What we watching? – Mudspike at the movies

I didn’t have any familiarity with the story outside of NF so that’s probably why I enjoyed it. (Nothing to compare it to.) Here is a link to the season 2 trailer which I thought looks great!

https://youtu.be/_MzbLQBeR9Y

2 Likes

I have no doubts! Production values are through the roof and acting is really good!
I’m looking forward to knowing your opinion!
:smiley: :+1:

1 Like

I thought S1 was really outstanding up until the finale episode, but glad to see it was renewed. That innkeeper is probably my favorite character, and judging by the S2 trailer, he is taking on a similarly prominent role. All good.

3 Likes

Yes, I liked Altered Carbon a good amount and will watch S2 no question.

Valerian was one of those films like John Carter that had famous source material, if not currently so, but was a swing and a miss. Should’ve been better than it was. The production values and budget were tops, but the casting was marginal and the script blah.

Between this and Suicide Squad I would’ve said Cara Delevigne was a lousy actress. But then I saw this on Amazon:

She was good there. It was a good show.

I also saw and enjoyed Dark Fate. It flopped, unfortunately, and made the least of all 6 Terminator films, but I agree it ranks #3 ahead of T3, Salvation, and Genisys. All were films with big budgets, like Valerian and John Carter, but didn’t cut it.

1 Like

I feel all of this so much…

The Bellboy (Jerry Lewis)

Probably been over 40 years since I last saw the movie. It has to be an age thing or a generational thing because it was not nearly as funny as I remembered. At one point I was focusing on how far out of line the chairs were behind Jerry Lewis.

Wheels

2 Likes

It’s a shame that Valerian was so awful - the comic books are amazingly fun (we read them in French class in high school), and while Cara Delavigne is very nice to look at, it’s the fact that her dad is a movie exec that got her acting roles than anything else she’s done. Shame the roles were so badly cast in that one.

Dolemite is My Name was a great ride, and it reminded me that it’s been way too long since I’d seen the original. Eddie Murphy NAILED the character of Rudy Ray Moore, and he had a spectacular cast backing him up. The costuming and setting were huge wins, and it really defined “the cool” of that time and place.

6 Likes

Yeah…noticed the same thing with the Three Stooges…

2 Likes

I’ll second Dolemite. I made my wife and daughter watch it. Sort of a cruel act on my part as this sort of thing is definitely not their bag (…baby). But they enjoyed it as the funky ride that it was. It was so good to see Eddie Murphy again do what he does so well. Otherwise, I haven’t seen jack that I thought was worth the two hours I wasted.

3 Likes

an Austin Powers reference. Well played Sir. :grin:

3 Likes

Isn’t wasting two hours the objective of movie night? Turn most of the brain and body off and just wallow in some fantasy world for a bit?

1 Like

Thought that was the pupose of DCS night… :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Cinderfella

One thing neat about movies that are this old is getting to see something you did not know. Seeing the KRCA call letters for channel 4 prompted me to look them up to see if it was just a movie gimmick or if those were the real call letters for local NBC channel at the time. To my surprise those were the actual call letters for NBC from 1954 to 1962 when not surprisingly they were owned by the RCA company.

Quote = Wikipedia
KNBC - Wikipedia

The station changed its callsign to KRCA (for NBC’s then-parent company, the Radio Corporation of America) on October 18, 1954.[5] The call letters were changed again on November 11, 1962, when NBC moved the KNBC identity from its San Francisco radio station (which became KNBR) and applied it to channel 4 in Los Angeles.[6][7][8] That call letter change coincided with the station’s physical relocation from NBC Radio City to the network’s color broadcast studio facility in suburban Burbank. NBC Color City, as it was then known, had been in operation since March 1955, and was at least four to five times larger than Radio City, and could easily accommodate KNBC’s locally produced studio programming. NBC Radio’s West Coast operations eventually followed channel 4 to Burbank not too long after.

On a side note, I never made the connection until I watched Cinderfella last night but the Hugh Grant, Julia Roberts film Knotting Hill is basically a remake of this premise.

I actually liked Knotting Hill better.

Wheels

2 Likes

I’m extremely pleased to hear it’s a good one. So so happy. Cannot wait to see this when I get the time…

Which is better though 2nd or first :wink:

2 Likes

Mind you I’m weird. SO my opinion might not be al lthat reliable for everyone… or as the Internets has it “YMMV”.

Beside that, the first it’s still the best for me.
The second is better from a production value, but if you look at what was achieved with how much dosh… the first will always be the best ever.

Went and saw Gretel and Hansel last night. Fairly artsy film. Some smart quotes in it that I laughed at. An OK movie. Not great, not poor - worth the matinee price. I can see why audiences that would prefer something with The Rock in it would not have the patience to sit through it…which is probably part of its poor general reviews.

I’m a huge fan of both TBH

The 2nd one will always have the higher place in my heart purely because it was just so amazing. I mean, Arnie. Minigun. Cop cars. 0.0

Awesome.

2 Likes

One of the few movies where the minigun sound is legit, instead of just a glorified MG sound.

2 Likes

What’s sad is after watching the behind the scenes stuff for Dark Fate it was obvious everyone cared so much, worked so hard, and believed so strongly in the end product.

Too bad the previous 3 films (especially Genisys) basically finally killed off the desire of the public to see more Terminator films.

If this had been the first one since T2 almost 30 years ago, I think it would have done easily several hundred million worldwide as everyone rushed to see Linda and Arnold at it again. Gabriel Luna was just as capable as Robert Patrick playing the evil Terminator.

3 Likes

OMG! All of that is SO true!
Agree a lot!