Well Done! A "pat on your back" thread!

Honestly…I thought you were going to post…

searchlights1

4 Likes

They work - until you try to kill one, and the game crashes.

3 Likes

Great Job Wes. Your co workers are gonna love you man! Just be ready for two weeks of “How do I xx on Win10?” LoL
Hope you get recognition for this.

2 Likes

I do! I am paid quite well for someone my age and my annual wage increase and bonuses are excellent. I’ve got a write-up to share about Delivery Optimization on Win10 for our guys at home with multiple PCs and slow internet too.

1 Like

If I understand that correctly, that would be…me.

2 Likes

Nice, IT’ing entire offices into sweet computer bliss, flying hearts all over the country and rocking the hell desk like a boss…

And here I am feeling mighty for managing to get rid of a tree trunk a previous crew of gardeners left to rot. A lump of dead wood of about two to four feet in diameter. Boss tried in vain to get the thing with the digger, and it’s far too heavy to move by hand.

So when the boss was away and left the digger to me, I manhandled the bloody thing onto the diggers claw and carefully, slowly put it into the container. Boss and me were mightily impressed.

I love this work, its tiring and dirty and cold and muddy but in the evenings it leaves me dog tired and very satisfied. With a worse boss I couldn’t stand it though. Often these guys are harsh dudes who want it all done as quickly as possible and no regard for frail bodies, nature and other such girly stuff. Well this one does, and he’s always happy with our effort and ideas, and that’s great. I’d go to war for this guy.

13 Likes

I once heard, “If your Boss doesn’t think you walk on water, then find a new boss” I wish I had followed that advice. Luckily I got that kind of boss now.

6 Likes

Well, I just finished the voice over of my feature film (WAAAT) a week before it enters the sound mixing studio (It was quite late) and now it is mainly complete. (WOOT WOOT)

I feel like I took a 747 off my back.

9 Likes

W00T!
More info man!

2 Likes

Yeah, more info needed indeed!

I shot my film almost 2 years ago, and was editing it for the better part of last year. Finally the studio demanded we inserted some narration and we did, because ultimately it was a good idea - if done gracefully. But it never was. We struggled to get some narration done and compromised on a very mediocre text. The film was done but it was not the best it could be. Anyway we started post. It was too late to keep it on halt. The sound editing started, ADR recordings, visual effects. And next week it enters mixing. Last week I started a revolution, threw the voice overs out and called a writer friend to help me re-write it, to the dismay and haterd of the whole production. Eveen so I managed no negociate one week for a last try. And yesterday that week ended, The film has a new voice over and it’s better than it ever was. Not perfect by any means, but I can finally rest knowing that the film is ready - not only because it’s time ran out, but because it actually has reached it’s form.

I had a drink last night to celebrate. It was quite a friday .

14 Likes

LOL. I never really had that option. But seeing as everybody moves on to a new tour every couple of years, at least one of us was gone eventually.

One of my best bosses was a USMC Colonel at JAC Molesworth (EUCOM’s) intel center. He was the CO and I was essentially the ops officer.

About a week after he got there, we stepped outside for a cigar. After a minute, he got serious and told me, “After I was told I was coming here I asked around about you. Everybody told me that you were good and that, if I was smart, I should just leave you alone to do your work.” I nodded and said, “OK, Boss.”

Of course, the unsaid warning was, “If you are not as good as advertised, I will be all over you.”

He never had to step in. Great for him and good for me.

14 Likes

And that is a great Boss.

3 Likes

He was a great Boss indeed. He never had to step in but a couple of times he couldn’t help himself.

Once we were at a meeting hosted by the Brits at RAF Brampton, to hear about their new idea for getting imagery products to their forces in the field in Iraq. It was a good plan.

My Boss, having served in Iraq (to some notoriety: Google Iraq Colonel Devlin…yep, the same guy) piped up with an idea about a system he had used and why didn’t they try that. The Brits, with their usual polite aplomb, replied that they would certainly look into it.

At that point I leaned over and whispered, “Boss, they already have that. However it won’t work in this situation because it rides on a completely different network that cannot be extended the tactical level.”

He response was an embarrassed “Well @#%* !”

:rofl:

What a great guy. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Joined a new unit at work, won unit of the year award (wasn’t anything special by me, we all worked hard for it). Got a new Sergeant. In less than a year three of us filed a formal complaint with HR, IA, and the city EEOC office on the entire chain of command over the Sgt and their lack of response to his antics. 1 of use that complained was fired in retaliation (large settlement pending), one was transferred out of the unit involuntarily (they dotted their I’s and crossed their T’s so no recourse on that one), and somehow I weathered the storm and stayed. Within 2 years the entire chain of command from that Sgt to the Chief had retired (isn’t it nice how the big bosses always get to retire when they screw up?). I left that unit shortly after all that finished up. Unit is still a wreck, and I pity everyone who has come in to try and make it work since.

Contrast with my first patrol Sgt who managed to make the unedited version of “MF’er” a term of endearment, and if she walked into showup and said “hey dumba&&” the entire shift would expect she was talking to us. Chain smoked like a refinery, cursed way more and better than any sailor I ever met. She was also Momma bear, and would take stripes off people regardless of rank for messing with her people.

Sea Story (well cop story)

I took a report one time, and to be polite about it, completely half a**'ed writing it. It was a situation where normally we’d make an arrest, but with Sgt’s approval we didn’t have to. About the only part of that report that was decent was where I said “At the direction of Sgt. Murray #1369 no arrest was made.” The next day I get a call from a detective who verifies I was the reporting officer. He then proceeds to go off about dereliction of duty, that I should have made the arrest, etc. And that he is going to call my Sgt. About 15 minutes later the phone rings again, same number, and I answer. In one of the most pissed off, least repentant voices I’ve ever heard from a grown man, “I’m sorry” was said, and then the phone hung up.

I arrived at the sub, parked, and headed in to see Sarge, ASAP as I knew she’d want to see me. As I came around the side of her cube, before I could even get a word out. “Did that son of b**** call you and f****** apologize?!” (There was a lot more profanity involved in that sentence, but you guys get the gist). I knew that at that point if I told her what actually happened, she’d probably have the detectives head shoulder mounted and displayed in her cube. I told her that he had apologized, and that I knew I had messed up. She spent about 2 minutes loudly castigating the genetic stock the detective must have come from, since I had clearly stated that the no arrest was made at her direction. After that was finished there was a brief and ominous pause. “Now about that s*** report you wrote…” I shall break there and leave the reader to fill in what followed.

Thanks for looking out for me Sarge!

7 Likes

At JAC Molesworth I had about 735 people working for me. Mostly military (all services) and about ¼ civilians - gov employees and a sprinkling of contractors.

About a week after I got there I got them all together (we had to use an aircraft hangar) for my intro pep talk. Nothing too exciting. However the one thing I impressed on them was that, at the end of the day, ultimately they only had to answer to me. Nobody else. This was kind of important as, like the previous story, some folks in EUCOM (or D.C. for that matter) thought they could call my people direct to rag on them.

It worked pretty well. Then somebody (a senior SES) from a national 3-letter agency said that one of my civilians had done something wrong and told me that if I didn’t give them a formal, written counseling, they would. I told them to pound sand. It got ugly for a while…threatened me with some disciplinary actions. I told them to go ahead.

My boss, the USMC Colonel, came to my rescue. Ordered me to shut up and did the counseling session with the civilian that I refused to do. To say he soft pedaled the counseling was an understatement. My civilian walked out of his office with a smile on her face.

I never found out what he told the General (EUCOM J2) and the other 3-letter heavy hitters (SES-level) that wanted my head…but after that nobody said another word to me about it.

Strange that.

10 Likes

To follow up - all ten have been deployed this week with no major issue, or even particularly minor ones. Just user configurations like default font size, additional printers and the like.

I also got an upgrade to Office on the table and those that weren’t on 2016 previously (license moved over) got Office 2019 which deploys differently but some reading of MS Docs and a search for “Office 2019 xml configurator” got that covered.

Users are very happy that things are snappier, and one of the longest parts of the transition was waiting for the Win7 machines to shut down…seeing as how they are destined for recycle, some got hard shutdowns. :upside_down_face:

Next ten towers are going on order next week, and we’re waiting on a site visit prior to having the fibre internet setup.

6 Likes

Minor victory of the day, replaced my daughter’s laptop screen in less than 5 minutes with zero issues. The Nintendo 2DS XL screen continues to mock me however :rofl:

6 Likes

Due for an update - all 20 towers deployed.
We also got our fiber optic internet up and running.

The image below is just before we did the final connection (yellow cable coiled on the shelf) from the new gateway (Juniper NFX250 at the bottom) to our router.

We’re in the modern era and off DSL!

11 Likes

Wires…lots of wires…getting dizzy… :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Are you kidding? That’s some of the finest cabling I’ve ever seen. I take it you never checked the Signal guys wiring closets?

5 Likes