What are you reading right now

English. And I just did a bit of metareading, ‘reading about’ and the author suggested a search engine accompanying the reader. Well… not sure I want go such lengths.

1 Like

Oh I totally understand.

You have just described how I felt the first time I read Neuromancer.

“That sentence (or even entire paragraph) made no sense to me”

X pages later

“Oh, that’s what it meant”

I found the trick with a lot of his writing is to just push on and hope it all comes together and makes sense later.

1 Like

James Joyce would’ve totally recommended the same thing if they were around back then.

1 Like

Did you watch the TV series first? Did that help or hinder? I know when plots deviate significantly it can hinder understanding as things you expect to happen do not or in a totally different way.

I did not.

I will say the show starts rather straightforward, gets confusing, and then becomes understandable again as it gets to the end of the season.
There is definitely a sense of acting like the audience already knows the backstory without telling them, for it to be drip fed as time progresses, being used.

1 Like

It is a shame it was cancelled after just one season… maybe that is the reason, a bit too ‘cerebral’ for a lot of viewers?

2 Likes

Beyond the simple math of “not enough viewers” it’s hard to know. Not only do you have to ask people that started watching and never finished, you need to ask those who decided NOT to watch from the get go…

2 Likes

finished When Thunder Rolled.

I knew it was going to be good. I knew it from the moment I have read the prologue in a preview of Ed’s second book Palace Cobra long time ago.

but I didnt expect it to be THIS GOOD!

cant put finger on it but Ed’s art of pointing out the ‘sons-of-a-bi_ch’ in a not rude and not angry way is just so great to witness.

I consider Ed my friend now :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Working my way through the works of Field Marshal Lord Slim. Between the wars he struggled to pay his childrens school fees so turned to writing (anonomously). Both fiction and factual. His thoughts on leadership are issued to all British army officers when commisioned.
Only three Japanese armies were totally destroyed in WW2. One by Marshal Zhukov in Manchuria. The other two were destroyed by Bill Slim. India and Burma. Prior to these victories he kept his army intact during the longest retreat ever conducted by our army. Our greatest modern General and up there with the Duke of Marlborough and Wellington. He was the only Indian Army officer to become Chief of the Imperial General Staff. He is credited with most of the ideas that led to NATO.
His writing is delightful, skilled and informative. Even his account of his dealings with the taxman are highly amusing. Much of it available free on Kindle. Currently on “The General wondered why, and other short stories”

6 Likes

Following up on the Spearheard book about tanks by Adam Makos, I just finished up A Higher Calling by the same author. I recommend both books, but perhaps this one, about WW2 aviation, is more interesting here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Amazon.com: A Higher Call: An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-Torn Skies of World War II: 2015425255735: Makos, Adam, Alexander, Larry: Books

3 Likes

Even as tired and low as I can be - OMG this book…

is an absolute page turner… just as that book on anti-gravity : I can’t put it down.

8 Likes

I have been pretty sick the last couple of months, so I’ve been reading A LOT of books about Jesus. Currently reading “Jesus The Christ” By Talmage.

However, I am EAGERLY awaiting T.R. Matsons new book and Movers new Sci-Fi book.

4 Likes