Where Are You Photos [2023]

It was only a matter of time before @Derbysieger would turn his not inconsiderable talent and technical abilities on the subject of Great Tits. We’ve also seen it with this French guy who draws airplanes so well :wink:

11 Likes

Ha ha.

2 Likes

I was working from home the other day and went outside to see why a large number of aircraft were passing overhead. I live about 7.4 NM on the 112 radial from the CHS VORTAC and they appeared to be on an RTB heading. Was impressive and magnificent. Very happy no Russian paratroopers landed in the front yard :smile:

11 Likes

Would have loved to seen that! I’ve seen 3 C-17’s start their approach to Pope (Ft Bragg) over Raleigh and they sure don’t fly like airliners :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A couple of edits from the Meridian trip

20 Likes

Superb shots Jeff!

4 Likes

Crossing the Mighty Mississippi at sunset yesterday evening, somewhere just north of Memphis. The photo doesn’t do the scene justice.

13 Likes

As much as we love Texas (moved here about 5 months ago), we’re not abandoning our loyalty to the SF 49ers. Yesterday, we invaded the Cowboys’ stadium. :football:

6 Likes

As a Cowboys fan I am really jealous.

Thanks, buddy!

So, y’all remember me and the crew drove down to Portugal to play in the woods? Well, yesterday that stuff got trucked to wet, cold, miserable holland, dumped in a big miserable pile and today me and the boys started work on making that sh** presentable for sale and use.

So sorting. Piling. Debarking. Of 15 tons of wet, more or less gnarly hard wood.

Old man had a contact, swore they’d take the lot, called a big number. Well old man left, so I asked him about it. Gave me the contact. Called them. Naw man, Portuguese hard wood not hard enough, we aint buyin’. Oh sweet joy.

Still, it’s good stuff, and I’m going to sell it. Maybe not make a huge profit on it, but I’m going down swingin’! :boxing_glove:

Huge props to the farmer who’s our landlord. He helped greatly with getting the trunks off the truck and allows us to use his terrain for the sorting and piling.

To give an impression of what this pile would cost me if I were to buy this many poles of Robinia for use on projects and stuff; about 27500 euros.

14 Likes

@schurem Are you going to mill it or sell as poles/logs?

2 Likes

That stuff has got temporary fencing poles written all over it! Good luck mate. I reckon that wont hang around long!

1 Like

The largest ones are about 30cm diameter, so milling is not going to work.
Fence poles and posts is what these are for. They are of a kind of wood that doesn’t rot because it’s slightly poisonous.. So nothing temporary about the things I’ll build with them.

4 Likes

Took my camera to the office since P-3s are always buzzing by. Stuck with a 200mm lens so I can’t capture much, and I always have this annoying fuzziness/noise. Can’t seem to get crisp shots.

Tried linking from Imgur to save bandwidth here but the embedded images wouldn’t show.

10 Likes

Imgur

12 Likes

What camera/lens/settings are you shooting? Have you tried a firmware update for both? I guess the other thing to check is did you inadvertently lock your ISO too high?

3 Likes

Yes this looks like it’s an issue with the camera settings or simply an older camera. You can easily get rid of it in software though.

Looking at the props you could lower the shutter speed a fair bit @Clutch and make sure your ISO isn’t too high

It’s a second-hand Nikon D3300 with the standard 55-200mm lens. I shot those in Aperture priority, f-5.6 at 1/640, ISO400 (I just use this as default since it’s what I used to use for film). Now that I looked up the photo data I wonder if I just had too wide of an aperture and too high of an ISO.

Just before this picture I did a reset of all the settings, did a “sensor clean” (not sure how that works), and turned off noise reduction–maybe that’s also part of it but some forum threads mentioned that feature actually making things worse. The firmware I haven’t messed with but it looks to be 1.0. Latest version is from 2017 :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

That’s actually pretty helpful.

Here’s what I’d try regarding the fuzziness:
Stop down to F6.3, F7.1 or even F8 and look what gives the best results. These cheaper Tele zoom lenses are never very crisp when shooting with an open aperture.

Next, lower the shutter speed to 1/250s and use ISO to get the exposure right. That way you get nice blurry props and at 200mm it’s fast enough to avoid shaky pictures.

As for the noise there’s really not that much you can do with that camera under lighting conditions like this. Programs like Topaz Labs DeNoise AI or DXO can help get rid of it while keeping most of the details but even a simple mask over the blue sky in Lightroom or PS and then applying NR only for the sky will get rid of it

Edit: Check this out:
Imgur

Taken with a much older camera and a 300€ 70-300mm zoom lens. Note the settings: F10, 1/400s, ISO 200

7 Likes