VR Freebies and Demos Showcase

Unfortunately, just like the VorpX VR’d version, I get too sick playing HL2 in VR. I thought I might be okay until I got outside the station, then it was puke city rather than 17.

I really wanted to not be sick for this - it’s such an awesome game. I’m fine with Alyx - but I use teleporting for that. I normally don’t like teleporting in FPS but it doesn’t bother me in Alyx. If only they could put it in HL2 VR mod. Mind you, I was so chuffed with the excellent Doom 3 VR mod, but again, get sick after 10 minutes or so - but I didn’t like the teleporting in that, so found myself playing for about 5 minutes each time! Not ideal.

1 Like

Interesting.

Do you think this is specifically HL2 related?

I have got the HL2 + vorpx lined up next once I am done with Portal 1 & 2 (which works great in vorpx).

I never felt sick with vorpx VR implementation so I am just curious.

Thanks

Well I usually get sick with normal locomotion in any FPS and some others, but with Half-Life 2 it happens a lot quicker and worse than others. No idea why.

I’m not too bad with SkyrimVR - I used to get sick mostly in dark scenes when playing on CV1, now I seem to be fine with the higher resolution Pico 4, where I also get excellent performance (since using the 4080). But I don’t risk playing for too long - no more than ½ to 1 hour, which is already long for me and that type of game, which just shows how much better I get on with it.

1 Like

Vr sickness still seems to be a mystery topic, with possible but apparently not concrete explanations for exactly what causes it.

I’m one of the fortunate that seems not to have a trace of it, and believe me, I’ve deliberately swooped and dived and otherwise acted in ways the literature says should cause me to hurl like a shot-putter.

Nada. (except after prolonged exposure to Hellblade, for some unknown reason)

On the other hand, I have had visitors pretty much turn green within seconds of putting on the headset, and be violently ill for the rest of the day.

Very mysterious.

Edit: And so far, I’ve never heard of a single child, getting sick…

I have zero issues with flying, space or driving games (except ETS2) in VR - whether native VR or desktop 2D-VR. When docking in Elite-D I regularly spin the ship all over the joint to get a perfect touchdown and it doesn’t bother me in the slightest - in fact it’s fun!

I have a feeling it’s about a couple of things but needs the right mix - resolution and light. Darker and lower res scenes are a real problem - there’s an older Oculus game I had never tried and gave it a look last year - Dreadhalls. Even in Quest 2 (it was made for Rift CV1) it made me feel sick in a matter of minutes. It’s darker than your average game and the res isn’great, either.

In SkyrimVR with Rift CV1, I got mostly sick in dungeons or dark caves. I was fine in light areas or outside.

Here’s something to ponder - GRAW/2 on a monitor has made me feel sick quite a few times, that’s why I’ve never completed either one. Did it back when I was playing on a CRT and still did it after the change to LED.

Well, this is almost suspiciously Timely, and appeared on my Newsfeed today.

3 Likes

I think in my case it was to do with a biological change. In the pre-“disability” days I could ride anything on the fairground, peer down any heights (I used to love abseiling off autobahn bridges) and do any number of other things often associated with nausea and have zero issues.

One other thing that became suspect - wearing spectacles. The first time I noticed any kind of vertigo - when I was on the roof of our house fitting a new TV antenna - was when I had got my first set of spec’s. At the time I straight away considered it to be a side effect of wearing them, but wasn’t too bothered. Then I got sick going on a simple merry-go-round kind of ride at Wadders airshow. Then I knew things had changed permanently.

I reckon this VR experience is just a result of that, after many years - I do have prescription lenses fitted in all of my headsets, but even if I didn’t, I reckon I’ve used them for so long - since 2004 - that it wouldn’t make a difference. However, that thought has got me curious and I’ll try some without specs.

I also find that if I stand when in VR playing a game that makes me nauseous, I can stand it for longer or it’s not as bad. Problem is, standing is bad for my poor spine/nervous system/legs! If I stand for more than a few minutes my legs start to go numb and when I try to move I fall over! :laughing:
That’s why I’m constantly moving when I play In Death.

PS - when I read the “vertical lines” bit it made me think of Index and the vertical scan lines thing - but not related.

1 Like

Interesting. I too find that I get a headache after playing any non-flying game in VR after awhile. I can get a headache flying VR too. It just takes considerably longer.

I’m often tempted to try and desensitize myself to VR, but I’m secretly afraid that I might be disabling some of my seat of the pants that I use when actually flying, which would be bad I think…at least on some level.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry - I find that seat of the pants gut instinct natural talent type stuff never goes away. I had some worries myself, but surprised myself a few times with what remained in the old brainbox, subconsciously, as well as how quickly it was able to get my limbs moving in the right way despite other impediments.

1 Like

Ok, this is a repost of a Freebie I linked here back in 2021, and it remains the scariest thing I’ve ever played in VR, with people legit screaming their heads off, when I strap them into the headset and the… Fun… begins.

I’m breaking with policy here, and posting this re-up, and then a heads-up about the recent release of a non-free sequel to this title, which I think may appeal to anyone that liked the original free game.

Take a look!

1 Like

And something I’ve neglected for too long: X-plane 12 Demo (Yes, with VR!)

1 Like

I didn’t find any information about what limitations are in place for this demo… Would like to try it though.

This comes packaged with most of the content of X-Plane 12 minus most of the scenery and it has a 15 minute time limit per flight . Enough to get a taste of things before you buy.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a good thing. Thanks!

DEMO (Link on Steam Store Page)

Pretty wild. Watch that heart rate! (Also, must like hard rock music!!)

1 Like

FREE Need to have sidequest capability!

DEMO

Welp, seems Oculus Store is blocking me from using apps now since My Motion Sensor broke, lol.

Wait… Motion sensor? Are you using an original RIFT?

yup