VR News

Ah…no worries. Yeah, a bare bones sticky VR thread would probably be a good idea…but we (Mudspike) tend to avoid Stickies as much as possible because…well, we’ve been to some forums that are just overrun with them…and they require their author’s to keep them up-to-date (which rarely happens). I know it isn’t a great excuse…but we just don’t really have the resources to keep info on the cutting edge…so yeah, things sometimes get lost in the shuffle of familiarity in threads. Hopefully, when something new comes up (hardware wise), it will get a whole new post. As others have mentioned, I think we are in a bit of a long pause before the next great leap forward with regards to VR. Maybe next year (?)…

Ultrawings posted this on their FB page yesterday.

I just bought Onward - if anyone fancies a game any time…

Hey guys, I almost never play without my VR headset on. That has brought up some interesting moments. Like grabbing the top of the windshield to get out of my chair… Ive tried it more than I like to admit. Lately I was walking around a F1 car and I ran into my closet.

2 Likes

Dude…we are totally gonna have a Mudspike VR air race in multiplayer…! LOL…

1 Like

LOL…last night I let my son, his cousin, and my wife all experience Google Earth VR and they couldn’t get enough of it. While the Rift technology is cool…what is really amazing to me is that whatever tool Google used to make their maps (some kind of orbital radar mapping?) also shows the difference in the shallow end and deep end of my pool in 3D. It is kinda like…whoa! (Interesting that the imagery is at least 4 years old for my area since I put solar panels on my roof about 4 years ago…)

1 Like

I would say they probably used LIDAR.

Basically, you send a laser pulse and time precisely how long it takes for it to return. Incredibly expensive, and precise. You can get the height of trees, most of their leaves, and the ground below all in one sweep.

1 Like

Beach, the Google satellite images are a few years old. We looked at our house to see a car parked in the drive that we sold in 2009 and the workshop we built in 2012 isn’t there.

1 Like

I’m guessing a variable schedule based on cost and importance. When we look at the brewery in Charleston, the images are only 1-4 mos old based on the electrical contractor’s vehicles parked around the lot. I believe that publicly they state 1-3 years.

Wow, your swimming pool is almost the size of your house! BTW a good idea how to tell others “hey! look! I’ve got a swimming pool” :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL…actually, my house is not very big (2,000 sq. ft.)…so it’d be more appropriate to say…wow…the house is almost the size of our swimming pool…!

1 Like

I’m still running my 37 inch wide screen monitor via DVI off the 980 along with the Rift on the HDMI plug. Does this affect how much juice I’m able to push to the Rift? Especially since the monitor is still at full res, but a quarter of the size.

Can I disable the monitor while in VR so I’m not having to display two things? Or am I thinking wrong?

Thanks,
Jeff

I’m curious about this too. I usually “mirror” the VR to my monitor as well…but not sure if this causes any drain on the GPU or not…

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that mirroring the Rift display to a monitor has little impact. It is just the view from one side of the Rift (i.e. One eye’s view) so no extra rendering required.

1 Like

Yep I remember reading somewhere too that it just mirrors the output from the left display on the Rift to the monitor.

Quick vid showing those frames I bought:

https://youtu.be/5RnSBCbgRHI

some useful information, seems that the Vive can take a beating and still keep going. Decided to give Knockout League a go

Now it is pretty cool, basically Punch-Out in VR, but maybe all of 5 minutes into the game while ducking a punch I ducked right out of the Vive. It went flying and landed right on a glass shelf for the entertainment center. Good news both made it out 100% ok. Good to know the thing can take a knock or two and still be fine… phew!

1 Like

OK. Two questions:

1. If any of you picked HTC over Oculus, why?
  2. If I only plan to use the device for flight siming, do I still need to purchase any accessories other than the headset?

Thanks!

1. I didn’t. But I have never tried the Vive. Came very close today though :slight_smile: I did test the Rift though. And I read some comparisons that it had better optics.

2. No, not really. If you want to try “sims” like ultrawings, you will need the touch controllers.
    Touch controllers are pretty cool for other games and apps, but so far, for sims, they add nothing to the experience.

Only other peripheral I want to suggest for VR flightsimming is a HOTAS. That and voicecommands for some stuff like menu, maps, esc, and such. I see some users tweaking DCS and VoiceAttack to the extreme, getting voice ATC and flight/wingman commands. I’m not there yet :wink:

1 Like
  1. Why? Ignoring any technical aspect, I feel far more comfortable with the prospect of Valve behind it rather than Facebook. Valve is essentially the PC gaming market, I’m not too worried about them or their support going anywhere, games are their business.

Games aren’t Facebook’s main venture, it’s something they bought in to. It’s an asset that while they are pouring money into it for now, how long will that continue and especially if returns are not what they need to be?

TLDNR: I’m far less worried about long term viability through HTC/Valve than Oculus/Facebook.

1. Ditto what @Troll said, no need to really buy anything else for flight sims.

also as i didn’t see it mentioned in here before touch type controllers are on their way for the Vive

1 Like