VR News (2022)

Nice! Their setup reminds me of my setup … I have the same VR headset and the same size monitor. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love this stuff for sure but my only worry is the bean-counters will get carried away: time actually in the air (doing the ‘thing’, no matter what the thing is) can’t be replaced.

3 Likes

I can’t believe this happened … after my ISP convinced me to upgrade to a newer modem (Rogers Ignite), I saw my Virtual Desktop streaming bandwidth go to 1200 Mbps! Things indeed seemed very smooth looking at my virtual desktop but SteamVR isn’t playing nice with it any more … stuttering and glitching. Weird. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Anyway, here’s some good news for Pavlov fans who want to run it standalone on their Quest 2 … it’s called Pavlov Shack and apparently it’s been in beta for a couple years now! (I had no idea)

It’s still in beta and it’s free for the time being …

You can get it here …

I just tried it and it looks like a graphically dumbed down version of Pavlov but it looks like all the content is still there. Of course playing Pavlov over Virtual Desktop looks WAY better! Also, I hear there are a bunch of 8 year olds screaming obscenities trying to PWN you in the Shack version of multiplayer. :smiley:

1 Like

I am SO STOKED! My ISP gave me a new modem which is great but I think the native WiFi capability is actually TOO FAST for my Oculus Quest 2 to Virtual Desktop symbiosis!

Tonight I decided to wire up my old Netgear Extender to it as a WiFi access point side by side and all is well in Elbyville! 5 GHz WiFi is back down to 866 Mbps from 1200 Mbps in Virtual Desktop and Steam VR is once again playing REALLY nice. :+1:

If any of you have any questions about the Oculus Quest 2, hit me up. I’ve been through the wringer at this point.

3 Likes

My airline is going VR! Initially it will just be one fleet, the 737, and only a beta group within that fleet. I have no idea if this will be “VR” as we know it or just a repurposing of the term to make normal PC-based training sound more interesting.

6 Likes

Yeah, I roll my eyes every time a new ‘tech’ thing comes out; how anybody and everybody incorporates the term into their lexicon. “Digital” this-and-that was the one I recall from, oh, the 90’s was it.

And: “In The Cloud”. Translation: “we keep data on a computer disk somewhere and access it remotely” [like has been done for decades already].

Then “AI”, etc.

If they have hand tracking then that should be more better too I’d imagine? I wonder if, over time, assuming it is VR as we know it, if it slowly becomes just as expensive as a full-blown ‘analog’ simulator (Level-X).

When CBT, Computer Based Training, was quite literally just watching a movie on a computer :grin:

3 Likes

Pimax Crystal through The Lens…early L :eyes:K
https://community.openmr.ai/t/crystal-through-the-lens/39174

1 Like

I was listening to the JRE interview Mark Zuckerberg today. Right at the start of the podcast they were discussing Meta’s new VR headset. Joe got a chance to try it out. They didn’t even have a name for it and I was like, what the heck are they talking about? Mark was saying it’s dropping in October (hopefully 2022) :slight_smile:

If you want a good podcast to fall asleep to, this is a good candidate ha ha!

BTW, I just finished setting up my Meta account to use my Quest 2. You don’t need to be on Facebook any more. They still want ALL your data tho LOL!

2 Likes

They can call it whatever they want . It’s still Facebook . For my part , no thank you very much .

But having already made the purchase , i hope it works out well for you .

1 Like

“For me this more about, like, helping people connect.”

You pathetic, arrogant, plutocratic fool! People connect by getting together. They smile by smiling, flirt by flirting, hide by hiding. What kind of world do you, you twisted little humanoid, want to create? So many billions are spent to recreate meaningful interactions by avatar, but no one in my world is asking for any of this. It’s the cloistered ultra-wealthy who see beauty in a digitized, automated society of physical loners. Good gods! I COULD. NOT. HAVE. less respect for another living being!

But I want that damn headset!

7 Likes

You’re a poet @smokinhole. :blush:

I still love my Quest 2 and I want that damn headset too lol! My HP G2 is sitting here on my desk collecting dust … piece of crap with wires lol! :wink:

1 Like

I didn’t watch the video, but I am really interested in the headset. The Meta/Oculus experience is so much better than that with WMR. It just works. And I disconnected my FB account last night from Meta. So as long as Zuckerberg keeps writing the checks, I don’t really care about his grand vision.

2 Likes

Only $1499! I’ll take two please.

Meta Quest Pro: Our Most Advanced New VR Headset | Meta Store | Meta Store

2 Likes

This YT was interesting in a DCS-kinda-way. He didn’t actually test DCS on the 4090 (to early) but based on my experience (recent nVidia GPU upgrade: 1080 - 3080Ti), in VR, his logic seems sound - expect at most a 25% FPS increase. I’ll be keeping my 3080Ti for a while at the MSRP of of this new one.

Why isn’t DCS a benchmark game? JK…I know why

1 Like

YIKES! …

1 Like

Could this be the end of the Dark Empire or just the start of a new more powerful entity?
Tune in next week to find out! :wink:

Wheels

1 Like

question for the VR users here… is OpenXR any improvement over the standard Oculus software

1 Like

umm I think you do not need open xr with Occulus gear?? I thought it was mostly for WMR Headsets I could be wrong…

But I hear the Oculus works well with DCS…

Did anyone see the Pimax Crystal Launch video? I want but I am too poor!! :frowning:

Just need 4 RTX4090s in Explicit GPU Pool Mode_0 to run it. :slight_smile:

1 Like