Vive Pro 2

Ok, so this seems to be an advancement in the VR space. Now all I need is a GPU to run it.
Not cheap, and doesn’t include base stations & controllers (which I never use anyway).

1 Like

You’d need at least one base station just for head tracking, as it uses lighthouse for that as well. If you’ve got no Valve gear already to reuse then it’s going to be $1000+ USD to get going. :expressionless:

Still, 5K, 120° FOV, 120Hz refresh, in-built hardware compression, it’s looking quite a good fit for simmers with money.

2 Likes

And with at least $3500 US for a 3090 series GPU.

4 Likes

You just made me LOL. Thank you kind sir.

Ah yeah! An upgrade (which I convinced myself I needed a few months ago – my rig is 4+ years old) for the same relative performance (from 4 years ago) would be around $6000 US:

GPU, new VR headset, mobo…eeesh. That’s why I’m waiting. I have all but the Mobo and GPU at least already, gathering dust. They may have finally priced me out of this hobby. Maybe.

1 Like

Anyone genuinely interested?

Personally I think I will stick with my G2 for the moment, also because of my hardware being just OK for the G2.
But it is good to see the industry is pushing forward.

2 Likes

I’m interested, but like a lot of others I suspect, wanted to time it with a new GPU. Until I can get one of those without overpaying then I’m in a holding pattern upgrade-wise.

4 Likes

I am . My Rift S will be dead to me the end of the year , and my pc should be able to support any headset option (short of 8k)
Will be closely watching reviews and making a decision (Pro , Index , G2 , possibly Pico) in Dec .

1 Like

Of course I’m interested!
But my G2 is pushing my old 1080TI beyond its limits already…
So like Mr. @fearlessfrog, I will try to upgrade my GPU first.

And I’m spoiled by the inside out tracking of the RiftS and G2, so the VP2 will have to be pretty convincing otherwise, for me to mount lighthouses on my SimBox.

Lighthouse has much greater stability and tracking accuracy compare to any inside out (it’s just the nature of the tech, not a knock on WMR/Oculus). The downside was found to be that people don’t want to have a permanent set-up as they often don’t have a ‘vr space’ to use. With your SimBox aren’t you in a good place to be able to do that? You could probably hack together some amazing peripheral tracking with the small pucks as well.

1 Like

Well, I had a pretty elaborate folding arm system for my Rift CV1 sensors.

So I guess I could mount a lighthouse somewhere on that lid… And, if I understand correctly, the lighthouse is just a passive IR lightsource that the headset needs to “see” and that it just needs power. So I suppose that lighthouse could be permanently mounted somewhere in the room, not on the SimBox…?

1 Like

Yes, they have good range. They just need power (if you have several they need to be sync’d), but are a time encoded spinning laser beam of Valve brain melting energy!

2 Likes

One would be enough for sit-down cockpit VR, right?

Yes, for sit down and largely facing in one direction then one is ok. It’s strength is really with larger volume spaces, but the Lighthouse 2 tech (which everything now uses) is very steady and accurate.

2 Likes

Hm… Ok, I may just have to admit that technology has marched on forwards in this field too. (Who would’ve thought?).
I just remember the relative freedom of getting rid of the Oculus sensors, when I got the RiftS. The lighthouse solution does seem easier to use and less finicky.

1 Like

One fun idea (I don’t have the hardware skills for it) is if you ever did go the lighthouse way then you’d be able to mark your cockpit with a cheap tracker, something like this:

You could then put on your headset and see yourself climbing into the actual aircraft you have up in VR. Sort of like the first 10 seconds of this, but with millimeter accuracy for physical controls placement in your pit : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mpZrsrX-Cw

I know you like to build things and it might be fun to play around with one day. I can watch. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha! Awesome…!
I wonder if I can use this to bail out too? :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, just do the WWII side door bailout and roll onto the floor sidewise screaming… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Dammit, @fearlessfrog! You’re making me want SteamVR tracking now… :wink:

1 Like

Out of all of them, they are the most hackable. The designs and CAD files are creative commons here:

1 Like