What we watching? – Mudspike at the movies

guys and gals - I rented Midway (2019) last night and, well, if Pearl Harbor was a 2 out of 10, Midway for me is like a 4 and a 1/2… The CGI looked like something between a Star Wars movie, a recent Jurassic Park movie one of those trailers for World of Warships. If it had one good thing going for it, including from some quality actors at the senior levels, is the fact that Disney weren’t involved otherwise they’d be planning a theme park and a Ride the Douglas Dauntless rollercoaster… actually maybe the rollercoaster is not such a bad idea!

It deserved to be better. I want to see a Nolan or Spielberg direct a story of this magnitude.

CGI is the only cost-effective way to do air combat that far back now. All the planes are largely museum pieces now, the ones that still exist. It’s not worth sacrificing one of those planes and the pilot’s lives when you can do it in a computer.

As Star Wars’ dogfighting was based on WWII films’ dogfighting, it’s no surprise they look the same. Lucas used clips from old B&W films in his rough cut of SW to show the effects guys what he wanted the shots to look like. They just copied the angles and movements.

2 Likes

Or that far ahead in the future!

…although, Star Wars was a “long time ago…” so technically … :thinking:

I’m not against CGI by any means and don’t expect a full-size USS Enterprise either, but when it’s used in an Independence Day theme-park like manor for the benefit of those watching in 3D, it ends up bearing no resemblance to reality and cheapens what could be an extremely immersive experience.

Caught a couple of episodes of Star Trek (ToS) on Amazon Prime.

Who mourns for Addonis and Mirror Mirror.

Wheels

Mirror Mirror…isn’t that where Spock has a goatee?

2 Likes

Yes, the first of many Mirror Universe episodes.

The other of course is the Apollo episode.

The one with the Greek god? Or the one where they are at Cape Canaveral? (with Terri Garr)

Think that was Teri Garr’s first credited role.

Wheels

Caught a few more movies on NF this past weekend.

First up was The Game Changers…basically about how eating vegan has helped athletes in there perspective sports and the science behind the why. Pretty interesting watch and while I have zero plans to give up eating meat, it did make me raise my eyebrows a few times and think I really need to eat better.

Second was American Assassin. This one wasn’t too terrible if you just took it as a popcorn flick (which I did). Kinda reminded me of a B movie of the Bourne Identity series.

The Gary Seven episode with Terri Garr was Assignment Earth.

A backdoor pilot for another TV series that never got picked up. Gene tried.

3 Likes

The premise for the spin off looked somewhat interesting but I wonder how many original episode ideas could have been thought of to maintain interest in the series?

Wheels

Have been watching this - know little of this era and cheering on the evil English of course

https://youtu.be/udtna7djtsg

4 Likes

Finished watching 4 of the 5 seasons of the Dick Van Dy ke show. For some reason season 4 is not part of your Amazon Prime subscription and I was not going to buy it to watch those episodes. I enjoyed the series because it brought back a lot of nostalgia from that era when I was growing up. Not sure if anyone who doesn’t have some personal point of reference to that era would enjoy it though?

Wheels

Turn was a really excellent series, well written and directed, with an outstanding cast. It followed the actual story closely enough and so intriguing were the characters, that I was compelled to explore the actual events.

A great series that left me wanting more.

3 Likes

Becareful! No spoilers please. I plan on watching this and I don’t want to know who wins the war… :open_mouth: :wink:

Fair point. Spoilers removed. I’m guessing that you’ll love it given your background. Another point that I neglected to make is that the tale is fairly balanced. While I wanted the revolutionaries to succeed, I sympathized with some of the British as well.

I agree, Turn was a good series. It was frustrating to watch as it came out, as I wanted more episodes. Luckily for you, they’re all available now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Halt and Catch Fire was good too.

1 Like

Capt. Simcoe was a ■■■■■■■ wasn’t he? Someone needed to teach him some manners. :grinning:

1 Like

Has anyone seen Medal of Honor - The Netflix series?