What we watching? – Mudspike at the movies

They’re both good and worth watching AQotWF is told from the German perspective and in native German. 1917 is told from the English perspective. So both have something to offer

Separately, if you have Prime Video, you might want to check out Generation War.
A German mini-series set in World War 2. Another interesting series from the viewpoint of the German side.

3 Likes

Got Prime. Thank’s bud.

I’ll second that. It was excellent.

1 Like

1917 has a better musical score. And a different mood to begin with.

Also I like how it presents a cross section of the battlefield, rather than the usual „over the top and into the bullets“ way of depicting trench warfare.

That said being at the receiving end of the machine guns in aqotwf is still scary.

1 Like

KEXP does it again. Metric has been one of my favorite bands for a while.

1 Like

Before I get into Generation War, I’m wrapping up “The Terminal List” on Prime.

Ya, ya, lots of macho chest thumping Navy SEAL action but really fun nonetheless. :slight_smile:

I like how Reece took out The Terminal List’s author Jack Carr in episode 3. :smiley: spoiler alert

3 Likes

Yep. Didn’t mind that show. Never met a SEAL IRL, but most of the heavy hitters (including US guys… and a gal or two) that I have met or worked with are a ‘bit’ more, shall we say… unassuming?

Unassuming? Check out Kyle Morgan … just started listening to this Shawn Ryan podcast today but I had to stop as Kyle was lulling me to sleep LOL! …

That baby face is a certified hero! :smiley: ■■■■ man, this guy is still transitioning. These twenty year SOF guys are just a tragedy.

2 Likes

I will have to watch it, but yeah, it’s the quiet ones you really have to look out for. I knew/know a patrol commander (SGT) - 5’6" probably weighed about 60kgs, one of the most softly spoken and meekest guys I have ever met, but the last person in the world that you would ever want to F with :wink:

For the record. I am not and will never claim to be SF (I haven’t even attempted selection), but if you drew a Venn diagram of SF and Intel there is a fairly large degree of overlap - especially HUMINT where I did my ‘best work’, so I have worked with a number of different SF/SOF units from around the world.

It is a bit of a myth that if you don’t ‘wear the beret’ then you won’t be accepted. In my experience, if you perform (especially in the field), help achieve the mission and most importantly don’t slow them down; you are fine.

3 Likes

If anybody here enjoys a cheesy Hallmark -style holiday movie or five during this time of year like my wife does, I HIGHLY recommend “Falling for Christmas” on Netflix. And not just because I’ve had a crush on Lindsey Lohan since Mean Girls.

2 Likes

Now that’s news to me!
Thanks! I needed a new series.

My wife and I watched this the other weekend. I highly recommend it. It was superb writing, production and acting. A mind bender. Think Dr. Who but with a dark twist.

1 Like

Saw Devotion yesterday. Enjoyed it quite a bit and for a Hollyweird flick they were much better at sticking to the facts than normal. The movie was “Inspired by true events” and not a documentary so some creative license was to be expected. Flying scenes were good but when there were squadrons of aircraft in the air the CGI was noticeable to me. I think any Mudspiker would find the story interesting and the movie worth their time.

Wheels

7 Likes

Christmas With You is a nice Christmas with Aimee Garcia. It was worth watching, for me anyways. I have a thing for Aimee Garcia (Lucifer), so I might be biased.

I’ve also started watching Wednesday. I’m not really into scary/spooky type shows, but I started watching due to a friend’s recommendation and I’m looking forward to finishing it.

@RedBravo65 and @saghen Thanks for that.

I have just added Devil’s Hour and Wednesday to the list of shows to watch.

Right after I finish

2 Likes

My new favorite relaxation YouTube channel … Justin Barbour and his amazing Labrador Retriever, Saku. This Newfie is an EXCELLENT explorer, videographer and story teller …

Beautiful footage to inspire you and maybe catch a few winks. :wink:

3 Likes

Cheers, I will have to give that a go. The whole “life is better outdoors” philosophy really resonates with me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m 5 episodes into Peripheral. Pretty good so far.

2 Likes

@chipwich

You are two episodes ahead of me.

I will give a show three episodes before deciding to continue - and just have, glad to hear it is still good :wink:

1 Like
1 Like