Well Done! A "pat on your back" thread!

I’m an ME! We deal with pipes and gears and steam and stuff…wires?…electricity?…signals? PFM

2 Likes

Typical DOD network cabling job:

9 Likes

Gazing, in envy, in your general direction.

I wish I had the ISP’s fiber install guy’s photos he showed us!

One had such extra long cables there was well over 20ft extra rolled and tied up hanging off the patch panels for one connection.

Another was a rack teetering atop an antique night table with a mish-mash of cables criss crossing all over and up through the ceiling.

A third he told us about included a crotch high cable spanning the room. To work in the server room involved carefully stepping over it like a cartoon spy and a laser trip “wire”.

He was quite happy working on our premises despite COVID concerns etc, for the clean wiring as well as because our server room is adjacent to a side door so he didn’t have to walk through our office space.

2 Likes

Cut the red wire!

2 Likes

I think that’s an OSHA garotte hazard…

1 Like

Now that’s a nice tidy rack (Networking Pr0n image)

1 Like

Just look at her. Note the intense focus. She’s like MacGyver. A bit of chewing gum, maybe some lipstick, a couple of paperclips. She’ll have Houston back on its feet just in time for the re-entry burn on the next orbit.

3 Likes

This.
Absolutely.
Enrages.
Me.

1 Like

I fixed a wheelbarrow today. Measured up the broken wooden support beam that had snapped near the wheel, purchased the replacement wood, cut it to size drilled the required holes and put it all back together. I know it doesn’t sound much, but anyone who knows me would agree that it was quite a big deal (I’m not good at fixing things)… feeling right chuffed with myself. Time for a beer methinks. :beers:

12 Likes

Fixing a wheelbarrow is definitely a beer-worthy achievement - good work! :beers:

3 Likes

ha ha - she prolly built it - and the rack to the left. She knows where it all goes.

2 Likes

We have a clue on where to find the bodies now!

4 Likes

I would argue that fixing the wheelbarrow is definitely beer worthy, and that any and all work that was to take place after fixing of said wheelbarrow should be delayed a fortnight to properly celebrate.

9 Likes

Can’t you get an E2 to go dress that thing out? :smiley:

At a previous employer, we had a guy, whom very much had the appearance of a Walmart greeter, both in age and enthusiasm, whose sole assignment was to keep three network closets’ cabling properly dressed. That was it. Paid him like 40k a year for this. He wore lineman’s shears on a neck leash, and taught me the proper way to put tips on cables (even though I was his boss).

4 Likes

Alas, I believe that fixing the wheelbarrow may have been a foolhardy endeavor. Much work cometh my way!

11 Likes

I like when friends barrow my ‘sweat tools’; “keep it as long as you like”.

2 Likes
5 Likes

That’s an excellent term. The sort of tools that combine exercise and work. Wheelbarrow, shovel, piledriver. Love 'em!

…and with a click of the “send” button the longest semester ever is officially done.

If you need me, I’ll be drinking Old Fashioneds, watching Clone Wars episodes, and building my Lego Correllian Corvette.

17 Likes