VR News

Really enjoyed playing this - it’s on a free weekend. You do need room to wave your arms about a fair bit, but if you can play tennis or squash then you’ll love it.

But did you play it on…Mars?

1 Like

Hey now…

An advantage of not having the budget to buy VR yet:

5 Likes

The first to market with this VR accessory is going to make a killing :wink:

3 Likes

The guy who integrates this into a VR headset will be rich beyond his wildest imagination…

2 Likes

I’m super excited that at 2:40 he pulls for power.

2 Likes

Great minds think alike…
So why does ours…?

Seriously… How could I not see your post when I replied? :scream_cat:

1 Like

Nice Steam Sale list of VR titles:

Out of that I would really recommend The Solus Project, Dirt Rally, Elite Dangerous and Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad for VR play - all of those are about 50% off.

1 Like

How is Assetto Corsa?

A lot of people swear by it, but I personally don’t like it much. I prefer P-Cars to AC, but now that rFactor2 has VR, I can see me going back to that, cos I think it’s the best there is, if not graphics-wise, then for everything else.

As for the sale, I am very keen to get XP11 based on reviews, but I’m wary, as I didn’t like 10. I’m just about to install the XP11 demo to see what I think.

Then I’ll be buying RIDE - don’t know how I missed that when it was released (not VR).

I still have it installed, though, if you (or anyone) would like a quick race for fun. I don’t have so much time for racing these days, so I’m well out of practise, so no threat!

Assetto Corsa is the best Sim there is. Set toe in, set ride hight ect. ect. ect. I got Project Cars and at first I thought it was better… NO! pCars is IL2 1946 vs Assetto Corsa being IL2 BoS. (if that makes sense) I play in VR. It is the most fun you can have with your pants on for so many reasons. I drive the old Formula 1 cars and I love them. It really gives me the feeling of having my butt 3 inches off the ground while doing 280kph!!!
Its taken me 2 months to get decent at it. Against the AI Im having a blast. I bought a Thrustmaster F1 wheel… Wohooo! The tracks look fantastic and so do the cars, interiors ect.
Let me put it this way, I finally flew a dogfight in Normandy last night for the first time since it was released.

3 Likes

I agree. Assetto Corsa is currently the best I feel as well. I also put iRacing in the same level. Both are tops. pCars is fun and has some great qualities but it is lacking some things that Assetto does. Such as actual tire physics. However, all info available since E3 shows that pCar 2 out in Sept now will have it as well and it makes a big leap in accuracy and will finally be at the level of Assetto and will surpass it in several areas, such as weather, fluid dynamics and others. I am really looking forward to it.

Check out a couple of the vids if you have not seen

Some cool features coming in pCars 2 alright,

2 Likes

Well, back in the beta days of rFactor2, we had a number of races at SimHQ and they were easily the best fun I’ve ever had online racing. Not only the excellent FFB - widely acknowledged by open-minded folk as being the best around at the moment - but the weather system.
We had a few races around places like Watkins Glen in the GTs, when you had no idea which way the weather was going to go and it was a real toss-up with tyre selection and do I pit or stay out and try to find enough grip when the first spots fall on the windscreen. Will it throw it down or can I slither around?
It was just fantastic fun. They did go on to mess a few things up, but now that it’s been bought by a better bunch of devs, it is turning into what we all hoped it would - with VR as well.
For me, AC was too sterile and I didn’t like the physics (also an ex-amateur racing driver and rally co-driver myself, though I find there is very little comparison between real racing and PC racing due to lack of physics/gravity on the body and hence feedback to the driver).

As long as you are willing to plug in a steering wheel you won’t regret the purchase. I absolutely adore it.

Didn’t like the Demo for rFactor2 a lot.

I have yet to try pCars. I think it’s a steal currently. Those videos of the successor are looking impressive.

Agreed - although I might have missed the RF2 days…I really enjoyed my time on the tracks with other members of SimHQ.

That’s about my only obstacle. Clearing off my desk and mounting the wheel. In a perfect world I’d have some spy movie revolving desk that turns into the sim of choice at a push of a button…

That’s why I’m pointing to this condition. With game pad you won’t have much fun, I’m afraid.

I’m lucky that in my man cave… I mean home office… I have build a small table adjacent to my desk with a nice seat snagged from a car. I only need to move my monitor one meter to the right and I’m ready to sim.

This configuration is dual purpose and most of the time configured for flying. I can swap stick and rudder pedals for wheel and race pedals in around 10 minutes. But even this minimal amount of effort often keeps me from putting in a quick session of hot lapping after work.

I wonder if the space to the left of the desk is sufficient for another dedicated racing seat…

1 Like

Ya I’m considering dropping my yoke for the hotas to be more permanent instead. Don’t have a solution for my radio stack though since it sits on top… It’s hard to save space.

1 Like