VR News

Has anyone looked at/compared the weights of all 3 of the new sets? (Rift S, Index and Reflex) I only ask as I originally purchased a Vive and on a whim purchased the Rift and quickly realized just how much more comfortable the Rift was to wear longer term because it was so much lighter.

A quick search gives:
Rift S 563g
HP Reverb 500g.

Couldn’t find a weight for the Index.

The Rift S has a halo which, I’m guessing, weighs more than the head bands of the Reverb. So The weight of the display units is probably similar…

I would believe that the way the halo/band/strap attach to your noggin, is probably more important to the over all comfort. And here’s where I think the Reverb will be the winner, as it has a very similar setup as the OG Rift. I am glad they put the top center band on the halo of the Rift S though. That should improve the comfort.

But then it also comes down to the shape of your head, and personal preference.

Actually , that is very similar to the advice i generally give :slight_smile: In this case , as it impacts headset upgrade choice , i’m gonna wait .
In any event it doesn’t sound like it will be much longer as Nineline indicates that ALL maps are currently in internal testing . With luck , the optimisation will come roughly at the same time as headset reviews , so i’m feeling much better :sunny:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m really interested in that performance increase. I imagine that it’s hardware dependent. Some CPU/RAM/GPU combos will probably see a bigger increase than others. Wags eyeballes roughly 50% increase, and he’s got a rather high performance PC, from what I remember.

1 Like

A brief overview of the Rift S. That passthrough feature looks like it could be usefull. Wonder if it somehow can be bound to a HOTAS button…
Oculus Rift S Setup, Unboxing & Tips

1 Like

Good dual review of Rift S and HP Reverb from Ars Technica

Some strong opinions on the Rift S:

Get this system down to $250, Oculus, and you’ll have a no-brainer add-on for any older gaming PC. Otherwise, the cheapness and trade-offs are a bit too severe for anybody willing to swallow down Windows Mixed Reality’s limitations (mostly with hand-tracking) and consider another option: the comfortable, high-res, OLED-fueled Samsung Odyssey, currently selling in the $400-ish price range as a complete kit.

Not sure I completely agree with that, as I’m not 100% convinced the O+ is a worthwhile upgrade over the Rift for $400, especially since the shape of head / fit plus the WMR stuff is worth the compromise. Still @PaulRix does have one for sale less than $300 here so possible bargain if it works for you.

HP Reverb gets a similarly critical review for general rather than just sim’ing VR:

On the other end of the spectrum, I really want to like the HP Reverb, but it mostly confirms my suspicions that such a high VR resolution at such a low price really is too good to be true. Anybody looking to get a fleet of enterprise-caliber headsets should certainly put a Reverb on and see if their specific use case fits into its compromises—because, truly, I think some VR use cases are perfect candidates for Reverb’s compromises. That’s a lot of value on a high-resolution basis alone. But I just can’t suggest the Reverb as an across-the-board VR headset—especially just one month before the launch of the LCD-fueled, 120Hz Valve Index.

Looks a definite ‘try before you buy’ or ‘buy from where you can send back’ set of red flags all over that.

4 Likes

I got the inpression that the reviewer didn’t want to like either of the headsets…?
Almost as if he is comparing them to what he thinks a VR headset should be, or what he hopes the Index will be.
Don’t know. I get a strange vibe…
I mean, of course both headsets will have their limitations…

Still the best advice when it comes to anything VR.
Easier said than done, in some parts of the world, but definitely the way to do it, if possible.

1 Like

The Valve Index is still under review NDA, so he might have reviewed it but is sort of talking in this strange way because they can’t wait to get a Rift S and HP R review out.

I agree there was an odd vibe, in that he talked about pro color profiles and lots of tech details, but then didn’t put much weight to the extra cameras and better tracking of the Rift S. Inconsistent is what it felt like.

It was a bit infuriating to see his complete disregard for flight and drive VR sims as well, in that he wrote stuff like this:

Reverb’s “sweet spot” visibility, in the center of a user’s field of vision (FOV), is the absolute winner in its price sector. After roughly one week of Reverb testing, I’m now convinced that this is the pixel count to count as “good enough” if you want to guarantee unobtrusive small-text legibility for the sake of VR’s research, education, and industrial design apps. (In Reverb’s case, this selling point is buoyed by the LCD panels’ dense subpixel resolution and 90Hz refresh.)

…and I’m shouting ‘Hey, what about the sims!!’. I know we are a niche within a niche but a lot of high-end GPU’s and VR stuff is bought by us VR sim people, he could have at least acknowledged this, or commented on it.

2 Likes

No, you’re just going to have to delid that i5 ASAP and shoot your own video: “Sims & VR with Frog: An Edutainment Series” about all the various considerations an potentials of each headset to suit them. Brought to you in part by MudSpike.com

3 Likes

Ah…! That could very well be the reason.

Yes!
The PC game genre that benefits most from VR, are simulations! Maybe I’m biased, but when I dreamed about VR headsets, I dreamed about flightsims, not Luckys Tale… :wink:

1 Like

Yeah…it was an interesting review to read if not wholly satisfying. I get a little frustrated by the comments about peripheral vision blurriness simply because I’m not sure that there is any solution to that without foveated rendering. I mean, as an experiment, just look at this webpage on a monitor and realize your eyes are moving constantly to read…so in VR it only make sense that everything outside of that that your eyes aren’t immediately centered on is going to be slightly blurry. In VR, for the current batch of technology, we are sort of going to have to accept that we are going to have to move our heads a little. It becomes natural very quickly of course.

I’d love the ability to move my eyes faster than my head (“his eye’s darted around the cockpit as he tried to identify the source of the smoke…”) but that is just going to be down the road at this point.

I dunno. It has been my experience that two different people will have wildly varying opinions on the same hardware, so all of these impressions are interesting, but I remind myself that people and their expectations are different.

It will be interesting to see how sales go as we are at an interesting crossroad where multiple techs are coming out nearly simultaneously, but not exactly simultaneously, so there might be this weird trend of a large chunk of people not buying anything for a bit until the whole circus is revealed. And then you have impatient gits like me that want the next wave so badly that we’ll gamble a bit on a good experience (as long as I can return it).

Fun stuff watching this all shake out though. Gonna go watch that MRTV Reverb video now…

2 Likes

Dont know if this qualifies as news exactly, but this statistics page at Oculus is new to me atleast, and I found it quite interesting, if not especially usefull.
Apparantly most users are on a GTX 1060 card (17%) and only around 3% on a 2080, while 1080 is 14%
Oculus hardware report

1 Like

Probably the nearest review we’re going to get for flight sims that a lot of us use here:

2 Likes

After testing the Rift S I’m left with a feeling that I’d like to combine the best features of the Rift CV1 and the S…and the Reverb seems to come very close to fulfilling this wish and exceeding it…

2 Likes

They all seem to be a compromise I think.

• Reverb is interesting for flight, space and driving sims if you have an expensive graphics card. WMR is not well loved though and takes an insane amount of tweaking.

• Rift S is a good all-rounder, although better sound and a mechanical IPD, plus a bit more of a competitive price would have worked wonders.

• The Valve Index is all about that $1000 and having room scale with great controllers. Valve don’t really care about sit-down sims.

So the Reverb screens and comfort, with the Oculus SDK but the Index controllers and tracking for about $600 would be nice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, the only improvement I really really really! would like the Rift S to have, is a physical IPD adjustment. Of course better resolution, and proper sound is always welcome, but the IPD is the only thing that really bugs me about the S.
Now, I am going to keep it, but I don’t think I will ever buy another HMD without adjustable physical IPD! So, digging in for a long wait here I guess.

Well, maybe Oculus will go back to a physical IPD mechanism for the Rift 2.0, but who knows when (or if) that will hit the store shelves. At least a year/18 months I would guess.

I’d buy that headset in a heartbeat! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I know, I’ll build one!

:wink:

It will be good when the OpenXR thing becomes real, in that the drivers and stuff can be common so we could mix and match a bit.

3 Likes

I’d just add that the Valve index, albeit pretty dang expensive, might offer a good sweet spot since it’s gonna offer better resolution and clarity than the Rift S, not as many system requirements as the Reverb (if you don’t need to run DCS at 144Hz) with good usability. Sure it’s a thousand bucks, but it may be an enticing combination…

2 Likes