World Update 3 - UK & Ireland

Apparently not released today after all.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/blog-world-update-3-announcement/364098

Today was the/a release day but it got pulled. Looks like Feb 16th is the next try out.

Here’s a teaser trailer.

4 Likes

At this point I’m kind of just shrugging, as they have moved the date three times, and I kind of feel like “Fool me once…”

So… If it comes out Tuesday… fine.

If not… Also fine.

Whatever.

1 Like

out…

Microsoft Flight Simulator World Update III: UK & Ireland Now Available for Free - Xbox Wire

2 Likes

I think that’s an older update @HiFlyer? This one I think

3 Likes

So am I on UTC or not? :wink:

2 Likes

Wow that’s gorgeous!

1 Like

It’s the update’s loading screen, so not quite mine :stuck_out_tongue:. It’s positioned right over the Greenwich Observatory.

The only flight I did was a quick check on Barra Out Skerries in the Outer Hebrides. I’ll post a shot in a minute as it’s really nice.

Lots of new toys to play with, although a shame they didn’t do more custom airports - I guess pressure from the pro market.

Orkney’s looking great. Cheat weather though…

Ah, that’s better - weather set to real. Nice!

Argh, it’s windy enough!

4 Likes

It is amazing how much better the sim looks when you add some weather. I really like how the water looks when the wind whips up the whitecaps.

I’m still having intermittent internet due to the inclement weather. I got about 12Gb into the main update before it clapped out on me (using my iPhone hotspot to write this).

More screenshots please!

1 Like

There’s a lot of stuff. I think ideal for low down and props etc, so I need to change plane rather than shoot EGLL too low. :slight_smile:

It is a stunningly good looking sim, especially considering the shots above are ‘out of the box’. It has sort of ruined other ones for me a bit (for a while at least), especially now I am happy enough with the A320NX mod’d to a decent level of complexity.

2 Likes

They just finished painting it!

Edinburgh seems better, the castle looks right.

Druids aren’t going to like this

Going in to VR to try to do touch and gooooooooo-arghhs’s in the Cub. Check out the cross winds…

1 Like

The sim does look breathtakingly good. I made no bones about being skeptical of MSFS before release. I was 100% sure that I would keep using X-Plane, along with my extensive collection of payware scenery and aircraft while dabbling in MSFS out of curiosity but not committing to it in a meaningful way. That kind of went out the window back in August. I have hardly flown X-Plane or DCS since MSFS came out, and especially since the VR implementation came out in December.

1 Like

I suspect over the we will see a flurry of 3rd party fixes in the next few days as things broken by the update are hastily patched.

Any RAF bases? Cheers

I’ve got a terrabyte of Ortho set aside for X-Plane that is in real danger recently. One good thing is that they might make a real push on X-Plane 12 to be nicer on the visuals, and P3D/XP11 are still kings of the payware for now by far.

DCS is more a state of mind, in that for modern combat it’s either that or BMS F4, so it will always be what it is. It goes in cycles for me, and when I get bored of civ stuff it’ll be there (and probably pretty much in the same state anyway).

I’ll have a look, I think the area around the Mach Loop got updated at least in terms of elevation mesh, but they probably avoid too much photogrammetry around military bases.

1 Like

Since I’m pretty bad at screenshots, here’s the official UK & Ireland scenery video from Microsoft:

2 Likes

I just finished the download.
Just in time to turn off the PC and go to bed… grml…

I smell a partnership with L3… :eyes:

Yeah…I find myself easily able to adjust my mindset to the sim I’m playing. Whether it is twenty year old (gulp) EECH, VTOL VR, MSFS, or X-Plane…I sorta just go…meh…

walk poop GIF

1 Like

Lakenheath

Looks ok, a bunch of flat textures mixed with buildings, so it just looks like the typical AI render.

Agreed. I wonder if the sat data is limited for military installations.