Varjo Aero VR headset

Indeed… I wonder where VR will be in 5 years?

2 Likes

From what [little] I know, that foveated thing sounds like the holy grail in the long run. Logically it makes sense. Maybe Gen 4 VR? Not sure, are we in Gen 3 with the Varjo kit?

1 Like

The Playstation VR 2 comes with some decent eye tracking, and very high resolution panels (probably more than the PS5 could muster) so the thinking/hope is that it becomes a common technology in the near term, so more obvious for OpenXR game implementers to put in. It is such a huge waste to render super-high PPI in people’s peripheral vision for sure.

On the PC side we sort of need Meta/Facebook/Oculus to do a Quest 3 or Quest 2 Pro that pushes it, depending on if they keep the PC link side going. Either that or a Tim Apple jumps on stage with a stylish white/chrome device and then Apple can finally ‘We Invented VR’ with this new tech. There’s also a slim chance Valve will condescend to get out of bed and release something, if they feel like it - but a lot of their hardware people are heads down on the Steam Deck release. Chip shortages aren’t helping new devices I guess.

1 Like

This is a bummer. It is such a common thing nowadays that I am sure they will bring it in sooner than later.

Can’t wait for @Troll’s review of the Varjo.

Mr Bean Reaction GIF

4 Likes

4 Likes

I would be ok without motion reprojection for a while, as I don’t have it enabled on either MSFS or DCS. The hardware itself (like the Reverb, Quest etc) might do something below native panel update rate as well (2DOF reprojection etc).

The proof will be in the pudding, with @Troll being the pudding in question. If he has a good time then that will be the reaction a lot of us are waiting for.

Go @Troll !

8 Likes

Just occurred to me: shouldn’t we get points for making Airplane, the movie, references in this forum? Hmmm, or should points be taken away? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hell of a day to stop sniffing glue…

7 Likes

I won’t let you guys down!

4 Likes

About reprojection…
Varjo Base software has got some interesting stuff, it seems.
Now, I won’t even try to pretend I understand this, but I’m looking forward to try it.

Vertical synchronization

When running performance-intensive applications, your framerate can fluctuate and cause graphical artefacts known as screen tearing. With the Vertical synchronization feature in Varjo Base, you can lower the framerate to improve performance and allow your application to run smoothly.

XR-3, VR-3, and Aero
Navigate to the Headset tab and Vertical synchronization to toggle the feature on or off.

Vertical synchronization is disabled by default. When enabled, Varjo Base will lower the framerate if necessary until your application is running smoothly.

XR-1 Developer Edition, VR-2 Pro, VR-2, and VR-1
Navigate to the Headset tab and Vertical synchronization to select a synchronization mode.

The default option is Adaptive synchronization, which makes a compromise between improved application performance and a lower framerate. Full synchronization lowers the framerate further to make sure that your application runs smoothly. Select Off to disable the feature completely.

Motion Prediction

The Motion Prediction feature in Varjo Base improves image quality by predicting and smoothing movement in applications. This can be helpful if, for instance, some objects in your application are moving erratically. Motion Prediction takes into account both the headset moving in relation to the scene and objects in the scene moving in relation to the headset.

To use Motion Prediction, navigate to the Headset tab and Motion Prediction .

The default option is Disabled , which disables the feature completely. Select Enabled if supported to apply Motion Prediction only for those applications that support it. Enabled will use Motion Prediction for all applications regardless of whether they support it or not. Note that in some cases, enabling the feature for applications that do not support it can cause unexpected visual effects.

We recommend that you try out the different options to find the one that works best for your application. Using Motion Prediction may introduce a small loss in performance.

4 Likes

I absolutely agree.

Shirley we should include Top gun references as well

4 Likes

Surely you won’t.
You’re dangerous.

4 Likes

You screw up this much and you’ll be flying a cargo plane full of VR headsets out of Hong Kong!

Don’t FedEx fly in the weekends…?

3 Likes

Troll be like…

move-your-arse

3 Likes

24/7 as of late 2000’s. No idea any more [about anything :slight_smile: ]

1 Like

The Aero is on its fifth day in Hong Kong…

cast away GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

3 Likes

Hopefully it’s spending its time constructively/wisely, in preparation :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looking good @Troll - I’m excited for you, so that’s 2nd hand excitement… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And I’m excited because my Aero is in country! But not so excited about the fact that FedEx send their packages in country, with the Norwegian Postal service, known for their glacier pace delivery speed…

3 Likes