Varjo Aero VR headset

You and I live in places where they could actually use the glaciers to deliver it, so I know what you mean. Canada Post offers a free time-capsule service, where you can send a parcel and future generations will receive it as a surprising look back in to a time long long ago… :wink:

I didn’t think of it before, but for MSFS it looks like it uses the SteamVR OpenXR UI interface, so the Varjo OpenXR driver under the SteamVR UI management (set VR resolution etc). A bit like how you can switch between the SteamVR or the WMR OpenXR on the WMR side.

6 Likes

I guess so… Seems like you can turn OpenXR compatibility on or off, in the Varjo Base software.

https://developer.varjo.com/docs/openxr/openxr

My Aero has been picked up by the Norwegian Postal Service and is expected to arrive on the 19th. Incidentally the first day of my vacation. A vacation I planned on using for moving to the new house. But since the buyers of our house takes over on the 1st of June, I have plenty of time to fix the things we want to upgrade in the new house, before moving in. Maybe I can squeeze in a day or two of Aero testing…? Well, I really must, don’t I? :wink:

9 Likes

Look what arrived!
A whole day early too…

Now the mandatory @BeachAV8R procrastinating time commences…

11 Likes

Ooooh!!! What are you going to try first?

Please make it an extensive 2 hour review with full CapFrameX logging and in-headset camera filming of Fruit Ninja - Melon Attack II.

Is the little box the Valve tracking doodah?

4 Likes

Tasting the boxes!

Indeed it is!

And it’s totally ruined!
Destroyed, I’m telling you…

Look at that horrible packaging damage! How did that pass QC…?

8 Likes

I think that’s just where Gabe takes a bite on the way out the door - nothing to worry about. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Do you know if he’s been vaccinated…?

5 Likes

Last I checked he was in a bunker, 200m below the surface, somewhere on South Island NZ. He’s going to come out in a couple of years looking like Brendan Fraser from Blast From The Past and asking ‘Is VR a thing yet?’. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Well, Valve added a complete multilingual dictionary on the box. Some light reading with the hors d’oeuvre…

3 Likes

noice! looking forward to your impressions of that ‘edge to edge’ vision clarity.

2 Likes

The pressure, @NEVO! The pressure… :wink:

Now, for the plat pricipal, or päärouka as they say in Finland…

happy minions GIF

Happy So Excited GIF

13 Likes

5 Likes

That’s a serious piece of kit you’ve got there Troll!

5 Likes

I think he’ll try DCS first. We should do wagers!

I would of course try Wings Over Flanders Fields first using a Anaglyph 3D red/green filter, using Opentrack piped through a taught wet string - because I reject later imitators as unpure.

I wonder if Varjo have their own ‘VR lobby’ loading construct thing, or if it goes into SteamVR house? That Steam place is pretty nice as a first try out of the clarity, plus the tracking intro needs to be done as well (the outline cartoon guys, it’s nice).

5 Likes

Ryan Gosling Reaction GIF

5 Likes

No time for laughing - pop that puppy on your head and let’s go! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

lets-go-the-rock

5 Likes

Look… I’m off duty for three weeks now. I’m supposed to do some odd jobs in the new house, but Mrs. Microbiology leaves for a conference on thursday and friday. That’s my window!
I feel I should compare the Aero to the G2. How do I test the FoV and relative clarity, in a more scientific way than

music video 90s GIF

3 Likes

To not answer your question at all, I would just play a few things and then give your impression - that will count for a lot on how it ‘feels’. That’s what I’m looking forward to.

To now answer your question :slight_smile: I would personally (and I’m not claiming to be normal here) would use the OpenVR compatibility mode and then use this SteamVR environment for a before / after

That will give you good sciency-ish FOV and clarity comparisons.

5 Likes