X-Plane 11 Screens

You can start off ruthless, and then tweak it back up. I found the VR image quality to be quite decent. I have found the biggest thing to knock down is the object density.

1 Like

I’ll try that. Guessing all the trees and the terrain were taxing. Above Oregon where there are also a lot of mountains, I got 80+ 2d /30+ VR, which is not that good, but bearable. 20s is just to low. Flying low in the valleys may have an impact as well?

2 Likes

Testing single engine climb gradients… :fearful: (Yes, I got it feathered!)

11 Likes

The latest release from VSkyLabs (and their most expensive aircraft to date), the Icon A5.

13 Likes

Very nice!

I can see my boat from here!

I downloaded the mid-atlantic states z-ortho stuff. The is the Hampton River (creek) and the Hampton Yacht Club piers. My boat has been berthed in that slip for years.

I finally got the z-ortho stuff working…I think. I down load the torrents file, then do the torrents download, then unzip and finally do the whole JPG to DDS conversion via batch file (which took hours!)…and all my airport buildings disappeared…and t looks nothing like @PaulRix’s screen shots above…

5 Likes

My old favorite watering hole from back in the day is a bit further to the right in that shot, across the Bridge Street Bridge.

The sports bar?

There is a little utility to speed up the processing by spreading the work over CPU and GPU. Can’t look it up right now, because I’m in a content sensitive environment. But links are in the prebuilt orthophoto scenery page.

1 Like

I have to admit that I haven’t made any attempt to create my own Ortho scenery. It seems like a lot of work and you need a good internet connection, not to mention a lot of HDD space. That means I just go with payware packages, which can get a bit pricey if you are not careful. When it comes to X-Plane, fiscal responsibility is something I can’t really be accused of :crazy_face: .

Was that covered in Frog’s guide? I need to reread all that.

Marker 20. Basically lived there for two years.

Actually it was freeware download from this:

I got pretty used to how FSX does stuff…XP11 seems a bit easier but…

1 Like

We go to Marker 20 for VU basketball game watches. The owner is a HYC member.

Really nice use of the new gallery thingy Paul - thanks for trying it!

2 Likes

I have been hearing so many good things about the Hotstart TBM900 . Today my resistance crumbled.

6 Likes

A few more. It is a most impressive aircraft. I’m still getting to grips with it, but the attention to detail is outstanding.

9 Likes

Yeah…that TBM is one of those planes you can build a flight sim career around for sure. I don’t have it (yet) but all the little details and management stuff really makes it a stand-out.

Initially I was looking at the new Pocket Rocket, also sold on the X-Aviation store. That one looks like a fun little airplane that comes in both tricycle and tail dragger configurations. It uses the G1000 Synthetic Vision code developed for the TBM900. That led me to take a more detailed look at the TBM.

What impressed me most (apart from the stunning 3D modeling), was just how many things you can break by not operating the aircraft correctly. It was $20 more than the Pocket Rocket, but you get a lot for that $20.

I’ll probably pick up the Pocket Rocket in the not too distant future though. It looks like it will be a handful with a lot of excess power and torque.

1 Like

Isn’t that the truth. :smiley:

Why do I like my FSX A2S simulations aircraft over Carenado aircraft? Because I can break them if I do something as simple as start the engine wrong. Because if I forget to prime it won’t start and my battery may die if I try too many times. Because if I land too fast and stomp on the brakes, next time they may be too worn to safely land–and stop–before the asphalt ends…and so on.

The really silly thing is that if the brakes are worn, I might just fly anyway to introduce some suspense and excitement to the flight…something I would never do in the real world.

1 Like

Virtual life is cheap ;).

3 Likes