User drone videos...

Some video of Toxaway Falls with my Mavic Pro Platinum I took a few weeks ago…

7 Likes

That looks like an awesome place!

It sure is beautiful. The first scenes going up the waterfalls I wanted to take a cup and dip into it and take a long drink.

Gorgeous place! That was lovely to watch.

1 Like

Some drone pics (low res) of our house this morning…

Kings Pinnacle out back…

Hmm…not getting much solar power today… Time to get those leaves out of the pool too…

Nice to be able to check out the chimney cap to see if much creosote has built up on the vents. Been burning a lot of non-seasoned wood this winter and was worried it was starting to accumulate, but it looks pretty good thus far…

Birds eye view…

5 Likes

I neeeeed a drone…!
@Santa, you taking notes?

3 Likes

Your house is beautiful @BeachAV8R love the setting

1 Like

Thanks! We tried to get as far out of the city as we could. Buying a house on the border of a state park gives me a few extra thousand acres as a backyard…haha…

3 Likes

Shot this over two beach trips last year with the Phantom 3 Pro. It was before I began shooting in log and attempting any sort of advanced editing like color correction. The video is a little jerky because that was the limitation of the P3P’s little image sensor at 4K. Sort of a farewell, because I have upgraded to a Mavic 2 Pro. It’s also the last video that I create with only drone footage. They have become a little boring and IMO there must be at a minimum some non aerial B-roll to keep it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY6NhhitXao

3 Likes

7 Likes

Love to submit some low res pics, but not gonna happen. After sitting for a year, we got it out early this summer for a couple flights and all went well. Got a hour charge on it, son turned it on and off it went. We kept yelling at him to get control, but it was useless. We just stood in awe as it flew out of sight. Went from anger at my son to uncontrollable laughter while watching it disappear.

It sent a signal to the iphone so we could see what it sees, but it was out of range or just not working anymore. Daughter drove to neighborhood next to ours in the direction it went, but no luck. We still laugh about it today. Obviously it was on the cheap side or we wouldn’t be laughing, but man it was funny.

Some cool pics by the others.

2 Likes

What was “it”?

2 Likes

I have two suggestions for drone users (unless you would rather remain anonymous…haha…) and that would be to print your phone number on some of that sticky label tape and put it on your drone (I already have an FAA registration number on mine)…and also take a photo of your address/name and put it on the SD card as well, so that when people look at the photos they can find out where to send the drone (perhaps add a “reward offered” with the picture).

I had an interesting time flying my drone in Grand Cayman. The prevailing winds were pretty high and I wanted to fly my drone out to Stingray City. Unfortunately, from the nearest point of land to Stingray City (Starfish Point) is about a 3,000 meter flight downwind with the trades. I was getting constant wind velocity warnings with my Mavic but was able to do quite a bit of flying as long as I took some test runs at different altitudes. In some directions I’d be doing 22 mph while fighting back against the wind it might drop to a scary 3 or 4 mph. So you had to be aware of how far downwind you were going and conserve enough battery for the return leg.

Rum Point / Starfish Point to Stingray would have been easy enough to make, but the drone would have never made it back…

4 Likes

Something from Toys’R Us. Last minuted Xmas gift. I think was a lower end Sharper Image drone. Fun while it lasted, easy to fly.

It is also worth mentioning that I’m flying my Mavic in standard mode…I know there is a sport mode that will increase the maneuverability and perhaps give better speed to claw back against the wind, but I’ve never enabled it. I’d have to look to see how to do that…might be good to know how in a pinch.

I’d encourage drone users to submit comments during the 60 day comment period for the new proposed drone regulations. A long-ish read, but they basically want some sort of ADS-B type ability on all drones that aren’t exempt from the sub .55 pound exemption. I commented against it. Bad actors gonna bad act. These types of rules and monitoring basically just add cost to the hobby for no real gain for the responsible users that try to follow the rules.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/12/31/2019-28100/remote-identification-of-unmanned-aircraft-systems#open-comment

1 Like

Not my video, but extremely cool…!

3 Likes

Sigh…this is why we can’t have nice things…I hope this guy gets some prison time and some hefty fines…

https://youtu.be/sJbGkpo0uEA

1 Like

Ugh. People have no common sense.

1 Like