos??

Wheels

You’re right…different music puts a whole new slant on the operation…

http://vmashup.com/EZVuXfWI

hell

2 Likes

Some closer up views of the damage to 421 in these photos…

1 Like

Gosh darnit.

But beside that… How does it feel looking at that, from the standpoint of air? :smirk:

Jesus, that’s worse than I thought it was, based on what I’d read so far- my heart aches thinking of the ecological damage that’s going to do to that entire watershed and everything downstream…

Sorry for the extremely late reply @Navynuke99. After Florence had passed I headed to Huntsville AL and then to Foley work and “pleasure” related trip. I think our little part of the state was the only one NOT hit by Florence.

1 Like

And the season just keeps giving (and taking). I think it is moving so fast that the only day we’d be able to do evacuations would be today and my phone hasn’t rung yet.

2 Likes

1 Like

The convection is really taking off…once that wraps around…oh man…

One of the best guys for explaining these storms…been watching him the last couple of years and he has a great presentation…

2 Likes

That’s a great analysis Beach. Thanks for linking. Unfortunately, my wife is pushing back on any change of our plans. It’s probably going to take the sheriff driving down the street asking everyone to evacuate for her to leave, even though the highways will be clogged at that point.

I’m heading to the grocery store this morning to pickup bottled water and toilet paper, which I’ve learned from zombie apocalypse novels, is a most precious commodity.

1 Like

Eye is emerging. It is shaping up. Convection looks to be completely wrapped around the eye now too…

MICHAEL-01

1 Like

Probably folks in AL, the Panhandle, GA, and the Carolinas feel like it resembles a different anatomical orifice.

2 Likes

Well now it just seems downright inappropriate to comment on how tightly packed it’s getting

2 Likes