VR Freebies and Demos Showcase

Just gonna throw on some of my favorite VR Freebies and Demos for those who might otherwise might not have encountered them

1976 - Back to midway (Demo)

STEAM

Are you ready to travel back in time to 1943 and relive the excitement of classic arcade dogfights? Now, thanks to Virtual Reality, you’re about to discover a new level of immersion and spectacularity, while retaining the original essence and fun.

5 Likes

NVIDIA® VR Funhouse

FREE

Step right up to VR Funhouse and enter a virtual carnival full of fun and games. Be an archer with flaming arrows. Test your skill shooting skeet targets blasted from a cannon. See how many moles you can punch, whack, and much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGDtvmuMfkM

2 Likes

FREE

2 Likes

DEMO

Rapid Fire is an arcade shooter game based on virtual reality. Become a gunman in the west, avoid bullets coming from all directions, avoid civilians who run away from the villains through precise aiming, and eliminate the villains. Shoot with a revolver, shoot with a shotgun, sweep enemies with a machine gun and prove your skills on the leaderboard.

2 Likes

FREE

Take a guided journey through the amazing TRAPPIST-1 star system, known to be the home of 7 Earth-size exoplanets orbiting a star that is only a little larger than Jupiter. This experience is based on the best current scientific understanding of what these worlds could be like given their sizes, densities, and proximity to their star.

This experience was developed by the Communications and Education group at Caltech/IPAC and has been released in conjunction with the 15th anniversary of NASA’s Spitzer Space Telescope mission. Spitzer, along with a number of other observatories on Earth and in Space, has contributed to our understanding of the TRAPPIST-1 system. NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory manages the Spitzer Space Telescope mission for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate. Science operations are conducted at the Spitzer Science Center at Caltech.

2 Likes

Wolves in the Walls

FREE

Not everything is as it seems, when 8-year old Lucy’s imagination proves to be a reality.

Based on the work by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean, this immersive-fable asks: What would it be like to interact, have a relationship, and go on a quest with a character inside a VR movie?

2 Likes

“The Lab” on Steam is also good.
(Basically the Steam VR demo app)

Edit: and “Aircar” (also Steam)

Edit: and “VR Flush” (also Steam)

1 Like

They are on my radar, but I figured I had done enough for today, and also wanted to see if the thread got a good or bad reception.

2 Likes

We have seen a few of them posted in the general VR thread, but that one is a monster.
I like your idea to have a thread with only the free stuff for everyone to enjoy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

DEMO

Personal note: This is the real deal!! If you want a VR coaster, this is the absolute best!!

This is the demo version of NoLimits 2, the ultimate roller coaster simulation that lets you experience authentic roller coaster thrills. Climb into the world’s most famous roller coasters and experience the excitement in real time. Or design a new roller coaster that is engineered to your specifications.

2 Likes

FREE

A simple immersive flying game built for VR. Pilot an aircar through a futuristic cityscape.

3 Likes

FREE

2 Likes

Oh dear. I am not sure if I want to try that…

2 Likes

Hahahahahah!!!

1 Like

FREE

In September 1943, a BBC reporter boarded a plane on an allied bombing raid over Berlin. The incredible recording he returned with forms the basis of this breathtaking experience by BBC Northern Ireland and Immersive VR Education, putting you inside a Lancaster bomber as it navigates a most dangerous journey.

2 Likes

FREE

1 Like

FREE

Welcome to this special free edition of Project CARS, featuring a select group of Pagani vehicles and three locations to drive them at.

‘Project CARS – Pagani Edition’ Features the Pagani Huayra, Huayra BC, Zonda Cinque, Zonda R, and Zonda Revolucion, and three intricately modeled tracks — the Nürburgring and Nordschleife combo, Monza GP, and Azure Coast — along with two game modes, and full VR support on both Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, as well as support for 4K screens and traditional displays.

This free, PC-only game has been built around the market-leading Project CARS simulation, and is the result of a unique collaboration with legendary Italian car-maker Pagani Automobili.

Designed to showcase both the very best examples of Pagani’s eponymous supercars along with the world-class technology that underpins the best-selling Project CARS simulation, ‘Project CARS – Pagani Edition’ is an invitation to encounter the digital integration of high-octane hypercars with cutting-edge racing-game technology.

https://youtu.be/4yprlkm9VSc

1 Like

FREE

1 Like

Talking of free VR car racing reminded me, Live for Speed has a nice VR mode and the base is free to play, with single player against AI or MP:

It’s been years since I played it, but the performance and feel in VR was great. I’ll try to check it out later to see if the VR support is still there or not (I think it is on a quick peek in their forum).

2 Likes

FREE

Step aboard the USS Orville (ECV-197), the Planetary Union’s finest mid-level exploratory class cruiser. With every room on every deck recreated with painstaking accuracy you are free to explore the weirdest ship in the fleet at your leisure, either alone or with friends in multiplayer.

Current Features:

• Freely explore the ship in both first and third person.

• Sit at the helm and take the ship for a spin. Why not try and see if you too can “hug the donkey”?

• Jump into multiplayer with a few friends. Pick up a longbow and test out your marksmanship. See who can hold the bridge the longest!

• Character customisation. Be who you want to be! (WIP additional races and species are currently in development).

• Randomly synthesise a few nick-knacks at any of the ship’s matter synthesizers. Pick them up and place them freely. Why not give Bortus and Clyden’s quarters a quick spruce up?

• Take in the breathtaking views out of the Mess Hall windows of the Planetary Union Dockyard in Earth orbit.

• Send the ship into disarray with a variety of different alert modes, each changing the ambience throughout the ship. Find the one that best suits your mood. Or perhaps you’ve just got the urge to party like a Moclan?

• Completely original score with undertones and themes from the show by the legendary Patrick Phillips.

• Multiplayer in-game text-based chat. All in aid of the great Orville community spirit.

• Wander down to the Shuttle Bay and take a shuttle out for a joyride.