VKB T-Rudder Mk III

Originally published at: http://www.mudspike.com/vkb-t-rudder-mk-iii/
Although the HOTAS takes center stage when it comes to the home cockpit, rudder pedals are an understated and absolutely essential item for a fully immersive flight simulation experience. I won’t go so far as to say you can’t enjoy a good virtual flight with a twist-stick, but you sure will be missing out some of the…

2 Likes

Super job on that review EP… Like you, I have a deep appreciation for quality made stuff…and metal often (not always) exudes quality. Looks like some nice engineering there. I was this – close to needing new pedals a few months ago but cleaned out my current ones and they are holding up. This is definitely something to consider for the near future… (I’m off to go try to break my current set…lol…)

Nice job!

BeachAV8R

Thanks, @BeachAV8R!

BTW, @Stratojet has contacted me about some upcoming exciting news from VKB/Stratojet, so I’ll be working an interview with them to get some more information. Stay tuned!

I was also informed about an upcoming Virtual Toe Brake feature that should help improve the ground handling aspect for some aircraft. Very much looking forward to checking that out as well!

Hi,

I am using a T-Rudder Mk.II since March, 2015 and like very much this product, specially his vertical movement, less tiresome to use.
The only issue is a annoying “squelch” on spring distension, I think a rubber grommet on spring hooks help, but don’t try until now.

Some comments about the article.

IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad Luftwaffe planes, and the new P-40 use “toe brakes” as should.

But since this game is oriented for “new players” with these “3in1” sticks with twist rudder without 'toes brakes" the Russian (British) differential brakes - press the wheel brakes button/axis and the move the rudder for brake right on left wheel only work too in il-2:BoS Luftwaffe (and P-40) planes - besides the “toe brakes”. :wink: A wise developers decision.

For DCS P-51, Bf 109 K-4, Fw 190 D-9 I use a special feature of VKB configuration software (available in his FTP) called Axis2Button: dividing the axis rudder in three bands and assign each for buttons 1, 2, 3.

http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/

VKB Configuration software store the config settings in controller (Tiny Box) EEPROM.

In DCS set button 1 and 3 for left and right brakes, so now I can brake with rudder. :wink:
A reasonable workaround:

A “hidden” feature: T-Rudder CAM center system has two position, the default one and a “soft” center more suitable for helicopter flights, this position is set inverting the CAM position, picture there:

EDIT - And the spring tension have two positions too:

http://vkb-sim.pro/T-Rudder-MkIII/index.php

Sokol1

3 Likes

Nice feedback, @1lokos, thanks!

I’ve had my MKIII for about a week, and it’s really made flying the Huey a lot more fun. I’d been using a CH Throttle thumbstick for rudder, and it was very imprecise. The action with the T-Rudder is so much better. I actually think carefully about the rudder movement now because I know it’s something under my control – not more-or-less under my control, but fully.

I don’t mind the missing toe brakes. I don’t spend a lot of time taxiing the big boys, so it’s not an important part of my fun. The rudder’s cleared up the thumb stick axis for brakes – those return-to-zero axes aren’t good for much anyway(?) – so I feel the T-Rudder has improved my braking capability, even if it doesn’t have toe brakes itself. .

I’m going to challenge you on the price point. Saitek’s Pro Combat Pedals are about $180. They have exactly the same internals as their $150 Pro Pedals; and from reviews, it’s a highly serviceable piece of junk. They are made mostly of plastic; plenty of reviews complain about breaking it, or needing to take it apart to fix. For an extra $20-$50 I could get an all-metal, quality piece of equipment, one that will hold it’s value if I ever need to sell it? It’s a no brainer. The MFG Crosswinds, on the other hand, is a whole-number multiple more expensive than the Saiteks, so I couldn’t justify getting that. In fact, I would have a Saitek now, but everyone’s out of stock, so I had time to find the VKB.

If anyone has doubts about how the VKB function, there this great review of the VKB’s response on a chart:

Different pilots flying different planes are going to have different experiences; this simple chart illustrates the quality of the t-rudder quite well. I mean, those are damn near perfect sine waves!

Do you have a link to the unadvertised feature of removing the detente? I like to futz. And the action on the rudders is so light, it actually is noticeable. It helps for me to be aware that I’m “in the middle” when I get there, and I don’t like to think in terms of “middle”, “center” or “any kind of stability at all” when I’m flying a helicopter.

Thanks for the review!

1 Like

Great feedback, @median, glad to hear you’re enjoying the pedals! There are truly a great controller. You’re absolutely right about the toe brakes - there are a lot of flying configurations where toe brakes just aren’t needed, or workarounds are not that immersion-killing.

I’ll have to dredge up that link regarding the detent conversion, but I’m sure @Stratojet can point us in the right direction.

© 2019 Mudspike.com | Articles Website | Forums Rules & FAQ