Viggen

I’m a bit frustrated with the Viggen at the moment. I have done the start-up tutorial many times, despite unfortunately finding the instructor’s voice a bit irritating (TTS?) and made a start-up checklist based on it, but for some reason when I try it in my own missions, it just doesn’t work. The engines don’t start.

It’s one thing when I find something that I missed or whatever, but I can see no difference between what I do and what is advised in the tutorial. Weirdness.

My start-up:

http://www.virtual-pilot.org.uk/content/guides+ref/content/viggen-startup.htm

PS - Okay, after posting above message I went and did the cold start mission at NTTR and it worked just fine - though I did forget two steps in that start-up guide, arming the ejector seat and closing the canopy! Better go and fix that right away! :blush:

On a slightly different note … has anyone had any success in exporting the viggen radar to a second monitor … there is a post about how to do it over at ED but I just cant get the damn thing to work … (just had to rebuild the radar files from a back up for the third time… I have managed to get just about every other planes screens exported … just the viggen is driving me mad :dizzy_face:

You ready to wreck in the viggen yet?

I’m ready Muuuwahahahahahah

lets do it!!! when you ready?

Yes - but I think our time zones are bit squiff, so will have to be on a weekend, I think.

My ready times are approx 09:00 to 11:30z daily except Saturday.

13:30 to 17:00z every day.

18:30 to 22:30-ish (can go later on occasion, but max midnite) every day except some Thursdays and Fridays.

All times zulu.

btw guys, I can run a server for 1.5 from my 2nd PC - but for 2.1 it would have to be from my gaming rig (do have a good spec and 74MB/s FTTC connection, though)

OK - I’ll set up my 2nd PC for hosting and get as many Viggen missions as I can find on it. If I can’t find too many, I’ll make some myself - but they won’t be complicated stuff, scripting looks like an invitation to a headache for me. But I can put down some flight paths and targets, air defences etc - null problemo.

Then I’ll just post and/or jump on TS when it’s running. I’ll run it most evenings (zulu) this week, at least for a couple of hours to see if anyone is available, and then I’ll run it next weekend so we can maybe coincide with “play time” over the pond.

pw will be mudfox

Meantime - watch the vids :slight_smile:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=188167

I saw this mission but havent had a chance to give it a throw yet … LINK

Edit just gave it a go and is very good tried a viggen antiship mission

I’ll join in.

I’ve flown in TTI quite a few times - was my ‘go to’ mission a couple of months back. It’s very useful for learning airframes.

Unfortunately, I have recently put Vista Home 64 on my 2nd PC, due to the whole MS accusing me of having a dodgy Win 7 thing - and 1.5 won’t install onto Vista.

I’ll get it sorted, one way or another.

Okay, almost ready to go - just need to do some testing. Got a couple of Viggen co-op missions in and ready to try, in addition to TTI and so on.

If I’ve set up my port forwarding correctly (and all I had to do was change the network IP) it should be fine.

Might need someone to check they can see it on the list, though.

whats the name of the server

Viggen school

Hmmm, at the start - just after joining (over the network, of course), things are a little choppy and take a couple of minutes to settle down. Several times I thought it had crashed, but in the end it turned out okay.

The server rig is a good spec - just a couple of months ago it was my main gaming rig, now the only thing it has on it is DCS World, and that has the graphics disabled ot make sure the server performance is good.

Unfortunately, it turns out the mission I was trying to use is SP only - so I’ve loaded up the MP “Ship Strike” mission.

I’ll shut it down shortly and tomorrow I will make a couple of missions myself, so that we can do what we wanted to and basically learn the aircraft without any pressure to get things hit ASAP. Say a couple of flights of Viggens, with some ground targets in various locations and different flight plans for each target.

Then a separate mission with sea targets and the same sort of approach. That way, if we want to just do some nav training or whatever, we can.

Of course, we could also head off and join the TTI server!

sorry would have checked sooner but got called to do the “dad taxi thing” … but sounds good to me

No worries - I’m doing a ground attack mission to start with. There won’t be any “success” or whatever, as I don’t know how to do that as yet, but here is a couple of screenshots so far.

This is the base layout:

…and this is the flight plan I have started off with, following the river for a low-level attack on the Smerch platoons.

The Zu-23 emplacement is within range, but if we do the Viggen thing and fly in fast and low, the built up area in between should give cover. The main target is the Smerch batteries, with the radar and command centres being the secondary.

After hitting the target, it’s exfil out to sea and recover to Kobuleti for rearm etc.

I have yet to add the exact flight details in the editor, but I’ll get on with that tomorrow. After this, I’ll do an anti-ship one.

looking forward to trying that out :slightly_smiling_face:

Okay, maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea to keep the same sort of flight plan and use it for the various tasks.

I was thinking, perhaps first off doing it as a NavEx, and putting in a road landing somewhere, with refuelling etc - as per this:

and then maybe a ship at waypoint 6 - just for nav systems practice,

Then use it for the previously mentioned attack on the Smerch battery (rockets?) followed by a precision attack on the HQ and/or radar.

Then a strike on the ship at WP6.

That’s 4 different missions and at least 3 different weapon systems. Would be easy to either add more of the present units as targets to use other weapons, too.

I’ll fly it a few times later today and check it out. The road along the coast in GG24 looks a good candidate for landing (long and straight!), but I’ll look for any other possibilities inland.

Not a bad idea… You can just change the attack way point in the nav before system starting whichever mission you are doing… Also we can work out the qfe numbers for the various targets beforehand