X-Plane releases thread

Looks like another nice release from XCaptain - freeware Princeton, NJ (39N)…

Watch out for the wildlife on final…!

3 Likes

That’s awesome. Thanks for linking Beach.

1 Like

You might need to update/install the NAPS library. I’m trying to load that scenery and getting an error because I don’t have it…so I’m grabbing it now:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/30478-naps-library/

2 Likes

Yeah - NAPS library solved the scenery loading error for me. It’s a gorgeous piece of work…a very lively looking general aviation airport he’s created. Is that airport up in your neck of the woods @smokinhole?

1 Like

Looks like a lot of airports I am sure we’ve all flown into but nothing specificly recognizable.

1 Like

So ORBX picked an appropriate airport to be their first release for X-Plane - Meigs Field…!

3 Likes

Ok, I found this regarding Dreamfoil Creations helicopters an XP11 compatibility on forums.xp. It is from September last year:

Plus this from December last year regarding AS350 V2 for XP11:

2 Likes

That’s great news! Dreamfoil helo’s are my favourite!

1 Like

I’m downloading XP11 just now…
I haven’t used XP since v10.
Looking forward to try it in VR.
What aircraft can you recommend for VR flying?
Where do you shop for XP planes and scenery these days?

1 Like

http://store.x-plane.org/

OOOOh prepare to be amazed :slight_smile: I have no payware planes but I enjoy tootling about in my Beechcraft and the freeware DC3 is noice :wink:

1 Like

Great! Thanks.
I find that store a little cumbersome to navigate…
But I’ll find my way.
How do you know which aircraft that work well in VR?

Honestly, some of the stock aircraft are pretty good. You’ll probably enjoy the stock MD88 pretty well in VR - it has a nice feel to it.

2 Likes

I went on a complete X-Plane binge this weekend. It was a combination of bad flying weather and the recent acquisition of a (thus far) sublime Saitek X-56 and a killer set of Crosswind pedals. Flying has never felt this great! I started out cheap and downloaded the free-but-worth-so-much-more Bell 429. A bunch of you had mentioned it but I was too stubborn to hangar the 407 and try it. He doesn’t know it but @BeachAV8R sold me on the NYC scenery. Its pretty good but after putting in some hours I began to get bored landing on buildings and watching X-Life’s air traffic shuttle in and out of La Guardia. I recalled that I still hadn’t done any sling loading in X-Plane. Playing with the 429’s plugin (borrowed from X-Trident’s 412) I noticed SAR capability in addition to slinging. I had no idea! I almost bought the 412 just because I it was sweet of those guys to give away their plugin and good deeds must be rewarded. I will eventually but me and my wallet were distracted by Beti X’s Bella Coola, BC (CYBD). That scenery in it’s winter cloak is a VR dream. My goal is to “film” a recovery mission where I hoist a skier who had been severely injured in an avalanche and drop him off at the school in town where urgent care staff can prep him for the longer trip to a hospital. That was my plan but it isn’t easy going in and out of VR to play with the plugin. Just placing the patient successfully took hours. Turned out that I couldn’t see him because he was being graphically clipped by the steep incline. It took so long to figure it out that when I was finally successful I ran out of gas as I was reeling in the hoist. We rolled a thousand feet down the slope. It looked just like the UH-60 that got disoriented rescuing climbers on Mt. Hood years ago. It might be an AAR of sorts eventually but for now, off to bed happy.

6 Likes

I understand, pushing the BUY buton now! :slight_smile:

2018-03-11%2008_09_40-X-System

5 Likes

You have taken your first step down a deeper hole!

You will need a new hard drive for all the scenery your going to want to have :slight_smile:

1 Like

I swear…all my commission checks must end up lost in the mail. Sigh. One of these days my ship is going to come in…all of that money has GOT to be sitting in a warehouse somewhere!

They did a nice job putting together that little helo. You are right, for freeware, it competes with payware!

You will love the 412. It is fantastic. Word of caution though - I honestly don’t know how XP11 compatible it is - so DO check their forums at the .ORG and make sure before you hit the buy button.

Aha…that isn’t one I’ve bought yet. Now you are turning my evil tactics back on me. Hmmm…next sale maybe…

You may be interested - someone made some alpine landing zones for helos some time ago…lemme see if I can dig up the link…

Ah yes…these could definitely be put to good use in the backcountry…

1 Like

Nice heads-up. Thanks! (Not sure what’s happening on the bottom right corner of that shot). The 412 had it’s last update in December so it should be good. Plugins and VR are a hassle be can be overcome. X-Plane has already come up with a nifty VR config panel but it is up to airplane devs to incorporate it.

BTW, just to thoroughly beat the ASW dead-horse: It is a dramatic performance killer on my end. And Brett confirms this on his blog. They may have fixed it partially but it is still there. I have a workflow that is required when I exit out of VR to play with Plugin config panels: Go to 2d. Make the change. Go to VR. Go to OculusDebugTool and select “Auto” then “Disabled”. Fly. Leaving the Debug Tool open with ASW “disabled” is not enough.

2 Likes

Bit of a long shot, and I don’t have a numpad on this PC to even try it :slight_smile: but do the default Oculus shortcut modes work in X-Plane?

Numpad stuff:
CTRL+KP1 - Disable ASW and USE ATW
CTRL+KP2 - Force apps to 45hz, DISABLE ASW
CTRL+KP3 - Force apps to 45hz, ENABLE ASW
CTRL+KP4 - Enable ASW to operate automatically