X-Plane Releases Thread [2022/2023]

didnt try the updates myself yet.

but regarding slinging with 500. it isnt that uncommon around here.

1 Like

Good to know! I guess that is true. One of my favorite videos is of a -500 flinging x-mas trees.

I have read good article about that theme just recently (not 500 but anyway)

The free Bell 47 is very nice. Not as visually refined as payware but certainly not ugly. There is no vrconfig so I made one:

A
VRCONFIG

BEGIN_TELEPORT_HOTSPOT SITTING
AABB -0.067 0 -0.550 -0.667 0.300 -1.150
PRESET_XYZ -0.367 0.150 -0.850
PRESET_PSI 0.0
PRESET_THE 0.0
PRESET_PHI 0.0
END_TELEPORT_HOTSPOT

BEGIN_MANIP drag_xy sim/cockpit2/controls/yoke_roll_ratio sim/cockpit2/controls/yoke_pitch_ratio
JOYSTICK_MANIP 30 -30 -40 40
END_MANIP

2 Likes

Oh…a freeware Dash 8 300… Looks interesting! I know it isn’t the one you fly @Troll - but it might be worth a look. I’m downloading now…

EDIT: Alright…just took it for a test run…pretty rough looking cockpit. Nice that it is free…but I probably won’t spend much time with it…

“I have included the 300 and the Q300 variants as separate models as the instruments are different and would not be easy to model in the same aircraft. The Q300 has 4 LCD displays, the 300 has 4 analogue displays instead.”

2 Likes

And…call me a fan…I like the work that MGouge does in tailoring X-Plane aircraft to have more realistic flight dynamics. I suppose the work is very personalized…and I can’t really say if it makes the flight models better or not…but it sure seems like a convincing spiel he publishes (:rofl:)… Anyway, his latest mod is for the freeware PA-18 Super Cub - link to the original Super Cub and MGouge’s mod file below…

Summary of his work on the Super Cub…

• The electrical system has been reconfigured to more closely match the actual aircraft. The radios now require both the Battery and Avionics switches to be ON to operate, and the lights require the Battery to be ON.

• Some of the panel instruments have been resized and repositioned for better appearance and readability. The colored limit arcs for the RPM and Airspeed gauges have also been updated.

• The engine Max Horsepower and Max RPM have been reduced to match the actual aircraft specs. (150 HP at 2700 RPM max).

• The engine idle RPM has been reduced to more closely match the actual aircraft.

• The flight model geometry and parameters for the wings and stabilizers have been updated to more closely match the actual aircraft specs. The wing dihedral and washout (twist) have also been added to match the actual aircraft specs.

• The Aileron, Rudder and Elevator max deflection parameters have been updated to match the actual aircraft specs.

• The size of the flaps has been reduced, and the flight model parameters have been updated to more closely match the actual aircraft.

• The single Center wing fuel tank has been replaced by Left and Right wing tanks to match the actual aircraft. The cockpit fuel selector is inoperative, but you can select the tanks with external buttons, switches or keyboard command assignments.

• The engine and prop sound RPM parameters have been updated to provide more realistic engine sound.

• The engine exhaust has been made visible.

• The default Pilot viewpoint has been adjusted to improve panel visibility.

• The default CG vertical position has been lowered to more closely match the actual aircraft, and to improve the pitch stability in response to power changes.

• New thumbnail Icons have been created for the XP11 aircraft selection screen. The aircraft name on the selection screen has also been changed from J-3 Cub to PA-18 Super Cub.

• A PDF copy of the original PA-18 Super Cub POH has been included for reference.

• VRConfig.txt files, which define VR Teleport Hot Spots for both the Pilot and Passenger seats, have also been provided. Just copy them into the PA-18 Super Cub aircraft folder.

• A new set of awesome FMOD sounds have been generously provided by @danhopgood1.

• The wing chord and wing area have been reduced slightly to more closely match the actual aircraft.

• The door and window can be opened by assigning the command CANOPY TOGGLE to a joystick button or keyboard key.

• The elevator and rudder control sensitivity at speeds above 60 knots has been reduced to improve the control response at higher speeds.

• The default takeoff trim has been reduced from +10% to neutral.

• The texture resolution for all internal and external objects has been increased to improve the overall aircraft appearance.

• A redundant duplicate cockpit object has been removed from the configuration to improve the graphics frame rates.

• The right wing NAV light has been repositioned to improve alignment with the wing visual model.

• The Battery voltage has been reduced to 12 V. and the amp/hour capacity has been reduced to match the actual aircraft.

• The Generator output voltage has been reduced to 14 V. to match the actual aircraft.

• The Starter amps have been increased to more closely match the actual aircraft.

• Colored limit arcs have been added to the Oil Temperature / Oil Pressure gauge, and the limits have been adjusted to match the actual aircraft.

• The Suction gauge has been resized and recalibrated.

• The Ignition switch has been resized and repositioned to improve its appearance and readability.

• The prop diameter has been increased and the prop pitch adjusted to more closely match the aircraft specs. The prop pitch for the Seaplane variant has been reduced to match the specs for this variant, which requires a climb prop to compensate for the increased drag from the floats.

• The aircraft has been retrimmed and configured to only use the more accurate XP11 Experimental Flight Model.

2 Likes

Cirrus SR22 coming for XP12. Looks nice enough. I’ve never been a fan of the Cirrus…at least the simulated ones. They look soulless. I know. Harsh. But I don’t know…I just can’t get into them. I’ve never flown one in real life…I’m sure they are amazing aircraft.

4 Likes

Alright…just took it for a test run…pretty rough looking cockpit. Nice that it is free…but I probably won’t spend much time with it…

that Dash 8 looks definitely promising.

regarding the SR20/SR22 (available for XP11 from Torque Sim) I consider them also little bit too sterile but I guess they must be perfect modules for people flying them irl.

1 Like

No I fly the 300 as well. But maybe every other month or so. We only have 3 of them left, and they’re normally down south, so I don’t get to see them that often. Mostly 100 and 200, which are the only ones that will fit the STOL fields.
Too bad I don’t have XP11 installed… I read someplace about a Dash8 coming for MSFS…?

1 Like

looking forward to trying that Bell47. would like to see some comparison video between this freeware and the payware from FlyInside.

A Dash 7 too… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I think SWS and Pilots are doing a Dash7 for MSFS… So, wait and pray.

1 Like

J-3 Cub coming soon. 3 variants included: Standard, Tundra, and Floats

https://youtu.be/s0JvDcK0OXA

What looks to be a nice freeware Zlin Z-242L…

1 Like

did you guys hear about this one? @chipwich ?

6 Likes

Thanks Nevo. Had not seen that but it will probably grant a stay of execution for my XP11 install. Look forward to following its progress. :+1:

Speaking of, I’m surprised you didn’t also see this:

1 Like

oh, I forgot about that Thranda Caravan :slight_smile: they teasing it regularly in the ‘What did you fly today’ pics thread for some time now.

it almost feels like the development of XP12 sparked some new activity among XP devs.

2 Likes

I ‘returned’ to XP for civi siming I have to say. while MSFS is just very good sim, I still prefer 90+ FPS on my pancake in XP. MSFS struggles at 40- FPS on my machine and I just cant torture myself :slight_smile:

looking forward to that Phantom also. definitely INSANE! move on their part. VSkyLabs have so many interesting projects in development but all are little smaller in complexity except maybe that F-19 Stealth Fighter :slight_smile:

2 Likes