Well Done! A "pat on your back" thread!

I don’t think you were ever going to be allowed to succeed in that role. You are too much of a decent person.

10 Likes

That’s a really kind thing to say paul. Thanks mate. My wife said a similar thing as well. I’m not cutthroat enough.
I’m sure I’ll be happier driving till I get my IR(A) certificate and crack on instructing.

:smiley:

4 Likes

Just stating fact. :beers:. I’d gladly work for you, however, I’m not that great at driving large vehicles, :rofl: so you would probably have to fire me! :laughing:

6 Likes

Thanks guys! @Victork2, it’s a dog eat dog world. Case in point: One of the biggest offenders was my bosses Husband!!! Talk about walking a minefield. I had to find a way around him. I was brutally honest. But she supports me.
Trust me, I worked for a lot of SOBs. I know how you feel.

4 Likes

Im sorry, I have now turned into my mother. I am taking this conversation and turning it into ALL ABOUT ME. Sorry.
I got my backpay today along with a bonus. I text my boss (im on vacay with my son). I said, I just got a bunch of money and I am blaming you. She said yes… you got your backpay and… “Your department won the best Service Desk Department Award of the year”… I was floored. Then she says, Everyone gets a 200 dollar bonus for that. I cant remember the last time I said, “I cant wait to get back to work”.
Thanks for letting me share.

12 Likes

Well, she’s obviously a certified mum, who raised you well!

Totally earned your pat on the back! :raised_hand:

4 Likes

I was just thinking yesterday how impressed I am with the folks on this forum; and maybe feeling a little bit small.
I guess this is as good a thread as any to tell you all that I quit my job 15 months ago. I had been a military aviation electronics engineer and a medical device designer; mostly embedded microprocessors, FPGAs, and coding, but I just burned out. After walking under a sign proclaiming “We Compete for Shareholders” on my way to my cube every day, my body just shut down. I kept dragging myself there, but I could not make myself do anything useful.
I took about 3 months to just clear my head. I’ve been asking myself if I should even be an engineer.
So, I designed a USB g-seat and decided that was stupid.

Then I wrote an RPG dice roller while building up my C++ and opengl skills (up to this point everything has been C and assembly (and VHDL)).

I’m still working on that and thinking of a rewrite.
I’ve written a few X-Plane plug-ins just to start working with that interface, nothing special as of yet, but I have an idea for creating missions that are much more involved and story driven than what I’ve seen available.

I’ve been wanting to get hold of the FS2020 Alpha so I could start messing around with the SDK, but no luck. :frowning:

I’ve always felt that my coding skills were lacking in algorithm development, so I’ve started working on that as well. So, today I coded a mergesort and was pleasantly surprised at how much faster it is than a standard bubblesort. So, I’m getting myself a pat on the back for that. I know, it’s been done before, but I did this one.

Edit: Changed screenshot of the dice roller to put my own image in the background.
Added image of g-seat.

14 Likes

Attention, ON!

3 Likes

WOW!
That’s insanely cool! :smiley:

3 Likes

That’s a great story about letting go. So many times in life, Money means nothing!
Good luck Goblin!

1 Like

Heart delivered…

22 Likes

You’re such a topper lol

3 Likes

An interesting story…it just so happens that an investment opportunity has arisen …the buy in just happen to be $200… :wink:

Just hoping the surgeon doesn’t pop in…

“Oh…just spent my morning flying around the country plumbing a heart into a totally different human being…whatchyou guys up to? vorpX testing really?”

5 Likes

Reminded me of this:

4 Likes

:rofl: I was literally laughing out loud because I knew the punchline that was coming…

“Did they keep you late at the space centre?”

2 Likes

Oh, that

1 Like

Hilarious! Almost exactly the same as the old joke about how you can tell which person in a crowded room is a pilot… :grin:

3 Likes

This is a great thread! I love learning about the lives of people I “know” outside the circumstances through which I know them.

1 Like

The company that I work for has been quite far behind the times in terms of technology. Up to about a year and a half ago, our entire office had workstations running Windows 7 32bit off of 2nd Gen i5’s with 4GB of ram and HDDs.

So we needed to spec out some workstations that would work for our “power users” including our CAD guy and a few others in the office that had obvious performance issues. They use AutoCAD (2D warehouse layouts etc, no crazy 3D architectural renderings) and some other design applications. Our preferred vendor is Dell, so I put together a couple builds via their website with Precision series small form factor towers (my boss’ preferred hardware) that would also be somewhat future proof and upgrade-able if needed (this was about a year and a half ago now):

CAD User Build
7th Gen I5, 16GB DDR4, 256GB NVMe, Radeon WX1200 2GB, Win10 Pro x64

Regular User Build
7th Gen I5, 8GB DDR4, 256GB NVMe, Onboard Graphics, Win10 Pro x64

One of each was purchased for trial runs, which went well (who doesn’t prefer boot times in seconds rather than minutes?) and a few more of the CAD build was bought to outfit our power users, including myself. Fast forward last month and with Windows 7 EOL, it was time to re-do the office. The regular build will work for the rest of our staff so my build (updated with I5-9500s since that’s what’s on market now) has been turned into a P.O. and I expect to deploy 10 in the next week or so and another batch of 10 later in the year.

To put this in perspective, I started there in 2014 doing order entry - it’s a small company of ~50 employees, and now I manage all the IT. This month’s task is taking a look at remote user performance issues (we recently went from a few to 15 sales reps with remote access), which came to being the fault of our dated 25 down / 10 up DSL internet. I’ve got my boss to approve getting real dedicated fiber installed (which was put in by the building’s previous owners). Sales team is happy to hear the remote desktop performance will get resolved.

9 Likes